Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
JoeSparenberg

Converter stopped working

We travel in our Cougar since 9 months. The converter ran all the time, but last week it stopped doing its job. I checked the battery that shows 13,7 V with the shore connected to 120 V and 12,8 V without the shore connected.

Is this normal? Will it start working by itself?
JoeSparenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
mobile42

Joe,

What year is your RV?
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
mhs4771

From the readings you posted, the converter is still working. What makes you say it stopped? Or do you mean you no longer hear the converter fan running? If the cooling fan has died you'll need to get it repaired/replaced before the converter it's self overheats.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
Ruffus

Exclamation Converter

When my converter quit the batteries went dead, they won't charge even plugged in to shore power.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
JoeSparenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile42 View Post
Joe,

What year is your RV?
The RV is a 2012 Cougar X-Lite.

Probably it is the fan that does not work. We stay at the Oregon Coast right now, the temperature is 66° F.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
JoeSparenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
From the readings you posted, the converter is still working. What makes you say it stopped? Or do you mean you no longer hear the converter fan running? If the cooling fan has died you'll need to get it repaired/replaced before the converter it's self overheats.
Probably it is the fan that does not work. We stay at the Oregon Coast right now, the temperature is 66° F.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
mobile42

Well, first of all. Seems like you still have a warranty available so that can be fix by the dealer. I'm guessing that you have a WFCO converter and it's good for 2 years. I just replaced mine earlier in the year which was still covered by the converter manufacture. I was using my RV for a week in the 4 corners area during the winter and had to purchase a battery charger at a local Walmart (Farmington, NM) to keep my battery charge to enable the rest of the trailer liviable. When I finally got home, I ran all the test required as per the converter manual and it was bad. I read some forum that there was a bad batch of converters that were installed in many units but I don't remember the forum.
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
fred1609

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile42 View Post
Well, first of all. Seems like you still have a warranty available so that can be fix by the dealer. I'm guessing that you have a WFCO converter and it's good for 2 years. I just replaced mine earlier in the year which was still covered by the converter manufacture. I was using my RV for a week in the 4 corners area during the winter and had to purchase a battery charger at a local Walmart (Farmington, NM) to keep my battery charge to enable the rest of the trailer liviable. When I finally got home, I ran all the test required as per the converter manual and it was bad. I read some forum that there was a bad batch of converters that were installed in many units but I don't remember the forum.
We have a 2011 327RES and now I'm worried about the convertor....why would it fail so quickly?
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Ruffus

Lightbulb Why?

Hey Fred
Who knows why they fail, maybe Chinese diodes but you will normally get and indication that it's going bad when you 12 volt lights go dim then real bright and then dim. From my experiance this usualy means about a week maybe two then kapoote no converter.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, converter, voltage