Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
CChambers

Rv gps

I searched but didn’t see anything off hand.

Another brain teaser for you smart fellers or fart smellers whichever applies-

I pick up our very first rv tomorrow-specs in signature.

My Pop called me and said he read that there is a gps/mapping app or website that is special to rv-ing. I guess it takes into consideration low bridges, skinny roads, steep grades, etc.

I have found the following:

TOGO RV
RV Life

I also see the different standalone GPS systems from Garmin, Magellan and Rand McNally.

Looking for insight or recommendations. Or do I just roll on with my google maps/waze and hammer down?
Old 09-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChambers View Post
I searched but didn’t see anything off hand.

Another brain teaser for you smart fellers or fart smellers whichever applies-

I pick up our very first rv tomorrow-specs in signature.

My Pop called me and said he read that there is a gps/mapping app or website that is special to rv-ing. I guess it takes into consideration low bridges, skinny roads, steep grades, etc.

I have found the following:

TOGO RV
RV Life

I also see the different standalone GPS systems from Garmin, Magellan and Rand McNally.

Looking for insight or recommendations. Or do I just roll on with my google maps/waze and hammer down?
I use a Garmin RV890 and like it. Tried RV Life but found it not very friendly or reliable....however that was an early version and may be improved by now. I do really like RV Trip Wizard - the RV Life companion app for actual trip planning. Well worth the yearly subscription. If you get that RV Life comes with it, so you can give it a try as well.

I don't think you will find many recommendations for using Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps etc. as a primary mapping method, but I think you will find most everyone relies on more than one source, so they are great as a backup. If we get a notification of something on the Garmin, we have Google, Waze etc. to corroborate.....because none of them are perfect. We always have the Garmin and Waze going and fire up Google as needed. We like Waze for the 'up ahead' notification - object in road, vehicle on shoulder etc. On a side note, Google street view is good for scoping out gas stations ahead of time to ensure you have easy ingress and egress.

Also, if using Google or Waze, you are reliant on cell service for routing, whereas an actual GPS is getting its data via satellite. However, any Live traffic - at least with the Garmin - will still require a cell connection as it's sent to the Garmin app on your cell phone and then delivered to the GPS unit.

Finally, I've seen a lot of experienced people here mention using the Motor Carrier's Road Atlas.....no reliance on computers or satellites there.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I'm surprised your search garnered few results. This subject comes up often and in fact was discussed just recently. Try searching "gps" or "rv map" and you may have more results.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm surprised your search garnered few results. This subject comes up often and in fact was discussed just recently. Try searching "gps" or "rv map" and you may have more results.

I was searching on my phone. Found a few when searching on laptop. You were one of the four or five I assumed would respond with some knowledge. Do you recommend one or the other?
Old 09-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #5
jasin1

I used a app called TruckMap for a trip or two..it was glitchy…truckers have the same problem with oversized rigs and there a a few different apps for them.

I have a garmin rv785 gps….I like it ..it has a built in dash cam also and linked to my phone for traffic…it’s about $500 but was well worth it to me …you can get similar versions of garmin rv gps units and may be able to find older models at a discount.

When your dragging a 36’ fifth wheel down the highway you don’t want any app confusion at critical exits…it happened with the truck app one too many times
Old 09-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #6
travelin texans

Used Google maps, the truck GPS & Motor Carriers Atlas for 10+ years fulltiming in with a 40' 5th wheel, never had an issue. Paying very close attention to surroundings & ahead is also mandatory.
Tried Waze for 1 trip & it seemed constantly to take us out around unknown traffic problems & always seemed it had us make 3 left turns in order to go right, deleted it rather quickly. Our son & DIL still use Waze & are always going the long way around to there destination compared to us using Google or the vehicle GPS.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChambers View Post
I was searching on my phone. Found a few when searching on laptop. You were one of the four or five I assumed would respond with some knowledge. Do you recommend one or the other?
I prefer an RV specific GPS. I don’t want to be in the middle of a complex 5 level off ramp that exits off the left lane and have the phone ring and look at a caller ID screen. First RV specific GPS was made by Magellan and I bought one. It was horrible, map updates cost money and it would lose signals constantly.

Bought a Garmin when theirs cam out (I used Garmin in cars) and had a good experience. I have a 7" Garmin RV (can't remember model #) but it has bluetooth, traffic, links to the cell phone for weather and hands free calling, and will display a camera image if in reverse. On mine you set up all the info including weight, all measurements, and even mount of propane. It will route around all the restrictions and it will also avoid turns (intersections) that are too tight for the rig. Never been "mislead" by it.

Like any computer if garbage goes in garbage comes out. With that said, I think one issue some have is with how they set it up and what settings are on or off that effects their results. I tease my DW about being "technically challenged" so I take care of setting up the electronics. Hope that helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:13 AM   #8
Roper46

I also use the Garmin RV 785 and love it. I have been a long time Garmin user before I started RVing. As stated, on the Garmin RV, a lot depends on the user input / parameters.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:11 AM   #9
notanlines

We use the Garmin 770 alongside the always trusty Trucker's Atlas. We buy a new Trucker's Atlas every year (Ten dollars at most truck stops) and give the old one away. We trust none 100%. And we would never put much trust in a phone app that disappears when phone service is dropped.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote