Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
springdale5

Dealer Oops !!!!!!!

Would like some input from some of the motor heads here. Just after Christmas I was in a Home Depot parking lot about to put windshield washer fluid in my truck, when I noticed the cap for my oil filler tube was off. It was wedged between a couple of wires near the battery, obvious to me it was placed there. I checked the oil, via the dipstick, it was milky yellow and didn't smell right, evident of moisture. I called the dealer immediately, they had performed an oil change on the truck in the middle of October. I went to the dealer and told them what I found and told them nobody else but them had been under the hood. After an hour or so of heated discussion they took the truck gave me a loaner and flushed and changed the oil. The service manager said the event is on record and any damage do to this problem will be covered. Problem is I don't want that problem to occur when I'm towing my trailer with four kids and wife, miles from home. What to do???? Any opinions??????????
Reese WD hitch W/ DC sway
Wife, 3 boys, 1 girl, 1 crazy yellow lab
springdale5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

First, sorry to hear about your truck - not a pleasant experience! Secondly, it appears as though your dealer has acknowleged some responsibility for what happened and has taken steps to try to rectify the problem and has stated that it is on record and that any damaged caused will be covered.
I would try to get this commitment in writing from him and also to document yourself all of the conversations you have had with him to date and any that you have in the future - especially his "promise" to cover any repairs, parts and all costs that may occur in the future.
You might make arrangements with him to take your truck in for a complete engine checkup in a month and another flush and oil change. In the meantime, check the oil often making note of any unusual color or smell. Watch and record your engine temperature from time to time.
You can only do so much prior to the time when you head out camping but until then, keep a very close eye on your engine - oil pressure, engine temperature, etc., and keep a written record of everything you have done. At the first sign of something that you are not comfortable with, I would contact the service manager and make an appointment to take your truck in and get it checked out.
If you keep on top of this situation prior to leaving on vacation, you have pretty much done all you can until then. Perhaps your first outing should be kept short and close to home ... just to see how the truck behaves when towing. Another option would be to take a day and "go for a tow" --- unpacked and by yourself.