Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
Javi

EMS or EMS that is the question...

Got to thinking... engineering brain can't stop it...

When I bought the new Avalanche I asked the dealer to install a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C but when we went to pick it up he told me that he couldn't get one in time and so he installed a Surge Guard* 50A – Model 35550 that he had in stock...

I wasn't all that impressed having used Progressive for about ten years, but hey... it's in... asked where the remote display was mounted and was told... he didn't have one.. OKAY... not going all that well right now... on the bright side he didn't charge me for the install

Now... for those of you who have used the Surge Guard* 50A – Model 35550

How do you like it ???
Old 08-15-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I have used Surge Guard for years and really like them - zero issues, lifetime warranty like Progressive, better readout etc. But, that 35550 looks like they may have taken you for a spin. No readout, no remote monitor, and not the protection of the one I have. I do not have the one with the remote monitor (34951) but I do have the 34950. I am not familiar with the 35550 and I'm sure you've looked into all this but for comparison here are these:

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...a-model-34950/

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...e-model-35550/

It looks like the 35550 really needs the remote monitor to be informational. Surge protection is lower and I don't really know what else. Surge Guard is good but I would want their top of the line.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Alpine

Whoa... no call to tell you what they were installing?

Any how, I had the Surge Guard 34750 for 6 years while full-timing around the United states using 100's of different power pedestals, without a problem. It caught problems with surges, low voltages, & bad pedestals. Just for grins and giggles last year purchased the EMS PT50X... I have noticed that it is more sensitive to lower voltages and will shut down power to our Alpine more readily at voltages the Surge Guard would allow.

I still have the SG and would not hesitate using it if needed.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:48 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Progressive has a "direct competitor" for the SurgeGuard 35550. It's the EMS-LCHW50. Hardwired, "on unit display" and the only "remote capability" is the additional "remotely connected bypass switch"... https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-lchw50

I have the 30 amp "sister unit" to the EMS-LCHW30. When I bought mine, the price was $99 while the "display unit EMS-HW30C" was listed at $269. At that time, the 50 amp "sister model" was listed at $149, significantly cheaper than the "current model EMS-HW50C, which was, I believe, $130 more. Sort of: Older technology in "outdated" products that still work, but without all the modern conveniences."

The functions, protection and information are essentially the same, just "on the face of the unit, not a convenient display"...

I installed mine with a "window to view the unit display" in a lower cabinet face and have had no problems with it.

From what I can tell, the "unit display models" were the first to be produced and then, as competition grew, one company came out with the "remote display" and the other followed with their version....

So, I'd guess the dealer had an "older unit on the shelf that wasn't moving" and he saw an opportunity to move it off the shelf.... Will it work for you? Yes, just about like the remote display unit, but without the "readily viewable status panel"... Sort of like black tank sensors, but for power input, not "powerful output"....

To me, what happened to you is similar to going to the Ford dealership, ordering a 2021 F350 with power mirrors and the dealership delivered a 2020 Chevrolet 3500 without power mirrors... Competitive product but without the ability to see behind you or power-fold the mirrors to get into the garage.....

Here's how I solved my "need to see the front panel" issue with my Progressive EMS-LCHW30.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3395.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	29225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3396.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	29226   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3397.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	29227  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:54 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

If you had the EMS specified in your written deal then make them install what you paid for. If it was a "verbal request" then I would have thanked them for the freebie as that's not what I requested.

"It's not personal, it's just business "

That being said, I bought a Surge Guard brand EMS (don't recall model#) years ago. We were in CW in NJ and it was on their "clearance" shelf for about a 66% reduction in price. It didn't have the remote readout option but did everything that that one did. They also had a Hughes Autoformer on that shelf for the same deal, 66% off. So I gambled and bought both. I think someone's ordered them in 30 Amp when they needed 50.

I have no regrets for the money spent. I don't need the remote display or an app on the phone to play with. I bought the EMS to monitor the line, not for me to monitor the EMS. I have a volt/cycles per second meter so that would be redundant. If it faults and disconnects then it did it's job and I'll investigate.

The EMS has saved the camper on a couple of occasions. Twice with pedestal issues, I notified the cg for them to fix. The way I look at it I'm paying to relax, they aren't paying me to diagnose their issue so they can fix it. A few occasions where rapid loss/restored power would have played havoc on the a/c compressor the delay prevented damage.

Just last week it beep an alarm but didn't disconnect. It happened when the DW turned on the microwave. I deduced it most likely was low voltage so looked at the voltage meter I put in before obtaining the EMS. Voltage was 105 so I plugged in the Autoformer and it brought the line back up to about 115.

So longwindid but it works and the gee whiz stuff is a personal choice. I'm jot a micro manage type. When I hired people if I had to micro manage them then what purpose do they serve? I have the same philosophy with gadgets. I don't watch my tpms every second, if it alarms then I know I have an issue. I don't look at a map while navigating with a GPS, it's the GPS job to navigate. If I can't trust the device then I'll replace it. But that's me, to each their own drum beat.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #6
Javi

From what I can tell I can always add a remote 40300 to display my information..

I will say that this one has already done its job at least twice since we brought the trailer home.

It's Texas, the temps are in the 105 degree range, the campgrounds are full with folks trying to have a normal life with all the lockdowns and closures.

Even under normal conditions the grids around these smaller COE campgrounds aren't the best, add the overload of campers and I wouldn't be caught without an EMS system..

I've just never heard much about the SurgeGuard brand and thought I'd ask those who have used them.

I'm not going to worry about the thing if they're a good product... if they're junk.. I'll replace it and sell it to someone else..
Old 08-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
LewisB

I'm with Danny on this - we have a Surge Guard #34951 and use the remote #40301. This is the Bluetooth portable pedestal model. I actually like the remote; it can be permanently mounted or used as a table-top. Unlike some others, I have found this remote to be very useful for:

1) Obviously, checking the amp load on both halves of the 50A service panel. I can even tell which AC units are running by the current (example: laying in bed and wondering if I shut off the garage AC).

2) When I connect at the pedestal, I can carry the remote. The Surge Guard runs all its tests and either passes power or goes into alarm in about 10 seconds. The remote gives me the immediate status without getting down on my hands & knees to try and read the little lights in the bright sun.

3) If a power failure occurs, I can see what the trouble is just by looking at the display - don't even have to get out of my chair or go outside or...etc.

4) Most importantly (to me), I have found the remote very useful in determining how much power is being used by a device. Shut everything off, turn things on one at a time, and watch the remote! Now you know exactly how much AC the DW's hair dryer is using.

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of the Surge Guard - probably mostly because of this little remote. Here's a picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	29228

PS: SurgeGuard is a Southwire company, probably best known for their wire manufacturing. They have been around a long time.

Hope that helps,
Brad
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote