Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2022, 09:54 PM   #1
Dan.in.Seattle

Electric tongue jack question

So tonight I’m dry camping in a Costco parking lot. Found a spot that is pretty level side to side but LevelMatePRO says I needed to raise 4” in the front. I used my bulldog 4000lb electric tongue jack to raise until level while still connected to the truck. (Can’t really unhitch in someone’s parking lot right?) This is about how high I need to bring it to connect the sway bars. I also put down my stabilizer jacks to hold things steady. Question is, will I do any damage to the jack if I leave it extended while sleeping tonight??
Thanks for any advice
Dan.in.Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:30 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Not going to hurt the jack.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:53 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

No worries for the jack. But when I have had to do this, I used a couple of the plastic “Lego” blocks under the truck tires to gain some of that height and take the stress off the hitch and the jack.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:40 AM   #4
spicercars

Nothing to worry about there.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:00 AM   #5
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.in.Seattle View Post
.... (Can’t really unhitch in someone’s parking lot right?) ....
Thanks for any advice

Is this some unwritten rule?

We use Harvest Host on every trip for a 'rest night'. Anyways there are times that I 'release' my weight distribution bars and jackup the truck, other times fully disconnect as we run an errand (actually I've found most people do this). And other times, just disconnect but leave the truck/hitch in the same position. What I've found is that many places like to limit generators and that is what we are trying to eliminate entirely.

thanks

Jay
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:14 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

In a parking lot like Costco, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc. disconnecting is generally frowned upon as taking advantage of their kindness. It is also appreciated (if not expected) that you will patronize the business while you are there.

Harvest Host is a different story and doesn’t really compare.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:20 AM   #7
notanlines

What they ^^^^ said. No problem and don't unhook.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:05 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

With 4k jack no worries. Let's say you have 1k of tongue weight. The remaining 3k is plenty of capacity to lift the truck. You are only supporting enough of the weight to relax the truck springs a bit and not the entire weight of the axle. As for unhitching, not unless it's absolutly necessary AT COSTCO, I.e. if your having Costco install tires. Hitched up you're visiting, unhitched you could be viewed as a squatter.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #9
Dan.in.Seattle

Thanks Everyone, I left it in the up position and it seems fine. Good to know for future stays! On our way through the Redwoods today

Recreational RV'ers
Keystone Springdale 179QWBE
2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 w/Tow Package
Dan.in.Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #10
travelin texans

Harvest Host is/was intended as a "camping" site so hooked or unhooked is up to you.
Private parking lots are just that "parking" lots for store patrons, if you need to use it for an overnight stay stay hooked up & spend money in the store or in the future pay for a campsite somewhere.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:40 AM   #11
jxnbbl

Thanks for the info as I've never stayed at Walmart, Costco, Cracker Barrel....I guess in a flat parking lot it wouldn't matter. I had just never read that as a rule. The only time I think I've generally unhooked is to fill up with diesel....if in a location where the local places were difficult to pull in to the pumps.

As for Harvest Host I think many have the wrong impression it isn't only farms, wineries, etc. And as with the places above when you arrive you have to "check in" with the manager and always confirm the local rules...But sometimes business with a shared parking with other businesses or even a public street. Each with their own rules/allowances. (attached pic) This is a brewery in Kentucky and the street is a low volume street in an industrial area. They don't mind you partially unhooking to level the rig, put out slides, nor run generators...Although not set out yet, I actually carry a cone that I used that night off the rear of the trailer. The one difference is Harvest Host has a 'reservation system' that links traveler to the business up to the number of parking spots they have.

My profile picture is another Harvest Host side...it isn't even their parking lot but a state of VT parking lot at a trail head used in the evenings as a 'truck stop' and overflow parking for the distillery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3834.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	39917  
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:01 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Funny. I stayed at a lot of Walmarts and other parking lots when I transported. Saw people changing wheel bearings and all kinds of other maintenance in the lots. I think the best one I saw was a couple who parked in the Walmart in early afternoon, pulled out their awning, camp chairs, grill, slides, unhooked the truck, went to the movies….they had a real nice campsite for the night, other than the scenery.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:11 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Funny. I stayed at a lot of Walmarts and other parking lots when I transported. Saw people changing wheel bearings and all kinds of other maintenance in the lots. I think the best one I saw was a couple who parked in the Walmart in early afternoon, pulled out their awning, camp chairs, grill, slides, unhooked the truck, went to the movies….they had a real nice campsite for the night, other than the scenery.
As a result of folks like you just mentioned we've been to several Walmarts that no longer allow ANY overnight parking.
The biggest issue is like state/national parks where the weekend warriors show up early Fri afternoon & leave late Sun morning & it looks like a tornado hit that campsite. Every bit of garbage left behind, typically the fire pit full of cans/trash & most times still smoldering. And the bath facilities......that's a whole nuther thing in itself. We've been housekeepers at a couple parks & could we tell you some stories!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:27 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

It's a shame but it's typically the inconsiderate idiots that ruin things for the majority. My DW's BIL got upset at Walmart a few years ago. They would cross the country with a little tear drop trailer and stay in their parking lot. He'd go in, by a bag of Cheetos then take about 20 bags to use for trash. A cashier called him out for it and said he was stealing (which is true) but in his mind he bought something so he was entitled to all those bags...... "You can't fix stupid".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue jack