Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
sjturbo

Landing gear fuse blowing?

Ok, I appreciate all the feedback on my numerous questions over the last few days. We have spent about seven weeks (broken up over the summer) camping. Various issues have reared their ugly heads. Last one I believe is the issue of my landing gear fuse blowing! I have been extending and retracting the landing gear several times. Over this period I have blown four or five 30A fuses. Could it be because I have replaced my two 12V batteries with four 70lb 6V's? The last time the shop gave me a 40A fuse and it held? I know that is not the best idea but it got me through two more cycles of up and down. I guess my question would be can I put a motor with more guts in?
As usual thanks for the suggestions.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You could replace the fuse with an auto resetting circuit breaker. That way when you overload the circuit, the breaker "pops" and then when it cools off in a few seconds the circuit is good to go again.

Using 4 6V batteries probably isn't the reason you blowing fuses. I would check the amp draw on the landing gear motor, and the condition of the batteries.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Just curious why your motor is blowing fuses.
Is the motor heating up?
Is it only blowing fuses when extending (lifting) or is it blowing while retracting as well?
Have you tried manually cranking the landing gear to see if it is smooth or if there is some resistance? If there is resistance, it may be caused by a slight bend that is causing problems overloading the motor.
Is the gear box working smoothly?
Have you disconnected the motor from the gearbox and run it without a load to see if it still blows fuses?
When you wired your battery set up, what gauge wire did you use to complete series?
Obviously a 40 amp fuse isn't the answer, a little investigation into why the motor is drawing more than it should is in order.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

The other replies are great advice. Not mentioned by you, if your holding the power on in one longer time, try power on only shorter times. Say instead of 1 minute of movement, try 15-20 seconds and stop to keep the motor or wires from over heating. Wait 15-20 seconds and power up again. That does not fix the problem but, if camping you may not be blowing them. I had to do that with the last RV I had. The motor would always overheat if I just held the switch on to complete the up or down at once.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

One additional observation: You haven't indicated "when" the fuse blows. The fuse is a "safety device" designed to protect the motor and wiring from excessive amperage draw. It also serves to protect the motor from binding. If you're holding your switch until the landing gear reaches "full up" or "full down" position, the motor will "bog down" and blow the fuse. The fuse actually prevents the motor from driving the gears into a "binding position" or a "over-torqued position" either of which could damage the motor or strip the gears.

So, if you're not quite "quick enough" on the switch at the top or the bottom of travel, you could be "your own worst enemy" by causing the fuse to blow as it's designed to do. Most of us either mark the maximum travel with a piece of tape or paint so we don't go past that point.

I'm not sure if this may be a contributing factor or not, but something to at least be aware of.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
So, if you're not quite "quick enough" on the switch at the top or the bottom of travel, you could be "your own worst enemy" by causing the fuse to blow as it's designed to do. Most of us either mark the maximum travel with a piece of tape or paint so we don't go past that point.

I'm not sure if this may be a contributing factor or not, but something to at least be aware of.....
Yup, that is a fact. I marked my landing gear with a wrap of electrical tape so that I stop about 3/4" before max retraction. As for lowering them, I manually drop the feet with the adjustable pins and then only raise the nose enough to get it off the fifth wheel, or if I am siting on a sloped site, use cribbing as needed. Never had them out far enough to find max extension so I could mark them. It may happen yet.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
sjturbo

Sorry I have not responded but I have been working on other RV issues. The fuse blows when I am extending the LG to hook or unhook the unit. It is not at the top of its' travel but then I actually don't know where that is anyway. I have not checked the model number but think if there is a motor that would fit the application that has a higher load capacity I might check into that. Thanks!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Rbrown1020

2013 Laredo Landing gear fuse location

First, let me say Thank you to all!! Could not find the fuse for my front landing gear motor. But thanks to all who posted, I was able to trace it down. FYI, on my model the fuse is NOT near the battery. Traced the pink wire back from the gear motor and found the fuse link in the driver side well below the hand crank. Now all is good. Thanks again
Rbrown1020 is offline   Reply With Quote