Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2021, 11:12 PM   #41
Electric Bill

Hello Kathy Ann, that is correct about using a 50 amp service pedestal. As long as you use a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. The reason the cord end melted is because the blades on the plug need to be cleaned occasionally with emery cloth or steel wool. Also can use sandpaper or wire brush. You want the brass to be shiny and bright. The receptacle where that plugs into the pedestal could be worn out and also tarnished/corroded contacts inside. Don't try to attempt cleaning that part since it has live power. Also difficult to get to those contacts. What I do is, plug your trailer plug in and out a few times. This will clean the receptacle a little bit. What happens is you get a connection with resistance due to corroded contacts. This creates heat and causes the melted plug. Especially when heavy loads are turned on, like AC, microwave or toaster. You can purchase new replacement plugs for your cord. The cord should be fine. Also the pedestal and your plug should fit tight. It should actually be difficult to unplug and plug back in. This means the contacts aren't worn out or burnt off in the receptacle. This problem is very common.
Hope this helps you.
Electric Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:51 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

I ALWAYS use an adapter at the end of my shore power cord. Why? Because a "sacrificial adapter" with burnt pins is cheaper to replace than a shore power cord/plug assembly. Using a "known good adapter" to plug my shore power cable into means that I always have clean, undamaged, tight connection between my shore power cord pins and the power source.

This way, if there is any loose, pitted, overheated damage to pins that is caused by the campground pedestal's worn, damaged plug, it affects the adapter plug, not the shore power cable plug... Sort of like wearing gloves to protect your hands from getting greasy when cleaning the stove or repacking wheel bearings.

This will NOT protect against a miswired plug or a voltage problem, so you still need an EMS to protect against "bad electricity conditions" but always using an adapter, even a 30amp/30amp adapter if that's the only pedestal plug to use, protects your shore power cable plug pins from the damage of a bad campground plug.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #43
wiredgeorge

Perhaps it is of note that the OP hasn't been on the forum since the evening of the 16th and while she may be surfing without logging in, she probably isn't seeing this but there is a ton of good info in this thread.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #44
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
always using an adapter, even a 30amp/30amp adapter if that's the only pedestal plug to use
That's a great idea. But where do you find those? I came up with a lot of 50/30s, and a lot of twist/no-twist converters, but no "short extensions." Even tried anticipating why someone would make one ("EZ-grip," "right angle") but no joy. Not even etrailer, who usually has one of anything.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

I made my own from an old 30:15 dogbone, but they are available, although difficult to find. Here's one source: https://www.superiorelectric.us/supe...ug-with-handle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30 amp to 30 amp adapter.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	37178  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
That's a great idea. But where do you find those? I came up with a lot of 50/30s, and a lot of twist/no-twist converters, but no "short extensions." Even tried anticipating why someone would make one ("EZ-grip," "right angle") but no joy. Not even etrailer, who usually has one of anything.

I use one of the extensions listed on the link. I would rather it get ate up by bad peds than my EMS;

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55215-1...5%2CB0024E6V30
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #47
LHaven

Aha. Found it in 30A. Should have looked for "powergrip" instead of "EZ Grip." Thank you!

The Superior Electric price floored me until I realized it was a 50' extension (despite the photo). Their shortest is a 15', but it's still pricey.

I'll probably pick up a Camco to use when I can, but I've had guests with PowerGrips who complained that the super-fat heads didn't fit inside some campground receptacle boxes, and/or kept the rain covers from closing.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:38 PM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I use one of the extensions listed on the link. I would rather it get ate up by bad peds than my EMS;

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55215-1...5%2CB0024E6V30
Danny, I had not seen that one on Amazon. They have the 50:50 amp for $22.95 and the 30:30 amp for $19.07. That's cheaper than (or close to cheaper than) building one yourself.... I'm putting both in my "wish list" as I don't need them now, but know I won't be able to find them again on Amazon "next year when I'm looking for one"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS