Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #1
LHaven

Propane pigtails are hardly hardy

Today, DW went out to the TT to use the propane stove to roast some Hatch chiles (the only gas stove we own). Called me shortly after, asking me if I'd valved off the propane, because she couldn't get it to light.

Walked out to the rig, took off the shroud, found the pigtail hose cleanly blown off the tank screw-in nipple, and the tank bone dry (valve was open). When she was done roasting, I got out the wrench to remove the pigtail to take into town tomorrow. While fumbling around in the regulator area, I heard (and smelled) intermittent hissing from the other pigtail as it was stressed in various directions. Boogers! Valved it shut and removed that one also.

Had my last rig 20 years, and don't believe I ever had to replace the pigtails. This rig turned three last month.

Checked out Amazon, found a lot of Chinese junk with useless gauges on them. A couple of the longer, mesh-clad tubes looked promising, but wouldn't get here in time for our departure date. So I guess I'm going to have to settle for whatever Tractor Supply or the small RV parts store in town have in stock. I'm going to try to find something longer than 12", because those were pretty tight.

For future reference, does anybody have a favorite high-reliability brand they recommend?
Old 10-31-2021, 08:52 PM   #2
GHen

Propane pigtails are hardly hardy

I had to replace both pigtails on my 2017 for leaking also. Got them from Amazon, not sure of the brand, sorry.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:04 PM   #3
bobbecky

A number of years ago, we had a local propane dealer set us up with a 100 gallon tank so we could spend the winter on the family mountain property. He had made up a long hose and removed one of the pigtails from the regulator, and it was hard as a rock. He told me that the cheap propane hoses that are made with a plastic coating usually don't last more than a few years, but the better hoses with a real rubber hose last quite a long time. I managed to find new rubber hoses in the spring that year and still have those same hoses on the rig, still very flexible and no leaks.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
gearhead

I replaced one earlier this year. Wasn't leaking but looked terribly cracked. Three years old, took me by surprise it looked so bad. I told myself that I would look for a stainless steel braided hose replacement. I haven't done that yet.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #5
travelin texans

Your local LP distributor should be cable to make up whatever you want/need typically with better materials than those premade from China.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
Marineman

I bought my 2017 Cougar brand new and those pigtails were absolute junk. I could smell the propane when I was near the tanks and they would hiss if I moved the line back and forth at the junction where the line connected to the hose fitting. I replaced both of them and no problems since.

2017 Cougar 24RSB
2009 Chevy 2500 HD
Marineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
LHaven

So the guy at Ace sold me a 15 inch Camco with a flare connector and a flare–to–NPT adapter. I see the flare connector has a much smaller diameter than the NPT connector – is the narrower connector going to screw up my propane flow or pressure?
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Your local LP distributor should be cable to make up whatever you want/need typically with better materials than those premade from China.
X2
They use hi quality hose and don’t coast any more than cheap ones from RV stores.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane