Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #21
Urbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda57 View Post
I understand the foundation issue for mounting the bracket to the door and the possibility of the things that might go wrong. Just looking for adhesive sealants that people have used to prevent water migration and some adhesive properties.
If you're looking for a super adhesive, Sikaflex 221 is awesome stuff, but may adhere better than you are wanting. It's an adhesive sealant that is far superior to other forms of adhesive caulk.
Urbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda57 View Post
I understand the foundation issue for mounting the bracket to the door and the possibility of the things that might go wrong. Just looking for adhesive sealants that people have used to prevent water migration and some adhesive properties.
If your intent is to secure the mount with screws, then I'd recommend butyl putty tape under the mount. You can buy a roll of 1" butyl putty tape that is 1/8" thick and on a 25' roll for about $5 at any RV parts store. There will be "clay putty tape" sitting next to it on the shelf. I prefer using butyl putty tape for almost everything on the trailer and haven't bought any "clay putty" in well over 5 years.

I have found that any "tube applied sealant" under a removeable item or under something that gets "twisted, pulled on, jerked or has screws that might loosen" will often need to be replaced/resealed through the years. Using "tube type sealants" makes it more difficult to reseal and the opened tube is harder to store than a roll of butyl putty tape.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #23
Urbish

Finished! This is going to work really nicely. I think I will 3d print a lower bracker that has a velcro strap through it to secure the prop for transit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210505_182304.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	33401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210505_182320.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	33402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210505_182323.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	33403  
Urbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:26 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There was a recent thread that recommended using the magnetic type door stops found at Lowe's or Home Depot. They will work to hold the door open "to a point" and then they will release the door. If you're trying to protect your son from being hit by a swinging door on a windy day, that type may not be what you're looking for. If it holds, you'd be OK, but if it let go, you've got an injured child....

As for "positive locking holders" there are two types, one is plastic the other is metal. Some people prefer the metal "because it doesn't break".... The problem is, since it doesn't break, it pulls out of the door or off the trailer sidewall, leaving holes or a bent door... Neither is as cheap to repair as the $5 door holder....

For that reason, I prefer the plastic door holder. It mounts on the trailer sidewall, just above the skirt/FILON molding and on the lower corner of the door. If the wind catches it, it'll hold but if someone grabs the door to close it, before tearing anything up, the plastic will break so the only thing damaged from "a gorilla attack" is the $5 plastic piece.

Here's one link to them on Amazon:

PLASTIC: https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bowe...0088726&sr=8-2
METAL: https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Aut...0088822&sr=8-3

I prefer the plastic
I like the idea of the magnetic holder, does it take a lot of force to close the door? Is it bad for the lamination characteristics of the trailer to pull on the skin like that? I’ve can’t even relax when the door is open and it’s windy out so I need to get either the magnets or the plastic door holder
Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I like the idea of the magnetic holder, does it take a lot of force to close the door? Is it bad for the lamination characteristics of the trailer to pull on the skin like that? I’ve can’t even relax when the door is open and it’s windy out so I need to get either the magnets or the plastic door holder
The one option no one has suggested .. why not have both? We don't camp with the doors open that often as it's too hot and humid around here in the summer and typically strong gusty winds here are followed by rain and lightning. I see no reason why you couldn't use a magnetic catch AND have a mechanical latch to use during "high wind" events. I think a lot of the discussion has been geographically based and what's "typical" on the high plains isn't in the NE or PNW or other areas.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:33 AM   #26
koda57

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts. In my typical camping when there is a breeze the door would be open, when it windy I'm closing the door and bringing in the awning. The door magnets use some type of double stick tape or mounting screw, which made me think about using 3m VHB tape along with the mounting screws. Any body used 3m VHB on Filon or removed it.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #27
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Danny this is off the subject but something I wanted to mention. We also have the friction type hinge. The door got where it wouldn't latch properly unless you firmly slammed the door. I keep trying to adjust and modify the latch, to no avail. I eventually realized it was the friction hinge providing too much resistance. I sprayed the hinges with a small amount of silicon lubricant and it solved the problem while still holding the door open in a breeze.
Ugh. If your friction hinge is too stiff, hard closing is the least of your problems—it can actually damage your door to the point where replacement is required.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #28
CedarCreekWoody

Ouch!. I can see where this could happen though.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote