Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #21
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nryder View Post
How did asking about a backup camera turn into trying to voice your opinion about tv and Rv… that’s why I have gone to read only and it’s not very often anymore because as it doesn’t matter what the topic is it’s next post is beating someone up for the choices they have made.
The topic does come up a lot, but there are new folks joining all the time who fall into the same marketing traps. I think most folks want to do it right but they are being mislead by a market that needs higher accountability for the data they produce in an effort to more easily sell products. If the RV and Truck industries were more forthcoming about the safety requirements it would likely come up less here...and other forums.

No one is trying to pick on anybody. Safety is a genuine concern...not just for the driver of an unbalanced set up and his family, but others who share the road. If you and I were nicely talking about the weather and I knew that you were about to be his by a bus wouldn't you prefer that I gave you a heads up? There are many experienced RVers here who very quickly spot a potential weight mis-match and are just trying to help. When it comes to traveling 65 MPH, or more, with the kind of weight that we all haul, ignorance is not bliss. It's dangerous and potentially deadly.

The fault is with the OEM's. Until they are more truthful with safe towing requirements then forums like this need to continue to speak out to those who will listen. Many listen, some think they know better. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:02 PM   #22
Gar675

I use the Haloview rd7 long range on my 40' Alpine. Works great, but definitely need the long range version. Less expensive than furrion. Congrats on the new Alpine. There's a really good Alpine group on Facebook you should check out. It's my go to source.
Gar675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nryder View Post
How did asking about a backup camera turn into trying to voice your opinion about tv and Rv… that’s why I have gone to read only and it’s not very often anymore because as it doesn’t matter what the topic is it’s next post is beating someone up for the choices they have made.
Because folks care about other's safety and well being. If someone asks for a recipe on seasoning a chicken and states that they cook it to a temp of 120 deg or "rare" do you only give your seasoning advice or do point out the potential dangers and the very real possability of contracting dangerous diseases?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #24
Captainf2

So I understand the cargo carring capacity, I have a 2015 chevy silverado2500hd, 6 liter, crew cab, 4 wheel drive, my yellow sticker 2760. My friend just picked up a 2019 gmc Denali 3500 srw, crew, 4 wheel dura max, his yellow is 2350. Ok then, every fifth wheel needs a single cab 2 wheel drive drw to be legal then, RIGHT ?????????

I will wait on comments...........
Captainf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:35 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainf2 View Post
So I understand the cargo carring capacity, I have a 2015 chevy silverado2500hd, 6 liter, crew cab, 4 wheel drive, my yellow sticker 2760. My friend just picked up a 2019 gmc Denali 3500 srw, crew, 4 wheel dura max, his yellow is 2350. Ok then, every fifth wheel needs a single cab 2 wheel drive drw to be legal then, RIGHT ?????????

Probably need to see the friends sticker. I've seen lots of 3/4 ton diesels with payloads in that range but not a 1 ton - unless he's got some kind of super special, super heavy option on it. Your truck will have a better payload than a HD truck optioned with the diesel but the 1 ton would be better. And no, every fifth wheel does not require a single cab, 2 wheel drive drw to pull it. You would know that if you did some research.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:05 AM   #26
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Probably need to see the friends sticker. I've seen lots of 3/4 ton diesels with payloads in that range but not a 1 ton - unless he's got some kind of super special, super heavy option on it. Your truck will have a better payload than a HD truck optioned with the diesel but the 1 ton would be better. And no, every fifth wheel does not require a single cab, 2 wheel drive drw to pull it. You would know that if you did some research.
There are some folks out there that think you need a F-450 dually to pull a pop-up, but I think there are far more people that are over loaded. I wouldn't want to buy their used pick-up.

A big part of the problem is the manufacturers advertisements and rv dealers zeal to make a sale. The manufacturers brag about towing capacity when the real limiting issue is usually payload capacity and axle limits. A lot of RV dealers just want to make the sale and tell folks they are fine when they are right on the limits or even over the capacity. And then they have a lousy towing experience. Because of this it always seems like one never has enough truck.

