Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
geb3

Superglide needeed or not?

Getting ready to but a Sydney 328FRK. Not sure if I need a SuperGlide hitch or not with the new front cap.
I have an 05 2500hd crew cab silverado short bed.
Any info will help as I'm looking at hitchs.
Thanks
geb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Keeper

There are other options for short bed trucks besides the Super Glide. All have pros and cons, including the Super Glide. So, I suggest you listen to what others have to say about each before you spend that kind of $$.

My previous rig was a short bed and I had a Reese Revolution Sidewinder, so I'll share what I know about that. The Sidewinder is not a 5th wheel hitch. It is a pin box that moves the pivot point of the pin box back to where the pin box is attached to the trailer (You Tube has some videos that will explain it better). By moving the pivot point you can literally make a 90 degree turn without hitting your cab. Sounds great, but there is a down side. Hooking up can be a problem at times because your truck has to be perfectly lined up with the pin box to get hooked up. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad but it can be an issue at times.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
billstuart

geb3.
I have a SuperGlide and I'm very happy with it - I never even think about the front cap hitting the truck. It does make some noises that can be disconcerting at first, though and it will slide and bang around when you're not towing so I bungie it down. I have a good friend who tows a 29' HItchhiker with an '05 Chevy crew cab short bed. He has a Reese manual sliding hitch - you have to get out and release it before backing and he says he has never released it and never had his front cap contact the cab. So, I suppose if you're feeling real lucky you could try a stationary hitch, but I wouldn't.

Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Outbackmel

Geb3 Outback

I have the 2011 329FBH Sydney and have towed it across the US and back and many other trips as well (We are retired and live just north of Atlanta). I have been in all types of situations and had to jacknife the rig at one situation, which, BTW, I do not recommend. We tow with a short bed Dodge 2500 crew cab, 6.7 turbo diesel. With the new style RV front caps, we cannot hit, comes close, but will not hit. Now I am not saying it's not possible, but HIGHLY improbable. I have a Curt hitch with manual maneuver position. I HAVE NEVER USED THAT POSITION. NEVER NEEDED TO. I have pulled this 36 ft er through many small towns in the USA, tight truck stops, unlevel, forsaken supposed to be campgrounds, etc ... up mountains, down mountains, lost in the mountains (only kidding) never, ever needed any type of slider. In fact, with the slider back, you have to allow for a wider turning radius to accomodate for the extra 2 feet.

No, I did not scrimp on cost because a slider costs more. After researching blogs, forums, etc, I came to what made me happy. My TV costs more than my RV so I certainly would have gone for another $500 if I thought I needed it. Always remember, regardless of choice, set your mirrors so YOU can see where they will clear. ESPECIALLY in those RV fuel lanes at truck centers.

Good luck on your decision and travels.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
rigby

We just went through this same learning process. Upgraded from our 18' travel trailer to a 2013 Copper Canyon 252FWRLS just last month. When researching our new camper and talking with the dealer, they informed me I would 'have to' get a superglide as my TV (2005 F250 Quad cab) only had the 6.5' bed. Looked like a nice setup, but it was going to be $1500 more (including install) than a manual slider. Dealer also implied that there were 'lots of horror' stories for people that didn't get the auto slider so I was concerned.

As others have mentioned, since our new 5er had a radiused cap, I was wondering just how much that would help with the turn and whether the superglide would really be necessary.

Long story short, I went with the Reese manual slider which tweety's just happend to have on sale with rail kit for under $500 & free shipping. After PDI we were able to do practice turns fwd/back right at the dealers back lot. The results were as follows:

For our specific rig setup, in the 'tow' (forward) position, it turns out that going forward, I can do a full-lock turn of over 270degrees w/o the cap approaching 'nervous' distance (ie: < 6") to the cab. Backing from straight to full-lock turn in the towing position, I can cut to an angle of about 85 degrees before getting close.

Experimented also with the 'manuvering' (rear) position just to see. Obviously a bit more angle availble with that but noticed that the tires and axles on the trailer really don't like being at those steep angles on pavement!

Took it out on the initial shakedown trip that next week and all went fine. Got in and out of fueling stations and campgrounds w/o having to move the slide hitch at all. I'm sure it'd be more of a benefit with other rigs and setups, but for us, I'm glad to put that extra $1500 into other things.

Cheers!
Steve W>
rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
KanTC

We have a 2006 Crew Cab with the standard 6.5 ft bed, and a Reese manual slider... have never "needed"
it with our current (or previous) 5th wheel, but it's nice to know we have it. I would suggest that you get
'some' type of sliding hitch - just in case - but do you "need" a Superglide specifically??... no, but those
who have them really like them.

There's lots of previous discussions about 5th wheel hitches... here's a few:

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5186

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3877

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4410

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6575

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
closesquarters

Same story. I have a manual (Husky EZ Roller) sliding hitch that I've used while 5th-wheel camping for over 3 years now. We camp nearly every weekend in the summer to various campgrounds. Never, never.... ever have I needed to stop and used the slider feature to make a tight turn forward or reverse. I like that it's there in case I need it, but doubt I ever will. TV was a 2005 short box F250, now is a 2011 short box Chev 3500.

2012 Keystone Montana 3582RL
2011 Duramax 3500 short box
closesquarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
chivas

Quote:
Originally Posted by billstuart View Post
geb3.
I have a SuperGlide and I'm very happy with it - I never even think about the front cap hitting the truck. It does make some noises that can be disconcerting at first, though and it will slide and bang around when you're not towing so I bungie it down.

Happy trails,

I know what you mean about the banging around when not towing. I put a piece of heavy duty round cardboard tube that I wrapped with HiGHVIS tape in between the way tubes. No more banging.

I love my SuperGlide. I went with the 18K. I have a 2012 3500RE.
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
poochy

Smile slider hitch

well I wasnt so luckly we bought a new 2011 fuzion 302 te lll love it dealer told me at pdi that with the new design of the front cap wouldnt need a slider so long story short pulled it 4 times no wories then drove thur a parking lot in kcmo very conjested made a left hand turn and crunch left corner of cap hit corner of cab 2010 dodge crew cab short bed large dent 1inch from window 1800 fix so im looking for a slider as we speak when in doubt by the slider happy camping butch
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote