Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
ljp

Electronic Brake Control

Can improper setting of trailer brake control create any problems with the brakes of the towing vehicle?
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I am not an expert but I don't know of any. The brake controller senses the pressure you apply in the vehicle (as you have set it to) and then applies that to the electric brakes in the trailer. I don't know how it would affect the brakes in the TV. Then again, I'm not an expert.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
Terrydactile

Yes it can. But only if the brake controller is not applying the trailer brakes enough. In this scenario, the tow vehicles brakes would be trying to stop more of the trailer than it should be thus wearing tow vehicle brakes more quickly.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
GaryWT

As Terry said, the TV brakes could wear out quicker if the brakes are not applied enough for the trailer. The trailer would push the TV requiring more braking.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
ljp

Tow Vehicle (sporadic) Brake Issue

Towing Passport 195RB with an '01 Tahoe (121k miles). After a cross country trip in '13 experienced slight grinding sound emitting from the front of tow vehicle when coming to a stop with light push back on the brake pedal. Brakes were inspected, cleaned & rear rotors changed. After recent 1300 mile trip, again experienced the slight grinding sound & light recoil on the brake pedal. Front rotors & pads changed, fluid exchanged and reported OK by a major tire/brake business.

On two separate occasions within a week after the most recent repair we again heard slight grinding sound when braking and almost stopped with light recoil on the brake pedal.

On 11-17 I posted a thread relative to the electronic brake control thinking we may not be setting the controller and this could have created our problems. Any ideas on what could be contributing to the noise & recoil? Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

ljp, I merged your two threads together so answers don't get repeated or confusing.
This is only my amateur mechanic guess but .... I would look into a problem with ABS system or traction control if AWD. Since the problem has appeared on both axles I think it may be one of these systems. JMHO, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
ljp

Hank - Thanks for the help & your suggestions. I should have added this braking issue I identified did not occur while our TT was being towed.