Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
Devin_Noel

Propane auto-switchover & poor performance?

We ran out of propane this camping trip. Not a big deal as I only open 1 tank at a time. Ran out of gas on the main tank so I opened up the 2nd tank. Little to no gas. Switched the tank selector valve over. Little gas, the wife was barely able to cook some sausage & eggs, which seemed odd to me that the stove kept on super low for quite a while. So we finished up the trip as planned

I just pulled the tanks to get them filled. Much to my surprise the 2nd tank was if not full, very much not empty. The POL fitting for the RV side of the 2nd tank hissed slightly for 2-3 minutes or longer after unhooked the 2nd tank.

Is there suppose to be a check valve on the RV side of the POL fitting? I'm assuming there is because only 1 if the 2 fittings was hissing while both were unhooked as the latent line pressure bled off. I'm also guessing that the check valve is jammed mostly shut causing little gas flow out of my 2nd can.

Just replace the fitting & hose then call it a day?

Does this valve auto-switch? Is the center position both tanks? Or off? I could have figured it out, but didn't bother as I assumed the 2nd tank was empty. Not going to put the tanks back on & hook things up until I get them refilled.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210927_190508.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	36055
Devin_Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Auto switchover regulators are designed to have the selector turned all the way to one tank or the other. There is an indicator that will tell you if the cylinder selected has propane ( green) or empty (red). It should automatically start drawing from the cylinder not pointed to.

Easy test: turn one both tanks and point the selector to the tank of your choice. Light a burner on the stove. Turn off the cylinder the selector is pointed to and watch the flame at the stove. If it goes out/low then your regulator is failing.

If it passes, do the test again with the other cylinder. Leaving the selector in the middle can cause the regulator to fail. I’ve had two in the last month.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
Devin_Noel

Filled up all my propane cans today. Hooked everything back up & the curb side can won't run the stove no matter how I fiddle with the selector lever. The indicator stays red as well. Street side can works fine.

I'm guessing busted switchover valve at this point. Possibly clogged hose. Worst case scenario I know to switch hoses or move the can to the other side if I don't get around to fixing things by the next trip or when the first can runs out.
Devin_Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

One more test: close both LP cylinder valves. Remove both pig tails, wait 10 seconds and then reconnect the pigtails. Point the selector to the street side and SLOWLY turn on the curb side cylinder. See if the stove lights, if not then swap the pigtails and repeat. We want to rule out pigtails before declaring the regulator done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:10 AM   #5
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
One more test: close both LP cylinder valves. Remove both pig tails, wait 10 seconds and then reconnect the pigtails. Point the selector to the street side and SLOWLY turn on the curb side cylinder. See if the stove lights, if not then swap the pigtails and repeat. We want to rule out pigtails before declaring the regulator done.
I learned this many years ago with gas grills and propane burners. If you open the tank too fast sometimes it overwhelms the regulator. I always just crack open the valve and give it a second or two then slowly open it the rest of the way.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:53 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I learned this many years ago with gas grills and propane burners. If you open the tank too fast sometimes it overwhelms the regulator. I always just crack open the valve and give it a second or two then slowly open it the rest of the way.
It's actually the rapid release safety valve in the tank that's being activated by quickly spinning the valve open.
It's designed so if you have a blowout that rips the LP line off the rv or some other incident with the tank valve open it will immediately shut off gas flow.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
RickV

👍Didn't know that. All I know is if I opened it slowly it worked.😎
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane