Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #1
HRM7!

Inspection checklist suitability for SL 219BH purchase on 3/15/'22 (next Tuesday)?

(Note: re-posted to Prospective Owners area) -Bob

Hi - I'm new here but have towed a GeoPro 19BH TT for several years. I'll pick up a 2022 Passport SL 219BH at Windish RV in Loveland CO next Tuesday and would appreciate advice as to my pre-purchase inspection. I'll delay purchase if something serious shows up then. I've scheduled several hours to look it over prior to the one-hour official intro by their technician.

I'll attempt to attach the checklist I've developed for my inspection - if any of you have time to review and comment, especially concerning Passport-specific things to watch out for, I'd very much appreciate the help.

I'm OK with fixing the minor odds and ends that develop during trips (the GeoPro had several, including early brake drag fixed by a good tech at Windish, and an inverter I replaced twice with warranty-honored units from the manufacturer) - but it had no trip-stopper problems during about 20k miles over lots of the country. I'm hoping the Passport does as well. We just wanted a walkaround queen and bigger bunk beds for the gkids

I think our truck/trailer combo ought to be fine, based on lots of conversations about the truck (will use a 10K Equalizer hitch), but your thoughts on that are welcome too. We live along the Colorado Front range (just east of the mountains), so am hoping to have no issues pulling Vail Pass and the Eisenhower/Johnson slopes to 12k'. The truck pulled the GeoPro's 3300 lbs (dry) there easily. Pulling an extra 1300 lbs, 5' of length and a foot of extra width will take some adapating - I installed extended mirrors and will install a good rearview camera to help. I'll install a TPMS, but am looking forward to not worrying quite as much about a blowout given that I'll now have four tires back there.

-Thanks for any help you can provide. -Bob

2019 F150 crew cab w/3.5 ecoboost and max tow package
Attached Files
File Type: doc Inspection checklist.doc (33.5 KB, 142 views)
HRM7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRM7! View Post
(Note: re-posted to Prospective Owners area) -Bob

Hi - I'm new here but have towed a GeoPro 19BH TT for several years. I'll pick up a 2022 Passport SL 219BH at Windish RV in Loveland CO next Tuesday and would appreciate advice as to my pre-purchase inspection. I'll delay purchase if something serious shows up then. I've scheduled several hours to look it over prior to the one-hour official intro by their technician.

I'll attempt to attach the checklist I've developed for my inspection - if any of you have time to review and comment, especially concerning Passport-specific things to watch out for, I'd very much appreciate the help.

I'm OK with fixing the minor odds and ends that develop during trips (the GeoPro had several, including early brake drag fixed by a good tech at Windish, and an inverter I replaced twice with warranty-honored units from the manufacturer) - but it had no trip-stopper problems during about 20k miles over lots of the country. I'm hoping the Passport does as well. We just wanted a walkaround queen and bigger bunk beds for the gkids

I think our truck/trailer combo ought to be fine, based on lots of conversations about the truck (will use a 10K Equalizer hitch), but your thoughts on that are welcome too. We live along the Colorado Front range (just east of the mountains), so am hoping to have no issues pulling Vail Pass and the Eisenhower/Johnson slopes to 12k'. The truck pulled the GeoPro's 3300 lbs (dry) there easily. Pulling an extra 1300 lbs, 5' of length and a foot of extra width will take some adapating - I installed extended mirrors and will install a good rearview camera to help. I'll install a TPMS, but am looking forward to not worrying quite as much about a blowout given that I'll now have four tires back there.

-Thanks for any help you can provide. -Bob

2019 F150 crew cab w/3.5 ecoboost and max tow package
Just to point out a couple things!
First, you NEVER pulled the GEO at that 3300lb dry weight! That's the weight it rolled out the factory door. The dealer then added battery/ies, propane & any options requested before you picked it up & loaded it up. You towed it at or very near the GVWR posted on the manufacturers tag on the driver's front corner of that rv.
Same goes for the new Passport, the dry weight means absolutely nothing to you as far a towing. The Passport has a GVWR of 6430lbs, which with that size rv you will be at much sooner than later, that equals 800+ lb tongue weight + 100lb hitch weight + everyone/everything in the truck subtracted from most likely a 1500+/- lb payload, found on the driver's door jamb on the yellow/white tag stating "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs, of your F150.
Lots of folks, usually with very bad advice from dealers, get into a too much rv/too little truck situation using rv dry/unloaded/shipping weight along with truck manufacturers inflated max tow weight ratings, both these numbers are useless for real world rv/tow vehicle weight calculations.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:00 PM   #3
Balvar24

I've got a 2021 219BH and 2019 Crew Cab 3.5 Max Tow with 10k Equalizer. Works good so far. Obviously you should run the numbers rather than take my word for it. The numbers on my camper worked out with the GVWR on my sticker specific to my truck, as equipped with some wiggle room.

I pulled from Lamar to Durango Over Wolf Creek pass last year both directions.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:45 AM   #4
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:22 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Take with you a Robertson headed screw driver. Then, go completely around the entire camper and make sure EVERY screw is actually tight and fixed into something solid. You don't have to apply very much pressure on the screw driver to figure out if it's just screwed into air or actually connected to something solid. Take a roll of bright yellow tape with you, and rip off a piece of tape marking every screw that is actually screwed into nothing. Then, insist the screws be fixed by being anchored into something solid. I guarantee you, you will piss off the dealership by insisting every single one of those screws be fixed.

I think about 50% of all the outside screws on my last 2 campers were screwed into air.

Inspect the wheel well skirts. They are made of plastic and the screw holes crack out. Inspect every screw on the wheel well skirts. If one hole is cracked, the others will follow. On my last two Keystone campers, I've had this problem. Warranty replaced the first ones. Second one, all the screws broke through the holes, leaving the skirt dangling in the wind. Washers under the screws and attaching thin wooden blocks behind the fenders to actually catch the screws seems to solve that problem on the second trailer.

Tags
checklist