Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
Pennylee

Noobe, here! HIYA!

Hello there- thank you for letting me join this group!
I know the only dumb question is the one that hasn't been asked yet but I'll try to keep mine to a minimum here---- (that's a joke, cos I gots PLENTY!!!)
I have a 2016 Keystone - Springdale
Floorplan: 282BH (Travel Trailer), that I will be pulling with a GMC Sierra 1500,slt, that I hope to have a grand ol' time with from here-onward.. So I am just moving this camper to a local rv park to move into...but why bore you with details now-hehe-plenty of time to do that in the future-hahahaha!!
So, with that, I will say good-bye, and be on my happy way to checking out the forums here!

Happy Camping, ya'll!!!
Pennylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:28 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennylee View Post
Hello there- thank you for letting me join this group!
I know the only dumb question is the one that hasn't been asked yet but I'll try to keep mine to a minimum here---- (that's a joke, cos I gots PLENTY!!!)
I have a 2016 Keystone - Springdale
Floorplan: 282BH (Travel Trailer), that I will be pulling with a GMC Sierra 1500,slt, that I hope to have a grand ol' time with from here-onward....but why bore you with details now-hehe-plenty of time to do that in the future-hahahaha!!
So, with that, I will say good-bye, and be on my happy way to checking out the forums here!

Happy Camping, ya'll!!!
Welcome Pennylee. First thing, if you have questions, put together a signature with year, make and model of the camper as well as the same for the tow vehicle. Will allow your questions to be answered with a bit more context and you won't have to keep providing this info.

Second, your camper is a bit heavy for your 1/2 ton truck. The rule of thumb is that the pin weight of a bumper pull camper is aboiut 13 percent of the gross weight. Add the pin weight to the hitch weight and weight of occupants in the cab and whatever else is in there and you are looking at the pin weight. Compare that to the yellow/white placard in your driver door frame. That tells the actual payload your truck can legally and safely handle.

Since the camper is over 32' long, you will need a top quality weight distribution hitch as well. Hope this has been factored in.

In any case, you seem to be a happy person and don't wish to dampen your parade but we are a safety oriented gaggle here on this board.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:26 PM   #3
travelin texans

I'd have to agree with George about checking the payload on your driver's door.
Your 32-33' rv has a GVWR of 9515lbs = 1230+lb tongue weight + 100+lb WDH hitch + weight of everyone/everything in/on your 1/2 truck that didn't come from the factory minus the typical 1500-1600lb payload of a 1/2 ton truck.
Also not trying to rain on your parade, just wanting you to know that you & yours, as well as everyone on the highway with you, will be safe.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #4
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia and safe travels to you.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
Pennylee

Thank you so much, George, for the information! So I am just moving this camper to a local rv park to move into. Do I have to Rent a pickup to get it there, or what do I do with this situation?
thank you for all remarks, and helps!
Pennylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you so much, George, for the information! So I am just moving this camper to a local rv park to move into. Do I have to Rent a pickup to get it there, or what do I do with this situation?

Penny your first post implied that you would be traveling with the 1500 and trailer (my impression). Is that correct or are you going to put it in a campground and never move it?

I suspect you will have problems finding a company that's going to let you rent a truck then drop a 9500lb. trailer on it as that will require specialized equipment..as in appropriate receiver, proper hitch, weight distribution bars etc. You might find someone to move it for you but be wary; I just watched 2 folks have older trailers moved into this park at the first of the month. Both tow vehicles should have never had a trailer on them and one, a Chevy S10, was plowing the ground with the ball shank trying to push into a site.

Elaborate a bit on your plans, specs of your truck etc. Look at the sticker inside the driver door and post the payload along with gawrs front and rear and gvwr so you can get more accurate advice.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #7
Essvar

Quote:

Just a thought but maybe the previous owner, or the dealer you are purchasing from can deliver the trailer for you? As noted previously, even with a bigger truck you'll want a weight distribution hitch to tow it safely regardless of distance.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #8
Pennylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Penny your first post implied that you would be traveling with the 1500 and trailer (my impression). Is that correct or are you going to put it in a campground and never move it?

I suspect you will have problems finding a company that's going to let you rent a truck then drop a 9500lb. trailer on it as that will require specialized equipment..as in appropriate receiver, proper hitch, weight distribution bars etc. You might find someone to move it for you but be wary; I just watched 2 folks have older trailers moved into this park at the first of the month. Both tow vehicles should have never had a trailer on them and one, a Chevy S10, was plowing the ground with the ball shank trying to push into a site.

Elaborate a bit on your plans, specs of your truck etc. Look at the sticker inside the driver door and post the payload along with gawrs front and rear and gvwr so you can get more accurate advice.
I fixed my post, thank you.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:52 AM   #9
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:05 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Congrats on getting your new camper. Welcome to the forums, and keep us posted how things are going for you. RV ownership is a completely different experience than anything you'll ever imagine. It cannot be compared to owning a stick and brick house, or an automobile. You will experience moments of elation and moments you wish a tornado with destroy the beast. You'll experience good camping neighbors and rotten ones you wish would just drop off planet earth and disappear forever. But in the end, the positives FAR outweigh the negatives and that's what keeps us all going!

Enjoy! Welcome to the forums!
Old 02-09-2022, 07:49 AM   #11
Northofu1

Congrats and to the forum

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:15 PM   #12
Gary R.

Hello Penny and welcome!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote