Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
borg229

Sway Control

I just purchase a Keystone Springdale 29 ft travel trailer. I am towing it with a 2011 Ford Expedition with the heavy duty tow package and anti-sway option. My question is do I need to purchase weight distribution hitch like the Blue Ox? The trailer weighs 6200 lbs with a hitch weight of 675 lbs. Has anyone else towed this size trailer with an Expedition using the standard Ford hitch? I feel that the Ford sway control will handle the trailer, I am concerened about the weight distribution.
borg229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Bob Landry

The TV sway control will do very little except lock everything up when it senses sway. I had to tuen it off on my Tundra until I could get the Dual Cam set up. It's better to prevent it. I would recommend a Reese DC, but that's simply because that's what I use and I understand it inside out. There are other good hitches out there. Properly adjusted WD and a properly loaded trailer will fix a lot of issues. BTW, don't depend on a dealer to set it up correctly. it's not hard to do, so read the instructions until you are blue in the face and you understand every word. There may come a time when you will have to readjust everything and you need to understand how everything works.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Paddler

Hi Borg229,

You didn't say if you have the standard wheelbase Expedition or an EL. Assuming you have a non-EL model, your wheelbase is 119". General rule of thumb is first 110" of TV wheelbase can handle the first 20ft of trailer (total length hitch to bumper). For each additional foot of trailer you will need an additional 4 inches of TV wheelbase. So without additional sway control you are good to pull a 22ft trailer. Going to the Reese DC or Equal-i-zer (tm) you could probably pull a 25-26 footer.

In order for you to safely tow a 29 ft trailer, I highly recommend you investigate purchasing a Hensley Arrow hitch. They are a bit pricey but they allow short wheelbase tow vehicles the ability to safely tow a longer trailer.

If you have an EL, you might be able to get by with the Reese DC or Equal-i-zer(tm) hitch. Do not waste your money by trying to save money by purchasing a friction sway type hitch. You are going to need load leveling (weight distrubution) and sway control.
Best wishes,
Old 11-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
SLIMSHADIE

You also didnt say if the 6200 lbs was dry weight or loaded. You could easily add 1000 lbs for stuff. Did you weigh the hitch weight you suggested, it sounds low. Hitch weight should be 10-15% of total loaded weight of the TT. So with that said, hitch weight could be 620-930 lbs or more? You could get a 1000 lb wd hitch easy. Most receivers (hitch on the truck) are only rated for 500 lbs and/or 1000 lbs using a weight distribution hitches. So if you are not using one, then you better be getting one.

I didnt know any better and didnt use one the first year. My big Dodge can handle anything, wrong. Once i checked the above fact I kind of felt stupid. I didnt need the TT passing me as I was heading on vacation.

I use the Reese DC. I like the fact it tries to prevent sway and is a wd hitch all in one. The Equailzer is just as good. The Hensley is supposed to be the best, but too rich for my blood, $2k. I bought mine on Etrailer.com and installed it myself. Read the manual like 10 times and watched the videos several times on different wd hitcthes to get the feel. Only took a couple hours and my truck actually rides better than it did without it.

I dont know what the Ford receiver is rated for but it should be similar to my Dodge. Also dont know what the anti-sway option is but a 29' TT is pretty good size.

Just food for thought.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg229 View Post
I just purchase a Keystone Springdale 29 ft travel trailer. I am towing it with a 2011 Ford Expedition with the heavy duty tow package and anti-sway option. My question is do I need to purchase weight distribution hitch like the Blue Ox? The trailer weighs 6200 lbs with a hitch weight of 675 lbs. Has anyone else towed this size trailer with an Expedition using the standard Ford hitch? I feel that the Ford sway control will handle the trailer, I am concerened about the weight distribution.
neighbor has a similar setup. 2008 expy, 28' springdale. WD and sway control ABSOLUTELY. Probably don't need a blue ox, but a Reese DC or equalizer yes, Friction sway control NO!

With a properly set up Reese DC he is good to go. Reason I say properly set up, initially the hitch wasn't transferring enough weight, and he had a friction sway control. Was nerve racking towing, set up the hitch properly and it was much more stable, but the friction sway control wasn't enough. Once he switched to a DC, it made a huge difference. IMHO I wouldn't trust the factory sway control system to be foolproof. Yup, I'm sure it can help some, but looking at the forces when a bad sway starts, can't see how it could stop it. Get a system that won't let it start then the truck sway control "fine tune".

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
chuck&gail

Yes you need a WD hitch WITH sway control. The Ford sway control does NOT engage braking on individual trailer wheels, it is really just a sort of yaw sensor.

Remember you want 13 to 15% of the FULLY LOADED TT weight on the tongue. Ignore manufacturers tongue weight numbers, they have no meaning.

I love my Equal-i-zer with built in sway control, makes towing our 6800# 27.5' TT with our 2010 Expedition easy.

Also be sure you watch the rear GAWR. If WDH adjusted old way (equal squat on fenders), no problem. If using "new" weird method (front only back to no hitch position) you will likely exceed GAWR.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Paddler

I just did a quick look at the Keystone Website for Springdales that had 29 in the model number. All of them had a total length of greater than 32 feet.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
borg229

Thanks for the feedback

My 2011 Expedition with the HD towing option has a 9200 lb towing capacity. The Springdale TT model is 266RLSSR. The dry weight is 6257 lbs with a 675 hitch weight. Based on your experience what is the best WD hitch?
borg229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Paddler

119" wheelbase...Hensley Arrow, expensive but cheaper than buying a more capable tow vehicle. 131" wheelbase Equal-i-zer (tm) or Reese Dual Cam
Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
119" wheelbase...Hensley Arrow, expensive but cheaper than buying a more capable tow vehicle. 131" wheelbase Equal-i-zer (tm) or Reese Dual Cam
Agreed. WD is not a option, it is an essential.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
cumminsdad08

i have a springdale 295, and the living area is 29 ft, and the trailer is about 32 ft overall, (just an FYI). anyhow i tow with a full size diesel, and pulled once, on high way with out sway, and never again. i pulled it home a few time's from storage without anything on it, just stright hitch, and boy is it bouncy. MHO, spend the money, buy something. i use the cheapier reese set up, and it works for me. i just pay a little more attention to how it is loaded. and i can handle it being a little bouncy, still rides better then what i drive the other 5 days a week, 12hrs at a shot.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
jq1031

Quote:
You've got alot of good advice regarding this post. I'm currently returning after a eight day trip up to the Florida pan handle, all interstate I-75/I-10 driving, alot of trucks, wind and all the things that make for some white nuckle driving. I'm happy to report that with my Reese WD hitch, two sway control friction bars and the proper TV it was a very pleasent trip. If I were towing with your Expedition I would spend the money on a Hensley Arrow Hitch!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
The Sod Father

Chiming in a bit late, but I am in a similar position. Towing a 35' Bullet Premier with an Expedition EL. I had an Equalizer but the combination of long trailer and tow vehicle with a squishy suspension just didn't cut it. I had sway. So I invested the money and got the Hensley Arrow. Problem solved.

A few folks have commented on the cost of the Hensley and how it my be too much. I felt the same way at first, but then I started to do the math. I paid $26k for my trailer and another $40k for my tow vehicle. So I already have $66k invested. Spending another $2k in the greater scheme of things seems pretty reasonable. Especially if it is going to keep both assets out of a ditch. Or worse.

And then there are the other assets that are priceless. My family. A $2k price tag was a lot easier to swallow when I put all of this into perspective.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
jje1960

Towing

Quote:
My 2011 Expedition with the HD towing option has a 9200 lb towing capacity. The Springdale TT model is 266RLSSR. The dry weight is 6257 lbs with a 675 hitch weight. Based on your experience what is the best WD hitch?
Man, I gotta tell ya, I would not want to be towing almost 10k with an Expedition. Pulling out of the driveway and country roads are one thing, interstate speed, bridge bouncing and STOPPING is pretty hairy. Plenty of "I've (or I got a friend) done that for years" is in my HO scary. Maybe I'm just to conservative, but the manufacture published "limits" are not real world.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
chuck&gail

You need external sway control. Fords sway control is just yaw control. It will help TT sway a little, but not enough in emergency manuvers.

Obviously you also need a WD hitch. Note you want the tongue weight to be about 13% of the FULLY LOADED TT weight. Ignore the manufactutrers pipe dreams on tongue weight.

With an Expedition, be sure you watch your rear GAWR. It will take some proper WD hitch adjustment to keep it under the spec when towing.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote