Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2022, 10:05 AM   #1
jcbush13

New To Forum Looking for Solar Guidance

I have a new (to me) 2021 Hideout 243RB that is "solar ready". Trying to determine if all I need is a portable solar panel and plug it in? Do I need a charger controller? Do I need adapter cables? Really confusing to me at this point.
jcbush13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your purchase. If your trailer has the small port on the front corner, then it’s just the wiring to the battery. Your portable panel should have a built in controller.

You’ll want to verify the port is hooked up and the polarity. Just use a Volt/Ohm meter set on DC volts. Put the test leads in the connections at the trailer, your looking for battery voltage, if it’s zero then either the wires aren’t hooked up or the fuse in the positive lead is blown/missing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:44 AM   #3
spicercars

Might want to post this under travel trailers for more response. Welcome from northern MN.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:14 AM   #4
wrvond

"Solar ready", "camera ready" or "anything ready" generally means that the wires have been run for you. To make it actually work, you'll need all the components. In this case you'll need (minimum) a solar panel and a controller. As Chuckster said, if you are referring to the Zamp solar connector, that is wired to the battery and only requires a solar suitcase.

Solar panels with just a controller are nothing more than a battery tender, really. In order to get real use out of solar you're going to want to maximize your battery storage capacity (multiple LiFePO4) and include an invertor. The more devices you want to run on 110 vac without shore power, the larger your battery bank and invertor will need to be. The larger your battery bank the larger your solar array (panels) is going to need to be. Also, to increase charging speed of your battery bank, you'll need a larger controller.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:21 AM   #5
curtiscapk

I have a 2021 177rd it also is "Solar ready" It is (Zamp brand ready) you either need Zamp or a converter for there proprietary wiring.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-...language=en_US

2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 08:13 AM   #6
Danshimt

Yup, portable panels are the way to go. They're easy to handle and can be adjusted for optimal sun exposure. Look for a kit that includes a charge controller – it's a vital component.
If your solar panel for rv has a built-in charge controller, great! If not, you'll need to grab one. The controller keeps your batteries safe from overcharging, so it's pretty important.
Danshimt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar