Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #1
K_N_L

In-Command and Slide Operation

Sharing some info in case it can help someone out in the future.

My TH has the In-command 1st gen, it controls most things but NOT the HVAC. We started having an issue bringing in the wardrobe slide last year from time to time. It would always go out, but often would take repeated attempts to get it to start moving in. First noticed it generally didnt happen when the battery showed 13- 14.5 volts, (converter charging) so I would make sure to be on shore or gen power before trying. As with most things it slowly got worse. Last week, it would'nt come in when I was moving the camper around for a upcoming trip, and had to use the flex bit on a drill to get it started, but then the button on the touch panel worked again.

So I checked the cables, thought they might be too tight and not enough slack to give the motor a turn or two to 'spin up', nothing there. And for the battery, I had it happen with both my older 2 12v battery setup. and current 1 year old group 27 battery.

Yesterday it would'nt move at all again, so I pulled the cover on the Jenson BCM and had the same problem trying to get it move via manual controls on the system board. On a hunch, I reversed the 2 relays and bingo, the slide would come in but not go out. The picture is of the old ones that I took to get the part number.

BTW the back of the Jensen cover has a basic diagram of the wiring and relays.

So ordered a 2 pack from Amazon, these were Rayex LD-12F, cost $8.99, and replaced both the in and out for slide 1. Very easy fix and and back to working like new. For the cost, thinking about getting a couple of spares for the tool bag as there are these relays are all over that control board for everything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	36680  

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
ASCTLC

Good find.

Something to think about: since we all have way too much to spend our money on and so many things to carry as it is, consider just knowing you have so many relays already there to swap at the time if the need ever comes up again, then order a replacement if needed.

if some of you are like me, or how I tend to be if I don't step back and really consider whether I need a spare/backup, I can get carried away with just having a spare for everything only to find 5 years later 95% of it hasn't even been used or remembered.

The BCM relay is definitely one of those items we already have a lot of spares to swap around should the need arise with a frustrating surprise. Then save the money and payload for something that has no workaround.

Just a thought...
Andy
Old 10-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #3
K_N_L

Good point, I have whole garage full of things I might need.

And Amazon got them to me in less than 24 hours.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
Mikendebbie

In our unit - the living room lights have been slow to come on…more like blink-blink-blink for 10-15 seconds before they finally energize. I posted the question over on Montana forum, and one guy answered he had the same problem. He swapped relays around and determined the relay that controlled the lights was bad. I intend to check the relays in my BCM soon. Betcha this batch of relays came from the same low bidder!
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide