Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
DucBill

Factory electrial wiring on '14 Fuzion 375

Greetings I'm hoping to tap into the knowledge base of this great Forum. I have owned the subject 5ver for 3 yrs with only limited boon docking use mostly parks with hookups but setting up now for off grid use. I have installed a battery monitor and am not capturing all DC loads, there are 2 white (-) leads coming from ain harness that are terminated with tex screw to frame not (-) side of battery in the battery compatment. I'm not sure which loads these are from as have not been able to trace without pulling coroplast from under sude of rig. Also it apears the bare ground from 120 /12 v distribution ctr in garage is conncted to the transfer switch then shorepower connection in front half of trlr. Being that the bare ground wire is in contact with aluminum frame members that the chassis is grounded for both 120vac and 12vdc. Any and all assistsnce with this matter is greatly appreciated. FWIW have had may years experience with electrical in vehicles that roll down the road or fly thru the air some faster than a speeding bullet But working without wiring diagrams is the braile method and I'm already blind as a bat.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Not sure what your trying to do but there is absolutely no difference between the 12vdc in your camper or the 12 vdc in your truck or anything else. If you are wanting to connect a shunt for a battery minitor all you need to do is place it between the 12vdc cable going in to the camper and the battery positive post.

The white wires screwed into the frame are ground wires and no need to bother with them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
DucBill

Thanks Flyboy fyi my unit has a battery disconnect switch on the control in interior oh cabinet that has loads that are not being picked up on the BM shunt installed on - terminal of battery bank even though all - leads were trasnferred so oviously I'll need to do more legs work to find the other - returns. My solar charger is showing the loads but batter y monitor is not indicating all of it which I verified with an amp probe. Time to start opening things up. Thank for the help.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Is bthe shunt between the battery terminal and cable? No other wires connected to the positive terminal?
Old 07-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You have some phantom drains that do not go through the disconnect. Radio LEDs, propane sensor alarm, etc.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #6
DucBill

Affirmative flybuoy shunt is on negative battery post b- the for asking
Old 07-09-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
DucBill

CTBruce thx for your response you nailed it I've got 10.5 vdc .14a parisitic load going thru one of the 2 ground wires that are from main harness in battery compartment to frame so assume was factory install now I'll start pulling DC fuses to find it.FWIW I've disconnect the solar pnls and shore power to simplify trouble shooting
Old 07-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
DucBill

CTBruce and Flybuoy I think I found the culprit looks like the Level up pnl is drawing current while off. Power is from #14 gauge red wire coming off top auto cb on left partition in battery compartment I think the white lead with draw is (-) return that was attached to frame. Tried doing chat with LCI but not able to confirm proper wiring for control pnl. Too hot to pursue 100+today may pull pnl early tomorrow to verify wiring connections to it. Either of you have a wiring schematic for LCI level up handy.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucBill View Post
CTBruce and Flybuoy I think I found the culprit looks like the Level up pnl is drawing current while off. Power is from #14 gauge red wire coming off top auto cb on left partition in battery compartment I think the white lead with draw is (-) return that was attached to frame. Tried doing chat with LCI but not able to confirm proper wiring for control pnl. Too hot to pursue 100+today may pull pnl early tomorrow to verify wiring connections to it. Either of you have a wiring schematic for LCI level up handy.
Dont have one. If you call LCI they may send you one.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #10
DucBill

Thanks Chip
Old 07-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

None here, sorry.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #12
DucBill

CT Bruce fyi found one online and checked with LCI product support there's not supposed to be any current draw when the control pnl is off. Found circuit serving the control pnl branches off to other loads further into rig that I'm not ready and willing to chase at this time as my solar system (200w) small as it may be is keeping my battery bank charged. Another issue has presented itself while setting ah capacity on the battery monitor which had me take battery capacity to 12.1v for 100% usable when recharging with on board 5.5 Onan genset and solar 15a I was only getting about 35amps from the converter which is 90amp but unfortunately is in the garage with long wire run to batteries. Is this about normal current flow for recharging seems like could take 5-6 hrs at that rate even with charge wizard manuals to bulk charge rate? Sorry to drag this on but getting ready to boondock and want to make sure the rig will perform as expected without surprises. Thx for your assistance.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #13
LewisB

As long as your battery monitor shunt is the LAST (read only) thing in line on the negative side of your system, it will capture all current flow into/out of your battery regardless of frame or other ground connections. We use a Victron BMV-712 Smart monitoring multiple batteries and sources including solar, generator, and shore sources connected to a negative buss which then feeds the shunt.

We have a 2018 Raptor with a 50A electrical system. A steady state of 35A for charging from the factory OE converter system is about what we see as well. When first applied, the current may be higher but it tapers off quickly as the batteries develop surface charge.

In your post #12, you indicated that charging at 35A would take 5-6 hours. That would be nearly 200 A/Hours. If you are only discharging your batteries to the recommended maximum of 50%, that tells me you have 400 A/H of battery. Is that all correct?

Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #14
DucBill

Thx LewisB your right about shunt seeing load I had pulled fuses from DC distribution pnl with battery disconnect off but was still seeing a parasitic load on redwhite lead coming off of the top auto CB that disappeared after feeding the Level UP pnl behind the genset insert. Was drawing about 14milliamps so not a big worry as unit has 200 watt solar to keep 2 6v GC 225ah batteries charged which are giving me about 115 AH @ 12.1v DC SOC. My Fuzion '13 brochure for my unit states 100a converter but Progessive Dynamics only list a 90a I need to verify the output of both converters as 1 had fan running and heat sink was warm while the other side had no fan operation and heat sink was cool to touch all 4 reverse current fuses were good so might have a failed converter and applied voltage was 13.6 at battery not 14.4 as manual stated for boost operation. Batteries took 4hrs on gen set to get to 65% had to run another 1HR to get to75% yesterday hopefully the 104 deg sunlight will finish charge with solar but won't be able to check til Monday afternoon as unit is in storage and not at my house. Thx again for info.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #15
DucBill

Well it gets better after talking with Dennis at Progressive Dynamics the problem with my converter is the length of wire run from the battery to the AC/DC distribution pnl of approximately 35' and the choice of Keystone to use #6 awg which is causing a +30% voltage at the max output of the converter's 90 amps. Dennis also informed me with the two 45a converters palleled in the output 1 converter will take the load until it is maxed out then the 2nd will load up which explained why only 1 heat sink was heating and it's fan was on and not the other @ 38amps it 1as putting out. So in lieu of pulling 2ea #2 conductors I'm adding another set of #6 welding cables in parallel but it's going to be fun coming up the wall in the garage where Keystone mistakenly installed the Distribution pnl and converter should have been in cabinet with control pnl above kitchen counter probably would've been a 15' run from batteries there oh well shoulda coulda woulda eh Keystone. This is my 3rd 5ver TH and had same problem with'05 K-Z New Vision 37 only that was only a 15' run as pnl was in bed room in front of trlr where it belonged not the garage. As long as I can get 80amps for charging the batteries on gen set it will be worth the extra effort to correct a factory defect.

Tags
fuzion, wiring