Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
Mcamnl

Understanding my tanks

We took delivery of our 339BHS Cougar a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it so far. During our walk through when we picked it up it was explained that there were Black and Gray tanks towards the front. Towards the middle under the kitchen there is a galley tank that has its gate valve just forward of the wheels. This drains forward to the same outlet the front tanks drain through. Behind the wheels there is another gate valve handle and drain connection. This is for the rear black tank.
Now, knowing that typically the black tank is drained then the gray so the hose can get rinsed out, I asked if the rear black tank is the only thing draining out of the back pipe. The answer was yes. No big deal I guess. Couple buckets of water and that should rinse the hose out.
I had been doing a little research the last couple of days on proper maintenance of the black tanks. I had a question so I thought I would give Keystone customer service a try.
My questions to them were:
Does the black tank rinse connection that is next to my water hookup rinse both tanks?
Does the rear half bath sink drain into the galley tank?
Her answer to the first question was no. The rear black tank should have it's own rinse connection. I don't remember seeing one so I am going to have to look harder.
The answer to the second question seemed odd to me. She explained that both the toilet and the sink drained into the black tank. Is this normal?

2007 F350 SuperDuty 6.0L Diesel DRW
2015 Cougar 339BHS
Mcamnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:11 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcamnl View Post
The answer to the second question seemed odd to me. She explained that both the toilet and the sink drained into the black tank. Is this normal?
We just talked about this last week in another thread. Another new unit owner found the same thing. So the answer is that this is the way that Keystone is doing the larger units. For a half bath, it actually makes sense to plumb it that way, but the dealers and the sales literature have not caught up with design and production. The specs show a gray capacity that is really black, and the dealers don't tell you about during the sale or the PDI.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 AM   #3
PerryB

Yes, the rear sink goes into the rear black tank. If its like my Mountaineer you will have a flush fitting for the forward black tank but not the rear. I'd like to know who figured that one out. I always try to drain the rear black tank first, and the shower tank last so I have a clean hose.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:23 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcamnl View Post
Her answer to the first question was no. The rear black tank should have it's own rinse connection. I don't remember seeing one so I am going to have to look harder.
I suspect you won't find an in-tank sprayer for the rear black tank. Others are reporting the same. Seems silly that it's not included but there it is. If it was my rig, I'd be installing one.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:23 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a recent thread about this topic: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23128

The OP of that thread had the same question as you, he called Keystone CS and was told one thing, other owners suggested CS was wrong, he called again and was told something else.

Moral of the story: Do some investigating, add water (one fixture at a time)at the different fixtures see just which tanks fill up and which are still empty, Do this by adding water and checking each tank by draining them one at a time until you determine which tank is filling with each fixture. Run water in the rear sink, see if the rear tank drains, flush the black tanks using the fitting, see if one, both or neither fills with water. You can do wonders to "understand your tanks" by actually doing some "detective work" on your own. You've already seen the results of relying on someone in a "front office in Indiana" and the "dealership's opinion" Now it's time to get "the Paul Harvey, rest of the story" on your own.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:04 AM   #6
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
So the answer is that this is the way that Keystone is doing the larger units.
Not all...my Carbon has four tanks, four valves and one outlet.

Black Tank 1: Main Bath Toilet
Grey Tank 1: Main Bath Shower and Sink
Black Tank 2: Rear 1/2 Bath Toilet
Grey Tank 2: Kitchen Sink and Rear Bath Sink.

What they do have in common is the labels are backwards!
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
ri_truck_guy

My Fuzion with the rear half-bath has the tank flush working on both tanks. Simply turn yours on and listen near both tanks. You'll know.
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited 103 CI
Everyone has issues...some people's are just more interesting."
ri_truck_guy is offline   Reply With Quote