Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2021, 05:24 AM   #1
Michael In Oregon

Front Window Leaks

Back in the day I knew front windows were notorious for leaking. Well I made another mistake and bought with a front window. Seems to leak only when pulling in the rain though. I would have thought this issue would have been remedied over the years. Anyhow, anyone else care to admit they too have a leaky front window and what they did to fix the problem?
21' Chev 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
Michael In Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:52 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael In Oregon View Post
Back in the day I knew front windows were notorious for leaking. Well I made another mistake and bought with a front window. Seems to leak only when pulling in the rain though. I would have thought this issue would have been remedied over the years. Anyhow, anyone else care to admit they too have a leaky front window and what they did to fix the problem?
Since it is a '21 it is probably still under warranty so let the dealer mess with it..
I'd have to see the leak, but I wonder if it could be from the molding above the window..

When mine leaks, I'll most likely take it to a good auto windshield business I know locally..
Old 06-11-2021, 06:02 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Not doubting your assessment that it's leaking, but are you sure it's not condensation and "dead air space" ???

When towing, you wouldn't have Air Conditioning in the trailer, so it would be warmer inside the trailer than the cooler outside air (during rain). That could set up conditions for condensation rather than an actual leak...

While the above may be "far fetched" consider it....

Also, if it is a leak, it could be a "ripple in the fiberglass cap" that doesn't seal well to the rubber gasket around the window or it could be a "bubble in the sealant" that is making a channel for water under pressure while driving, is forced up and into the channel and then into the trailer....

If you're still in warranty, I'd let the dealership fix it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:30 AM   #4
BubbaShoots

I had the same problem. Front window leaked only when driving. I found a small gap in the weatherstripping at bottom of window. It was the seam where the weatherstripping was installed with beginning and end at the bottom of the window. It only leaked when driving because water was forced uphill by the updraft caused by TV. I fixed it with a little silicone. No more leak.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #5
Michael In Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Since it is a '21 it is probably still under warranty so let the dealer mess with it..
I'd have to see the leak, but I wonder if it could be from the molding above the window..

When mine leaks, I'll most likely take it to a good auto windshield business I know locally..
Yes, it is under warranty. Forgot to mention that. They are aware of it and have pictures. They're going to get ahold of Keystone and do there homework before I get it into them. Good idea on going to a auto glass shop!
Old 06-11-2021, 06:41 AM   #6
Michael In Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not doubting your assessment that it's leaking, but are you sure it's not condensation and "dead air space" ???

When towing, you wouldn't have Air Conditioning in the trailer, so it would be warmer inside the trailer than the cooler outside air (during rain). That could set up conditions for condensation rather than an actual leak...

While the above may be "far fetched" consider it....

Also, if it is a leak, it could be a "ripple in the fiberglass cap" that doesn't seal well to the rubber gasket around the window or it could be a "bubble in the sealant" that is making a channel for water under pressure while driving, is forced up and into the channel and then into the trailer....

If you're still in warranty, I'd let the dealership fix it.
I hope it's not condensation. If it is, it's enough water to have a fishbowl.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:07 AM   #7
Michael In Oregon

Here are some pics

The one with the actual water at bottom of window is a picture off the internet, but same trailer as mine. The other two are my trailer. Please tell me what you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_104600.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	34023   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_104539.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	34024  
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2021, 07:53 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael In Oregon View Post
The one with the actual water at bottom of window is a picture off the internet, but same trailer as mine. The other two are my trailer. Please tell me what you think?
Gap should probably be at the bottom of the window... Dealer, Dealer, Dealer unless it's out of warranty
Old 06-11-2021, 07:58 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Michael you need to let the dealership fix that if they can/will. Doing so out of your pocket might get a bit expensive. I just got mine back from the shop 10 days or so ago. One of the issues was the back window. I could tell something was wrong with it the way the window opened closed and the lines of it just didn't look right. It did not leak but suspect it would have had it been on the front.

SM said they pulled the window and the hole had been cut but was bowed in different places in the cutout (I thought they were CNC cut??). To get the window in they had just pushed and pried the frame to "make" it fit the hole making everything else whomperjawed. They had to recut the hole, straighten the frame and reinstall. Might be something like that. I've had 2 front window RVs (decades ago), one leaked one didn't so I kind of shy away from them. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #10
Michael In Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Michael you need to let the dealership fix that if they can/will. Doing so out of your pocket might get a bit expensive. I just got mine back from the shop 10 days or so ago. One of the issues was the back window. I could tell something was wrong with it the way the window opened closed and the lines of it just didn't look right. It did not leak but suspect it would have had it been on the front.

SM said they pulled the window and the hole had been cut but was bowed in different places in the cutout (I thought they were CNC cut??). To get the window in they had just pushed and pried the frame to "make" it fit the hole making everything else whomperjawed. They had to recut the hole, straighten the frame and reinstall. Might be something like that. I've had 2 front window RVs (decades ago), one leaked one didn't so I kind of shy away from them. Good luck.
Yes, I will absolutely have the work done by dealership. After warranty though I'll consider someone who specializes in windows. I hope I do not have to. Amazing the poor craftsmanship that these trailers are slammed together and yet get great reviews and recommendations!
Old 06-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #11
Michael In Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Gap should probably be at the bottom of the window... Dealer, Dealer, Dealer unless it's out of warranty
Sorta my thoughts too!

Tags
leak, leaks