My first camper was chosen 5 yrs ago for light weight and ease of towing because I make cross country trips. It was rated 6500 lb total and I had a new F-150 with the 3.5l ecoboost so I could tow anything. The truck was rated 12000 lb towing so I hardly knew it was back there, except when passed by an 18 wheeler. I found out I needed that WDH cranked up to prevent lots of sway. And with a crew cab with a cap on the back I was nearing cargo capacity. I thought I was way over-trucked but in reality it was sized almost right.

So I go to a 10k lb fifth wheel(pick it up next week) and opt for the F-350 so plenty of truck right? The diesel knocks about 800-900 off the cargo so I have about 3000 lb capacity. Not sure of the actual number as I don't pick up the truck until later this week. But if I load up the front compartment of the trailer and get 20% on the pin I'm starting to head towards the limits real fast. Once again I was thinking I'm way over trucked but in reality I'm probably just about right.

Its a good thing I read these forums (I'm still on the Forrest River Forum) or I would probably be scrambling at the last minute to move from a F-250 to an F-350, or would need to drop the diesel, hard to do have you've already received the vehicle.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:36 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainf2 View Post

I don't think you do understand the cargo carrying capacity. I would like to see that yellow sticker with a supposed 2350 lb max load capacity on the 3500. Not saying it isn't true, just would like to see that.

Comparing the two trucks mentioned is like comparing a red apple to a red pear. One is a loaded out top of the line truck and a 4 year difference. How does this matter? Well all vehichle change and typically with trucks the load capacity is higher the newer it is. Technology (lighter materials), and engineering changes make the ever changing competitive "max towing number" go higher and higher.

Now comes the "but". Towing capacity and carrying capacity are two different things. What effects load capacity? Well, it's not just the truck's frame, driveline, and suspension. It's what's on and inside the truck that affects' the amount of load capacity that's left after the truck is built. When that 3/4 ton crew cab truck comes down the line the same frame and sub assembly is used for every level of trim. So, that plane Jane, stripped down model with no options will have the highest remaining load capacity. It's simple math, the load capacity is a fixed number when the frame start's it's journey down the assembly line. The weight added to the truck i9s subtracted from that load capacity.

So, from that subassembly with the most capacity available if you opt for a diesel engine then it weight's 700 to 800 lbs more than a gasser. That's 700 or 800 lbs LESS load capacity. Then start adding the weight of all those "goodies" that come with a "top of the line" model like power seats that adjust in many many directions, power windows, power steps and running boards, powered and heated mirrors, on board air ride suspension. Leather seats that are heat and cooled. That "zone controlled" environment with all the added plumbing, air blend doors, fans, etc. The rear seat screens, the back up or all around view camera system and that nice big radio with the GPS that it displays on. That same sound system and it's bevy of speakers not only add weight but also the sound deadening so you can hear it. Those nice plush carpets, the extra fold down armrests, center console, and the nice sunvisors with the lighted mirror. It ALL comes off the payload. That payload number on the sticker will shrink substantially.

Then the customer gets' the truck and wants' to "improve" or "personalize" it. They visit the accessories dept. and get a bed liner, a tonneau cover (and if you're going top shelf may as well get the motorized one), tool box with plenty of tools, maybe a brush guard would look kewl so let's throw one of those on.

Now get ready to go camping and add a hitch, and throw some "essential" items in the bed like a generator, a chain saw, some firewood, an ice chest or two. some bikes for the kids etc. If the owner were to drive over a set of scales they would be amazed at how their "beast of a truck" that were assured "would tow anything on the lot" now is severely overloaded.

The statement "Ok then, every fifth wheel needs a single cab 2 wheel drive drw to be legal then, RIGHT ?????????" is just ridiculous. What every fifth wheel needs in an APPROPRIATELY capable and loaded truck. Folks that "go by the advertised" numbers using empty trailer "delivery weights" and tongue or pin weights, and advertised truck "max tow ratings" will be in over their heads from the start. The ones that use these numbers and often "pick and choose" which numbers to use while inputting the numbers into some BS "towing calculator" so they achieve the illusion of being able to use a truck because it will "be under the max number" (perhaps by less weight than a kids meal at McDonalds) are doomed to drown.

I hope this helps clarify why the truck you think is capable may not be.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #28
crowbar

Hi Steve - welcome to the forum from Vancouver Island. Used to haul loads of torch-on roofing material from Stockton back into Canada a few years back. Sorry I can't help you with your camera. Don't have one myself. Hope you enjoy your new trailer.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #29
Captainf2

No his capacity is less
Captainf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:09 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The topic does come up a lot, but there are new folks joining all the time who fall into the same marketing traps. I think most folks want to do it right but they are being mislead by a market that needs higher accountability for the data they produce in an effort to more easily sell products. If the RV and Truck industries were more forthcoming about the safety requirements it would likely come up less here...and other forums.

No one is trying to pick on anybody. Safety is a genuine concern...not just for the driver of an unbalanced set up and his family, but others who share the road. If you and I were nicely talking about the weather and I knew that you were about to be his by a bus wouldn't you prefer that I gave you a heads up? There are many experienced RVers here who very quickly spot a potential weight mis-match and are just trying to help. When it comes to traveling 65 MPH, or more, with the kind of weight that we all haul, ignorance is not bliss. It's dangerous and potentially deadly.

The fault is with the OEM's. Until they are more truthful with safe towing requirements then forums like this need to continue to speak out to those who will listen. Many listen, some think they know better. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.
Not to get too far off topic (OP hasn't been back in four days), I would enjoy seeing a picture of Teddy. Is he a schnauzer/yorkie mix?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #31
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not to get too far off topic (OP hasn't been back in four days), I would enjoy seeing a picture of Teddy. Is he a schnauzer/yorkie mix?

Yes, that's his mix. Here he is. These are from several years ago. He's 14 now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	301.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	34016   Click image for larger version

Name:	224.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	34017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140426_101503_169.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	34018  
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #32
kcotton69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
There are some folks out there that think you need a F-450 dually to pull a pop-up, but I think there are far more people that are over loaded. I wouldn't want to buy their used pick-up.

A big part of the problem is the manufacturers advertisements and rv dealers zeal to make a sale. The manufacturers brag about towing capacity when the real limiting issue is usually payload capacity and axle limits. A lot of RV dealers just want to make the sale and tell folks they are fine when they are right on the limits or even over the capacity. And then they have a lousy towing experience. Because of this it always seems like one never has enough truck.

My first camper was chosen 5 yrs ago for light weight and ease of towing because I make cross country trips. It was rated 6500 lb total and I had a new F-150 with the 3.5l ecoboost so I could tow anything. The truck was rated 12000 lb towing so I hardly knew it was back there, except when passed by an 18 wheeler. I found out I needed that WDH cranked up to prevent lots of sway. And with a crew cab with a cap on the back I was nearing cargo capacity. I thought I was way over-trucked but in reality it was sized almost right.

So I go to a 10k lb fifth wheel(pick it up next week) and opt for the F-350 so plenty of truck right? The diesel knocks about 800-900 off the cargo so I have about 3000 lb capacity. Not sure of the actual number as I don't pick up the truck until later this week. But if I load up the front compartment of the trailer and get 20% on the pin I'm starting to head towards the limits real fast. Once again I was thinking I'm way over trucked but in reality I'm probably just about right.

Its a good thing I read these forums (I'm still on the Forrest River Forum) or I would probably be scrambling at the last minute to move from a F-250 to an F-350, or would need to drop the diesel, hard to do have you've already received the vehicle.

What is the gvwr for your F350? I have a 2020 F350 SRW LWB 6.7L diesel Lariat and the CCC on it is over 4200#
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210615_231052.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	34106  
kcotton69 is offline   Reply With Quote