Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
SummitPond

Front mount receiver with hitch extender

I put a Reese front mount receiver (PN65049) on my F250 so I could push the trailer around when backing becomes difficult (I'm not all that great on backing). It works like a charm. Sometimes, due to space limitations, I need to make a sharp turn while pushing, and a lot of maneuvering must occur so I don't jackknife. I thought a hitch extender would do the trick - just move the trailer about one foot further away from my front bumper and give much more flexibility to be able to turn.

The possible problem as I see it is this: the font mount receiver is rated at 500 pounds tongue weight and 9000 pounds line pull. I don't see a problem with the latter (the GVWR for the trailer is 6500 pounds) but the hitch extender will "increase" the tongue weight due to the longer lever arm.

Has anyone tried a setup like this? Will the front mount receiver be able to handle the additional load imposed by the extender for the few minutes it takes to maneuver the trailer into its location when I have to push from the front?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I have had 2 front hitch mounts. Used for launching boats in the dark on unlit ramps. It makes something difficult to easy. Check the extender, I had one that was 18 inchs long and it was printed that it dropped the rating by 1/3 as I recall. I never moved a TT with the front mount.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch