Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #21
Keystoned

Thanks, I'll have to verify nothing is in the wall behind my stove before doing this mod. It seems like it should be standard...
Old 04-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #22
Rambo

I have the 2020 high country also, and I just bought an outside vent from amazon. I will be installing it in the next 2 weeks. I will get some pictures when I do. Right now it seems to just try to blow around the edges of the microwave I don't care for that.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #23
Keystoned

Looking forward to your mod, Rambo.
I just looked at mine closer and it would be nice if it blew up and thru the microwave vents.
But no...there are side outlets right next to the fan, which is even dumber than before.
I guess those could be aluminum taped over, but if not, then a new fan box would be needed.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #24
McRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper Bobby View Post
I'm a retired appliance service tech, so i think I can help here. 99% of all micro/hoods can be set to recirculate or exhaust from the rear through an external vent cap. The case cover needs to be removed in most cases so the blower motor can be rotated toward the rear of the unit to allow it to exhaust from the back of the unit. A "transition, or flapper" is screwed to the rear of the unit to align it to and to connect it to the outside vent cap.

YouTube offers many videos or how to properly vent these units. Removal and re-installation will be necessary which can be very difficult in an RV. I hope this helps.

Bob
I am not an appliance guy, but I did replace my convection microwave/vent Hood in my Big Sky and Bob is right.

The motor had to be rotated so that it would blow out my wall vent. Is very easy job, unplug microwave, pull four bolts to drop it down. Configure the new motor direction, just a couple of bolts and it tells you how in the install instructions. Then put the new microwave line up with vent. I took this opportunity to better insulate the wall around the square coupling and seal using thermal tape. Reinstall 4 mounting bolts and plug in new microwave and your done. 1 hour job for DIY no experience.

Also remember, the outside vent flapper has rotating levers to keep in closed when not in use (storage?), maybe keep the critters out?
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #25
dutchmensport

I also have a Montana High Country with the microwave that has the vent fan and light and it does not vent outside. Actually, my prior Keystone Outback was like this too. Never had a problem cooking anything on the stove. Those exhaust fans really don't do much anyway, and they are ALL horribly noisy.

If you have one, turn on your roof vent fan. That will do more to pull water vapor out of the camper than anything else. If you are cooking greasy stuff, grease will splatter with a vent or without one. Either way, you still have to wash everything down when done with a grease removing soap (We use Dawn Dishwashing liquid).

Opening a window will do more for venting the kitchen stove top than anything else you can do. If you are cooking and it's smoking so much you have to pull the smoke out with a fan, it might be easier to simply cook outside. Afterall, you're camping ... remember?
Old 04-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #26
Keystoned

Yeah, but some people cook by smoke alarm...lol

Tags
montana, vent