Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
MarkEHansen

Backup camera support on the 2019 Cougar Half-Ton 26RBSWE - backing up only?

I'm purchasing a Cougar Half-Ton 26RBSWE travel trailer and see that it includes support for a Furrion back-up camera. I would like to be able to use the camera as a rear view while driving as well as while backing up, but I guess this depends on whether the power routed to the mount location is connected to the running lights or the back-up lights.

Based on the factory literature from Keystone, I guess this trailer has back-up lights, so I'm wondering if anyone know which is used to power the camera?

Thanks,
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
Racebug

mine was pre-wired to backup light wire. Since there are no backup lights I simply moved that wire to the running lights lug in the pigtail box next to the 5th wheel pin box.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
MarkEHansen

Oh... I think my trailer has back-up lights (based on literature, not personal inspection) and I would rather not lose those.

If this is the case, how difficult it is to change that (to get running light power to the camera)? I'm guessing it would not be easy/feasible.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There may be some slight differences between the "east coast and the west coast" Cougars. The "east coast models" do not have backup lights and the "WE" models I've seen photos online show the same tail lights as the east coast models.

I'd suspect that your 26RBSWE won't have backup lights and the rear camera will draw power from the center clearance light on the rear of the trailer. That means it will be powered only when the tow vehicle headlights are on and has no connection to any "backup lights"... Typically the "pin 7 position" in the junction box on the trailer tongue is blank with no connection.

You "should find" that your rear camera will function when you turn on the headlights and you remove power by turning off the headlights or unplugging the 7 pin connector.

Again, the luxury models in the Keystone line have backup lights but the mid level and entry level lines do not have those "luxury features".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
MarkEHansen

So in this case, it may work to my benefit

Thanks again for all the information.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Keep that positive attitude and you'll love your new Cougar. Far too many people focus on the loose trim and condemn the entire trailer, blame the factory and the dealer for all their mistakes and learn to "hate" (rather than love) their new trailer. Most of the frustration comes from a new owner simply not knowing what the heck they're doing and looking for a scapegoat to blame rather than trying to find solutions. Look at it as a "new adventure" and don't be afraid to "shine a light down that dark alley" and you'll enjoy your trailer much more than those who "expect things that aren't" and are disappointed in what they "didn't get" rather than being happy with what they do have...... It's all in "how you look at it" rather than "finding blame".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #7
OregonDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Keep that positive attitude and you'll love your new Cougar. Far too many people focus on the loose trim and condemn the entire trailer, blame the factory and the dealer for all their mistakes and learn to "hate" (rather than love) their new trailer. Most of the frustration comes from a new owner simply not knowing what the heck they're doing and looking for a scapegoat to blame rather than trying to find solutions. Look at it as a "new adventure" and don't be afraid to "shine a light down that dark alley" and you'll enjoy your trailer much more than those who "expect things that aren't" and are disappointed in what they "didn't get" rather than being happy with what they do have...... It's all in "how you look at it" rather than "finding blame".....
Love this!

Mark, my 2019 RDBWE is wired to the tow vehicle headlights just as JRTJH mentions. There are two models; get the observation model vs. the backup if you want to use it while driving. Got mine on Amazon, which strangely is cheaper if you get the one with the mounting bracket vs the one that doesn't have it, although you won't need it. Ours works great.
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:02 AM   #8
MarkEHansen

Can I assume you're talking about the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL (includes the mounting bracket) and the Furrion FOS48TA-BL (without the mounting bracket)?
Is the FOS48TAPK-BL the same camera/display but also includes the mounting bracket which I can just not use?

Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #9
OregonDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Can I assume you're talking about the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL (includes the mounting bracket) and the Furrion FOS48TA-BL (without the mounting bracket)?
Is the FOS48TAPK-BL the same camera/display but also includes the mounting bracket which I can just not use?

Thanks for the tip!
Yup - you got it! Learned of this when I was doing my own research. This gent had a great video discussing this:

Camera works great. No issues with signal on the road or at high speeds, and it's nice to have a "rear view mirror..." Super helpful when backing up too, obviously.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
DanaJan

Have you ever needed to remove the camera from the trailer, for any reason, after installation?
DanaJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
OregonDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaJan View Post
Have you ever needed to remove the camera from the trailer, for any reason, after installation?
I have not. If I needed to though, it would take all of about 2 min, and all I would need is a screwdriver.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #12
MarkEHansen

Aren't you worried that someone might just walk off with it?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #13
OregonDuck

No, not really. I guess someone could if they were familiar with it. They'd have to climb up there to get to it first... There's a ton more that they could get away with though, so not sure that would be their first pick. Plus they'd need the monitor to make use of it in the first place.

I'd prob be more concerned that someone would get into my outside fridge and steal my beer After all, almost everyone has a CH751 key...
Old 10-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDuck View Post
No, not really. I guess someone could if they were familiar with it. They'd have to climb up there to get to it first... There's a ton more that they could get away with though, so not sure that would be their first pick. Plus they'd need the monitor to make use of it in the first place.

I'd prob be more concerned that someone would get into my outside fridge and steal my beer After all, almost everyone has a CH751 key...
And drinks beer.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:54 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I never thought of using beer as a theft deterrent. Genius!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #16
brodiegg

Purchased a Cougar half ton res27 and it is prewired for the furion. As has been recommended, get the observation version. easy to hook up and I made it part of the purchase deal. with mine I have to turn the headlights to on, not auto, and works very well while driving---you can see what is behind you and helps in clearance when passing, is very helpful in backing up. The camera which is in the rear has a ratchet for looking down and then medium and then far in the most elevated position which is where I keep mine. Have never had a problem, but that is since July. Well worth the price.
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #17
ISLANDER1089

I have a 2018 Cougar 22RBS TT and wanted a backup camera but found the Furrion camera to be way overpriced compared to the competition. I removed the included Furrion bracket on the rear of my trailer which left a 3/4" hole with a wire coming out of it that was connected to the rear running lights. I pulled about six inches of wire out and filled the hole with insulation foam from a spray can. From there I found a wireless backup camera on Amazon made by 4UCam with a huge 7" monitor and mounted it instead of the Furrion. The wiring is very basic,,,,,,black to black and white to white.
ISLANDER1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #18
efrulla

The camera in my 2017 Cougar X-Lite 25RES is wired into the running/marker lights. When you buy the Furion camera make sure you get the version for continuous use and not the version for Backup only. I refuse to tow without my camera on.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar