Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Montana318RE

Hello from Big Pine Key, FL

Hello from the Big Pine Key, FL, new member, new to RVs, just purchased a 2013 Montana High Country 318RE and looking forward to getting off the rock frequently. We made our first trip to Fort Wilderness and met up with friends and family, great time had by all. Now back to reality and Irma recovery.
Montana318RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
notanlines

Welcome to the forum, Montana. We have stayed on Big Pine Key many, many times; always at the Old Wooden Bridge. Great people out there and a fun place to stay. Might I ask how the key deer fared during the storm? Watching the deer is one of the big draws to the island. And the pizza out at No Name on Watson is our favorite place because we can walk back to our rental.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
Montana318RE

Hi Notanlines, sorry to report but the Old Wooden Bridge marina and cottages are no longer with us. The marina building and surrounding structures were wiped clean with the exception of the blue bait tank. The cottages, some were moved completely off their foundations back 75 feet or so, others were still on foundations but all took severe flooding and wind damage. I know that the owners prior to Irma were trying to remodel the marina to include a tiki bar and a restaurant, I am sure this will help them with their plans (I hope). The No Name Pub opened back up maybe a month after the storm and is doing well. The Key Deer are very resilient, a few probably drowned but the herd is in fine shape and eating all the new growing vegetation. The island took Irma on the chin, lost almost 700 homes and all others received anywhere from heavy to minimal damage. Those of us who have lived here most of our lives are a hardy bunch, we will survive and live on. I feel bad for those who lost everything, believe me there are a lot of people in that category. The island will not be the same for quite some time if ever again. We are hoping that by the end of January all the debris will be picked up, a topic of concern for all here. Come on down, the businesses that are open really need visitors. Big Pine Fishing Lodge took a major hit along with Sunshine Key RV Resort, both are in the process of rebuilding and trying to get back open soon.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
notanlines

I'm glad for the deer herd info anyway. And I have no doubt that y'all will build back again. And we will pass through this winter at least one trip towards Key West.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Eastham

Would you have any information on the big pine key flea market Did it get wiped out or if it will reopen thanks for any information.u
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Montana318RE

Hey Eastham, the BPK flea market is up and running strong! The mini donut guy passed on but I heard his daughter has taken it over and making them.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
Eastham

Glad to hear it.pretty popular spot in the winter months.thanks for the info.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote