Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #21
Hoojs12840

I use CC as much as possible, towing or not. I think it should be mandatory. No one can drive the exact speed and it always leads to people lingering beside you, or playing leap frog.

On my 2500 GMC diesel, all I do is turn on tow mode, engine brake and put in gear and set cruise. It doesn't hunt gears or over rev. My Nissan Titan use to downshift more than I would, but it's electronically controlled and I am sure the Nissan engineers knew what they were doing. Never had a transmission temp issue.
CC will always give you better fuel mileage. Maintaining a consistent speed will give you better mpg then trying to manually do it.

As a professional driver it is taught from day one to use cruise, except in high traffic or inclement weather. In a tractor trailer, (if it's a manual) and your heading up a grade once you down shift and release the clutch the cruise comes back on automatically to keep throttle input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #22
Whitewolf

Use CC as much as possible. Towing or not.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #23
Bombfixer

I use the cruise control in my Ram all the time while towing. But I use it more to keep my speed below 65mph than anything else. Until I get my toyhauler tires upgraded to "G" series tires, I keep under 65. As much as my TH weighs, that Cummins will tow it at 70-75 if I would let it.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #24
Charli

CC, greatest invention since sliced bread. Use it all the time to control my lead foot and improve mpg. Take it off going up and down grades.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #25
Pmedic4

Cruising along on CC

Just completed a 1200 mile trip and I would say I used the CC about 40% of the time, and mostly because we were driving along with someone else who was driving a Motorhome, so it was easy to pace along with them without CC. On the return trip, I used it more, as I was leading and easier to set an forget.

On the way there, we drove about 62-66 mph, and without CC got about 10.5 mpg. On the return leg of our journey, we went about 58-62mph, and mostly CC, again cause I was leading. The gas mileage on this portion was probably only 9.0mpg, but we also drove into windy conditions, with a wind at about 45 degrees to direction of travel.
Overall I like the CC, but don't like a lot of the shifting, and then accelerating to regain speed with the wind fight us. I put my RAM into TOW/Haul mode, which changes the shift points, but I think it also negatively affects mpg. Also, most of the driving done on this trip was fairly level in Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan.
But it was a good trip!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #26
LittleJoe

CC will always give you better fuel mileage. Maintaining a consistent speed will give you better mpg then trying to manually do it.

As a professional driver it is taught from day one to use cruise, except in high traffic or inclement weather. In a tractor trailer, (if it's a manual) and your heading up a grade once you down shift and release the clutch the cruise comes back on automatically to keep throttle input.

I won't get in to this......lets just say I do not fully agree and do hold a AZ commercial license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

THis is absolutely incorrect information. I and anyone who can anticipate hills can easily get BETTER fuel mileage than with CC. Getting a small run at a hill and slightly backing off as aproaching the top beats the CC every time . I can improve 1-2mpg especially on long rolling hills.

Using CC on a wet road is not recommended unless you happen to have traction control if you are putting any kind of power to the ground.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #27
Hoojs12840

I've seen and been activity involved in fuel mileage test's. CC has never been beaten by a person. Could it be done? I'm sure, especially over a small segment of driving. No way over hundreds of miles would it gain better mpg. If trucking companies could save .10mpg for any length of time they would teach that.

Gaining speed going down hill is a not particularly a safe practice. Gaining speed on flatland before a hill requires more fuel. I've had many a rv, tractor trailer fly by me before a hill. 95% of the time I pass them going up the hill.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #28
Charli

I could see how using CC in hilly conditions might not be the most fuel efficient and also not the safest. I hate the feeling of a dramatic downshift and resulting surge when the CC kicks in going up a hill. Also prefer to have more control going down the hill by applying brakes or downshifting to keep speed under control. I'll take the CC off when approaching hills and then reapply once back to flat roads.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #29
CUFFS054

OK, I'm changing my last post. "When I become King of the World CC use will be manditory, coupled with some friggin common sense".
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #30
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
We use it all the time as well. However, when you see a bridge coming, get ready to hit the off or pause button, serious dolphin bounce seems to occur with CC on, while coasting, no problem. We have a bunch of bridges on RT95 heading / returning from Myrtle.
You might be looking at needing new shocks!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #31
Fixjet

Use my cruise probably 90% of the time. If you have an Allison it will hold your speed down hill also (cruise brake) Works great for me, no hunting for gears.
Fixjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #32
Charli

I thinks the Ford is supposed to work the same as the GMC with the Allison but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #33
jje1960

Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
You might be looking at needing new shocks!
Nope, shocks are fine, bad roads are the evil cause.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote