Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
QCMan
Gone Traveling

22RBS slide topper

Keystone touts that all Cougars are built with slides that can handle slide toppers but they will not/cannot tell you where the backing plate on the trailer is. Best answer I got was to have it installed at the dealer as they know where to mount the rail. Long story short, the dealer had no idea and the factory would not tell them where it was because they did not know. Putting on a slide topper is a minor task so I figured I can mess it up just as well as a pro being that neither of us would know where it was. Got a Solera slide topper on sale and had it delivered.
BTW, a 22RBS slide takes an 8' topper.
Slideout end went very smooth as the instructions are excellent. Didn't hurt that Trailer Life had just done an install article on that topper. I figured I would drill a .030 hole where I guessed the middle rail hole should be. Got the side to side part centered over the slide and marked the center hole figuring that the hole could be filled with sealant if I was wrong.
Well, with the flange side of the rail tight up against the bottom of the gutter is where it should be. Found aluminum when I drilled just as when I was drilling in the slide. Made the hole the right side for the screw and ran it in so the rail stayed in place while the rest of the holes were drilled. There was metal for every screw.
Removed the screw, applied sealant and it was on. Keystone and CW called me and asked if I still needed help and I told them no, the install was finished. They both wanted to know where I put it and I just told Keystone "it is where it was designed to be". Where was that they asked and I told them "over the slideout".
Probably didn't make any friends there but I will be damned if I am going to tell a manufacturer where they put something. I did tell the service department at CW where it was as they are selling tons of Cougars and the top salesman is a long time close friend.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
koda57

I see this post is a couple months old. Didn't know if I should have started a new thread. I have some questions. I have a 2020 22RBSWE that I wanted to add a topper. Very good info posted. I'm wondering if the two models are the same structure wise?. I didn't read in the Cougar manual if the slide or trailer would accommodate a slide topper. Did Keystone mention if the trailer did have backer plates and it was ok to add a topper?. I don't want to damage the integrity of the structure. Is the flange side of the awning rail mean the mounting screws were on the bottom side of the awning rail channel?. Is it asking to much for a picture. Thanks for any input. This board has very helpful on tires, equailizers, batteries, heater anode and more
Old 10-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Easy slide topper install!

Hi. Thanks for asking. The pics should help with a lot of the explanation. I used a Solera 8' slide topper kit and it could not have been easier. If you subtract the anxiety and research time for trying to figure out where the sidewall backing plate was it was about a two hour project. The final bit of putting the fabric into the sidewall bracket is the only part that needs two people. Install brackets, have lunch, tighten bracket more as the butyl rubber compresses, have a cold one, tighten a little more, another cold one and a final tightening. Then install the fabric into the bracket and the roller onto the slide. Be very careful on the tightening as it is only screwed into a piece of aluminum. Any questions feel free to ask. Happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	419265D5-BE97-4007-8F68-58F5A94B33A4.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	30118   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8026E84-CB01-4D3F-8B34-DAD786C1CBD1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	30119   Click image for larger version

Name:	2455D1FB-C409-4468-9D63-3597EDD2F21C.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	30120  
Old 10-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
QCMan
Gone Traveling

BTW, the printed and online brochures state that the units are slide topper ready.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
Hi. Thanks for asking. The pics should help with a lot of the explanation. I used a Solera 8' slide topper kit and it could not have been easier. If you subtract the anxiety and research time for trying to figure out where the sidewall backing plate was it was about a two hour project. The final bit of putting the fabric into the sidewall bracket is the only part that needs two people. Install brackets, have lunch, tighten bracket more as the butyl rubber compresses, have a cold one, tighten a little more, another cold one and a final tightening. Then install the fabric into the bracket and the roller onto the slide. Be very careful on the tightening as it is only screwed into a piece of aluminum. Any questions feel free to ask. Happy camping!
QCMan, thanks for posting the write up and pics.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #6
QCMan
Gone Traveling

You are welcome! Most folks on the forums want to help and learn. By the time we get rid of our last RV we have learned quite a bit.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
koda57

I really appreciate the pictures. Thank you. This makes me fill better about doing it. I was debating white or black material. I think the white looks better then the black would, now that I see you picture. My door side awning is black. I have a couple more questions. My slide did measure 87 1/2' outside flange to outside flange. Was your 8' awning, awning width or fabric width?. Your rail mounting screws are on the top of the rail. Does it matter if the mounting screws are on the top of the rail, versus below the rail?. Did you use the access bracket in the low or high position?. I always worry about the wires that might be behind were you drill. Thanks again for your input. I like what you did to your car port for the slide to go out. Looks like you removed a vertical support and added a horizontal support. You solved the problem I have.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
QCMan
Gone Traveling

I believe it is 8' of fabric. They work best with a little overhang and I believe they only come in 6" increments. The instructions call for screws on top. Probably a wise move. To mount the bracket I put the base plate in the lower set of slots. I felt more comfortable with a little more clearance than the upper set offered. The drill I used had a stop on it at about 3/8" to eliminate the wire issue. As far as the carport, I took a measurement to see where the slideout needed to clear and luckily it was well below where the diagonal braces attached. Then I measured the span that was needed between the adjacent uprights. That length was above minimum clearance and below the brace. So it was just one cut and it is held up with a bracket on each end and one on each side of the supported stump. Used the same screws the port was assembled with.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #9
koda57

QCMan, Sorry to be a pain. From the picture it looks like your awning fabric goes to the otter edges of the slide flanges. My flange to flange measurement is 87 1/2", I'm assuming yours is the same?. Based on that the fabric would be 87" and a 9' awning according to Solera website. That is were I'm confused. Solera has you add 9" to your slide flange to flange measurement. So in my case of the flange to flange being 87 1/2" plus the 9" is 96 1/2", but the fabric size for 8' awning is 77" of fabric. My slide 80 1/2" and it wouldn't cover it. Yours look correct and sure couldn't go bigger, but had room to go smaller. That's why I was curious what your fabric size was?. I hate doing research when you haven't done this type of install before. The dealer wanted almost $1000.00 to do it when I bought the trailer. Thanks again
Old 10-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #10
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Just went out and got the paperwork for the slide and it states it is a 96" slide-topper. And yes, the slide is 87.5" wide. $1,000 just to install the topper or did that include the topper? Either way, they gave you a "we don't want to do it" price! I found a sale and paid somewhere in the mid $200 range. At about $375 an hour for labor the dealer is really raking it in. It is an easy job that just takes attention to the details.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0B76C6AF-A625-44DD-9E95-7DDF32FDF9A9.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	30153  
Old 10-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #11
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Sorry about the upside down pic. This might be better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	824CC7DA-F609-4A26-BA4A-F70F1310063E.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	30154  
Old 10-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #12
koda57

Thanks you for your help and the additional information. That was for parts and labor. I think it was around 600.00 in labor. I figured they probably did it all the time, but I was shocked at that price. So here I am trying to figure it out and I know I have a better undestanding of what to do. P.S. plus now I know how to modify my trailer cover. Good people on this forum.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #13
koda57

I have order my topper and I'm sorry again for asking so many questions. I have watched a lot of Solera Topper mounting videos by everyone. An install video put out by LCI/Solera showed and stated the rail opening could be mounted on top(screws on bottom) to cover the screws by the awning. Other video I watched show it either way. I know the installation instruction show the screws on the top. So my question is do you feel there is a benefit or disadvantage either way. Just curious if you would of done it differently now that you have completed your install. The screws on the bottom would cover the screws and give you slightly more awning slope. The screws on top get the mounting screws closer to the corner structure at the top of the trailer and less slope.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Hi and thanks for the confidence. I installed the rail that way for two reasons. First reason is that the install paperwork calls for it to go in that way. Second reason is that if the screws start backing out a little it will pull the top closer to the sidewall and if it was screws down and they loosened a little you would have, I believe, a number of screw holes exposed to the weather. I typically follow the manufacturers instructions. Especially when all else fails.
I do not think the tiny gain in slope would help gravity much.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #15
Krg2383

I've been curious on these. My question is, has anyone had any issues in high wind? We camp right on the ocean once or twice a year and gets windy. Seen many awnings ruined. Thanks in advance.
Krg2383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #16
koda57

QCMAN,I appreciate the additional input and your thoughts. My problem is I over think things and over engineer things. I always second guess myself and ask if I could have done it better. I also emailed the Keystone customer service rep out of curiosity. I asked if there were backers in the side walls. Their answer was no, and they cannot recommend any modifications. Same run around you got.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #17
koda57

I also was wondering that. Don't have mine installed yet. Watched several video's of what some people due. Ropes around the slide, beach balls, clamps with bungee on each end of the slide and even using a tie strap at the ends to prevent it from billowing. I guess I will just make sure I'm prepared with the right stuff if needed.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:54 AM   #18
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Don't overthink the wind! If it flaps, tie a string around it. Be careful that it is not too tight as that will start wear of the material. That being said, we lived in a unit with an 18" deep slide out and a 5' deep slide out. The 5' topper was a custom unit. The 18" one never flapped and if the five footer flapped we put a brick into a mesh laundry bag and put one on each side of the topper until the wind stopped. Mesh bags made it so we could use a hook we made that attached to a broom handle to place and retrieve the bricks. We have not had enough wind so far with the 22RBS to have any flapping issues. Rain does not seem ro be an issue with slide toppers as they just unwind a little more if full of water and end up dumping most of the water load. Just DO NOT have the DW near the slide when retracting after it has rained! Go to the Trailer Life website and look up "Solera Install" and you will see an excellent step by step install.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:21 AM   #19
Martian

Very informative!

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide