Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
MightyKC

Utility or motorcycle trailer behind Cougar 330RBK

I have a 2019 F350 and a 2013 Cougar 330RBK 5th wheel. It would be a whole new life for the combo if I could put a trailer hitch on the back of the Cougar and haul an open motorcycle trailer and my Street Glide.
I understand I'll have to either give up or heavily modify the slide out 200 lb luggage rack from the factory. I'm a certified welder so that's not an issue.
Does anyone have technical info on what sort of hitch would fit without the cargo rack and what kind of capacity the 5th wheel could take? At one point I was looking at racks that would lift the whole bike up but I realize that the frame of the Cougar wasn't really built for that.
Thanks in advance for your help!
MightyKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
notanlines

Kevin, first and foremost, please tell me that you will take ahold of your handy dandy acetylene torches and cleanly remove that sliding POS. You being a certified welder, I'm going to assume you can engineer a safe hitch that will not weigh more than the one you just removed. At that point let's run this up the pole. Your bike weighs about 850 pounds, your steel single axle trailer from your big box hardware store weighs about 700 pounds. If we figure your tongue weight at 12% we're at a round figure of 200 pounds. This 200 pounds will be mashing down on the 2" steel ball. Your 200 pound mesh basket was mashing down at a considerable distance back. You decide. I see no problem. YMMV
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Curt Hitch markets a "bolt on/weld on" fifth wheel hitch rated at 3500 pound (max trailer)/350 pound (max tongue weight)...https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703

I have a "locally manufactured custom hitch" welded on my Cougar XLite fifth wheel. It was installed by a local welding company and has been in use for almost 8 years. I regularly tow a 2200 pound aluminum bass boat and for the past 3 years, have occasionally towed a 800 pound aluminum trailer with our SlingShot on it. The SlingShot weighs around 1900 pounds for a total of roughly 2700 pounds.

So, yes, it's possible to tow a utility trailer with a "road bike" on it.

I would add that I've seen some "much larger fifth wheels" towing boats or utility trailers that "I'd guess are well over 5000 pounds"... Last weekend there was a Forest River 36' fifth wheel (same Lippert chassis as Keystone's Cougar full size fifth wheels) towing a fiberglass I/O cuddy cabin boat on a triple axle boat trailer. I'd guess that boat was 24-26' long....

The "main caution" would be to make sure you fabricate something that is strong enough to tow your proposed trailer, welded to the frame rails, not the rack extensions AND... Most importantly, that meets the towing requirements for your home state... Keep in mind that most states have a 65' to 70' maximum combined length, so if your rig is already 55' long, it's going to be "longer than legal" before you leave the driveway.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
Canonman

I finally broke down and did exactly what you're proposing. The sliding rac was worthless for our purposes and Jim is exactly on point recommending cutting it off and replacing it with a frame mounted hitch. My welder did the job in under 4 hours and that included removing the bumper from the rack and rewelding it to the top side of the hitch. He said the final installation was class III minimum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5438.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	33776  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar