Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2016, 02:28 AM   #1
notanlines

Diesel mileage may be on the way for us

Excerpts from an article in the Memphis Commercial Appeal earlier this week:

"Utah millionaire Trevor Milton signed up a Tennessee manufacturer to assemble his long-range Nikola One electric trucks. On paper at least, they'd run 1,200 miles on hydrogen fuel cells capable of 15 miles per gallon, more than double the mpg of the typical 18-wheel diesel truck.

Thompson Machinery, the Nashville firm that services diesel freight trucks and heavy equipment in Memphis, already has agreed to maintain the Nikolas at its garages in Tennessee and Mississippi and has also invested in Milton’s Nikola Motor Co.

“We’re making a bet it’ll make its way to the heavy-duty highway fleet,’’ said Steve Lainhart, vice president of Thompson’s power division.

Hand over $7,000 every month, and Nikola Motors would provide the tractor truck and the hydrogen, maintain the power plant at no extra charge and in a nod to Uber regularly link the driver to shippers who need loads delivered.

While that lease may sound steep, $7,000 is close to the monthly payment on a $150,000 loan for a diesel truck.

Diesel costs look likely to rise again under the EPA’s pending Phase 2 greenhouse gas rules. These would reduce carbon emissions and raise fuel economy but tack $15,000 on the price of a diesel truck and its accompanying trailer made after 2020. This isn’t the first surge in pricing.

Over nearly two decades, stricter air quality regulations forced the diesel engine and oil industries to slash noxious sulfur emissions from big trucks. Unhealthy air over congested cities cleared, while the technology added up to $20,000 to the price of the typical 18 wheeler powered by a 500-horsepower diesel.

With that kind of uptick, the 1,000-horsepower Nikola One appears affordable, and throwing in maintenance and freight dispatching can appeal to many of the nation’s 350,000 registered owner-operators of heavy-duty trucks, analysts say.

“This could be a game changer,” said heavy-truck analyst Antti Lidstrom of market researcher IHS Markit in Denver.

Recently, Ryder Truck Rental, the Miami company that leases out big rigs, agreed to buy 5,000 Nikola trucks. Fitzgerald Glider Kits signed up to make them outside Nashville at Byrdstown, Tennessee. And the Chattanooga truck line U.S. Xpress Enterprises announced it’d test Nikolas on routine delivery runs."

It might not happen in the next few years, but hopefully smaller trucks will benefit from this technology in the future.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:59 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

UPS has a fleet of electric delivery trucks. It will be interesting to watch this technology grow, trade my truck? Don't know that it will be in my price range.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Interesting. I'm getting ready to buy my first diesel this April. My gasser got less than 7 mpg on a 5,000 mile trip this summer. I think more mpg's + bigger tank + bigger tow vehicle = mucho happier campers.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Interesting. I'm getting ready to buy my first diesel this April. My gasser got less than 7 mpg on a 5,000 mile trip this summer. I think more mpg's + bigger tank + bigger tow vehicle = mucho happier campers.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!
When you do get that new diesel, plan on having to change your signature photo. Your grin will be at least twice what it is in your current picture

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When you do get that new diesel, plan on having to change your signature photo. Your grin will be at least twice what it is in your current picture
Well noted and anticipated! I'm going to order in April for hopefully delivery before Memorial Day. We're planning a trip to Wisconsin and the UP in August. It will be a world of good difference! Thanks John for raising the bar.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
66joej

Chip,you will definitely enjoy the added torque of that diesel. We are sorry we traded off the F250 6.7. That sucker would tow a house!
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote