Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2015, 05:20 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, it's a simple "diode isolator" that you need, however, trying to install one yourself may not be as easy (corrosion prevention/mechanical connection) as you think. In the US/Canada, there are two systems, integrated brake/turn lights and separate (yellow turn/red brake) brake/turn lights. Apparently, as in Europe, Australia uses the separate lighting system.

Here are a couple of "adapters" and a short explanation of the system. I'm not sure if these are even available in Australia since your trailer lighting is built to conform to your "double light" system that's on the tow vehicle. I believe the one you'd need is the one on the left that's listed for $18.38

Anyway, check this link and it should give you a bit of insight into what you've got: http://www.wiringproducts.com/tail-light-converters

Here's a YouTube video that explains a bit more:

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #22
carlosjackal

OK, here is what I have done. Posting this in order to close the discussion and for anyone else who is in the same boat, to have an obvious solution.

Modules exist which will convert 3 cables into 2 (LH, RH, Stop into RH/Stop, RH/Stop). There are many variations of this theme. Point to note though, if you live in a country where you need these (NZ/OZ) then you will find them to cost between $100-150. Not always available, but the obvious solution.

As I was caught short. My solution is as follows:

I will fit a NZ plug on the trailer side to suit our existing.

NZ Yellow - US Red (Left Turn) Like for like
NZ Black - US Yellow (Reverse) Like for like
NZ White - US White (Earth) Like for like
NZ Green - US Brown (Right Turn) Like for like
NZ Blue - US Blue (Brakes) Like for like
NZ Red - US Black (STOP) This was Battery charger. I am removing this cable at the trailer end (see comments below) and will run a new cable from this terminal to the rear of the trailer for Stop lamp
NZ Brown - US Green

At the rear of the van, I am fitting new tail/indicator light combinations and jumpering the indicator and tail lights.
The existing stop lamps wont light up, instead they will just be tail lights, as no stop power going to them.
The new cable I will run to the rear will power the stop lamp in the new lamp combinations.

I can sneak the cables out under the existing lights, and fit the new light units directly beneath the existing, so you shouldn't see the cables.

I will then run a dedicated cable for the Battery charge with its own connection via a fuse from the alternator.

Sure, a converter module would have been better, but I have to work with what I have got as I am picking the bugger up tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your advice.

Carl
carlosjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

There are "some" tail lights available that are designed to do what you're attempting. While your solution will work, if you want something that is included all in one assembly, these may work for you
http://texmood.com/shop/index.php?ro...y&path=665_667
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #24
carlosjackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are "some" tail lights available that are designed to do what you're attempting. While your solution will work, if you want something that is included all in one assembly, these may work for you
http://texmood.com/shop/index.php?ro...y&path=665_667
Cheers John. We cant get them in country here (we only have half a dozen shops, and the donkey delivery has been for this month) and I have to pick up the trailer from port in 17 hours :-)

Regards

Carl
Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck !!!! Here's hoping that the lights are the only problem you encounter !!!! Enjoy your new RV and we're anxiously awaiting pictures when you get it home !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #26
carlosjackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Good Luck !!!! Here's hoping that the lights are the only problem you encounter !!!! Enjoy your new RV and we're anxiously awaiting pictures when you get it home !!!
it arrived.
a bit of corrosion from being at sea for 80 days, and no response from one of the electric brakes, but apart from that we are chuffed to bits with it. :-)

Old 03-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #27
notanlines

"Chuffed" I like that word! Anyway, tell us how you came out with the width problem you had a few days ago.....seems that the awning made it too wide. Thanks, and congrat's!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #28
carlosjackal

Thanks.

In short, I didn't get away with it. They picked it up at the registration inspection as being 256cm (250cm max allowed), so I have to remove it to get it re-inspected. Then probably put it back on again, its a bit of a charade.

I see you are in Memphis. I went there for thanksgiving weekend in 1997. Me and a mate of mine drove from Ft Bragg in NC after work on a Friday, just for the weekend. A great place to visit from the snippits I remember :-)

Regards

Carl
Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Congrats!! You have succeeded in a major undertaking.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote