Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
KJcachers

Question stabilizers with a slide question.

Actually this is a question about the sequence of when to put down the stabilizers...before or after your run out the slide. I have read you do the stabs then the slide but would'nt that increased weight leverage of the slide hanging over the side put more force on the stabs on the side with the slide than should be there or is most of the weight carried carried back to the frame on the slide bars? silly question from a newbie with his 1st slide!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
rhminva

Great question. I'm also a newbie this year and am interested in the responses. I just returned from a trip yesterday (Shenandoah NP, Big Meadows). I put the stabilizers down then the slide. I noticed that the blocks under the stabilizers opposite of the slide became a bit loose after the slide was out. I just gave them a couple turns and called it good. I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference, but it would be good to get the opinion of the more experienced guys.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
riceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
Actually this is a question about the sequence of when to put down the stabilizers...before or after your run out the slide. I have read you do the stabs then the slide but would'nt that increased weight leverage of the slide hanging over the side put more force on the stabs on the side with the slide than should be there or is most of the weight carried carried back to the frame on the slide bars? silly question from a newbie with his 1st slide!
We too are newbies....and just happened to read about this very thing this morning in our keystone book that came with our toyhauler. In the section of Basic Slide-Out Tips before operating any slides---

3. The unit must be leveled and stabilizer jacks extended.

Hope this helps!!
Good Luck!
riceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

1) while connected to truck - level left to right (i drive on boards)
2) disconnect from truck - level front to back using front landing gear (or tongue jack if bumper pull)
3) rear stabilizers snug (front too if bumper pull)
4) then slides out
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
1) while connected to truck - level left to right (i drive on boards)
2) disconnect from truck - level front to back using front landing gear (or tongue jack if bumper pull)
3) rear stabilizers snug (front too if bumper pull)
4) then slides out
X2 but I will make the side with the slide(s) just a little higher so when the slide(s) are out the weight will level out the trailer. I will also go around and double check the stab jacks to make sure they are all down tight after running the slide(s) out.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
KJcachers

Okay so if the trailers settle after the slide is out, wouldn't that be putting extra weight on the stabs on that side? I thought they were just suppose to be snug and not be supporting weight?
I may go with leveling with the slide side a hair high to offset the settle, extend the slide and recheck the level and then drop the stabs. My 246RBS had a small slide so I am probably making too much of this but I like a good debate!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Okay so if the trailers settle after the slide is out, wouldn't that be putting extra weight on the stabs on that side? I thought they were just suppose to be snug and not be supporting weight?
I may go with leveling with the slide side a hair high to offset the settle, extend the slide and recheck the level and then drop the stabs. My 246RBS had a small slide so I am probably making too much of this but I like a good debate!
Yeah, it's not really that critical. Next time you're at the dealers lot, check to see how many of the model trailers have slides extended and no stabilizers deployed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
KJcachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
X2 but I will make the side with the slide(s) just a little higher so when the slide(s) are out the weight will level out the trailer. I will also go around and double check the stab jacks to make sure they are all down tight after running the slide(s) out.
I'm actually going to go the opposite of you. I will level the best I can but any error will be towards to slide side and then I will extend the slide. During a rain I want to make sure any water up there runs away from the seal, not towards it.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
shane772

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
This is what we do too. Only alternative I've come up with is to buy a camper with slides on both sides
Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
campingcpl

Quote:
I'm actually going to go the opposite of you. I will level the best I can but any error will be towards to slide side and then I will extend the slide. During a rain I want to make sure any water up there runs away from the seal, not towards it.
I have personally never had an issue with water leaking in around the seals or even water running back towards the seals with the trailer sitting level. The roof of the slide has a slight taper to it that will allow water to run away from the seals when the trailer is level.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
KJcachers

In going to ladder up to my slide after I am level and extended and put a level on things to see how it looks. Just an excuse to play with the camper some more!