Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2021, 05:34 AM   #1
Zeus1950

Slide outs

Since we park out camper on a permanent site we are considering covering our slide outs with metal roofing over top to protect the top of the slide out. I have heard pros and cons of leaving the slide outs open all the time. Just reaching out here for opinions on the topic.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:44 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

As long as you don’t attach anything to the slide, you can “exercise” them say once a month or two. Maintain the seals and I think your good to go.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:10 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus1950 View Post
Since we park out camper on a permanent site we are considering covering our slide outs with metal roofing over top to protect the top of the slide out. I have heard pros and cons of leaving the slide outs open all the time. Just reaching out here for opinions on the topic.

What exactly do you mean by the above? Lay a sheet of tin over them or what? The cons of leaving them out forever have more to do with what Chuck mentioned vs damage to the tops of them. A little clarification would help.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
Zeus1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What exactly do you mean by the above? Lay a sheet of tin over them or what? The cons of leaving them out forever have more to do with what Chuck mentioned vs damage to the tops of them. A little clarification would help.
Ok so that makes sense you want to keep the motorized parts lubricated and moving and prevent the seals from rotting. Where we camp we are allowed to go out in the winter and camp just water is turned off. We have propane for heat so maybe the option is like mentioned open the slide out each time we go out and put some metal roofing just to keep the snow off if it snows while we are there on the weekend and close the slide out when we leave. What can we use on the seals to keep them moisturized if that is the proper word? We also have a hybrid with a slide out so I would want to use it on both. What does everyone recommend to lubricate the slide out motor?
Old 10-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I don't leave my slides out if my trailer is in "storage" or I'm away for long periods, too many things can happen. I wash my trailer about twice a year on avg. After washing I go around it again and wash the slide seals inside and out then come back around after dry and rub them down with Aerospace 303 protectant. Others use different products but you do need to maintain those seals so they will last. I have cable slides and the motors themselves do not require lubrication - just exercise them occasionally.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure what you mean by "a permanent site". Are you planning to make the trailer a "permanent structure" ?? Or do you mean that you've bought a site where the trailer will be "permanently stored and used when you're not towing it" ????

If you're going to "cover the slides" do you mean that you're going to build a "carport like structure" to back the trailer under? Or do you mean "build a permanent roof on the trailer and the slide tops" ???

If you're going to back it under a carport type roof, then you'll need to maintain the slide seals, slide roof and slide mechanism so they are functional when you do tow the trailer.

If you're going to make it a "permanent structure", then why not permanently close in the slide exterior so there are no "leaking seals" and since the slides won't be moved, just eliminate the slide motors and incorporate the slides into the "permanent structure" as well as remove the axles and place it on a permanent block foundation....

I suppose there's lots of recommendations, but the first (for me) is "What are you actually going to do" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:59 AM   #7
Zeus1950

What I am meaning by permanent camping is we don't pull our camper around from campground to campground we have it on a campsite at one campground. No there is no roof over top of it as this is not permitted where we camp.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

In that case, I'd recommend slide covers that retract with the slides. They cost about $300 per slide plus installation. They can be a DIY project if you're reasonably a handyman.

I'd urge storage with the slides in and extend them when you use the trailer. The seals and the mechanical components will fail if they sit dormant for any great length of time.

If the seals fail, the slide may still work, but torn slides mean leaking, issues with heating/cooling the trailer and they provide an easy entry for mice, snakes that follow them and insects.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
Zeus1950

Thank you for the input I will certainly look into that. On our hybrid now we are about to close up for the season and pull it home as it will become our traveling camper we have had the slide out out all season and never even thought about the mechanics of it. I think it will be ok I am going to get some lubricant for the seals and apply before we bring it in just hope there is no damage and it closes up for us.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Hybrids have 2 other issues. First, make sure if you pack up in the rain you open it up as soon as the weather permits and let it dry out. Water is the enemy of every trailer and building. Second issue with hybirds are the gaskets on the large openings for the beds. Treat them just likethe slidenout seals and pay close attention to any gaps, tears or rips where water can enter.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out