Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
5arnolds

I'm Confused....2012 Keystone Bullet 286QBS

We are currently in the market for a new TT. Requirements are triple bunks or quad bunks, a kitchen slide, outside kitchen and lightweight (5,500# or less).

We are impressed with a Jayco 29L as it has all of the aforementioned requirements and is well made, however, we are taking notice to the Bullet 286QBS also as it 'appears' to meet all requirements and might be a little lighter in weight. What I am stumped on is, is there an outside kitchen? On Keystone's website, one is indicated on the layout picture but there seems to be no information on what it consists of. I'm not sure how you can fit a kitchen (the Keystone website indicates a refrigerator in it) AND a double bunk on that side of the TT.

If someone can respond and answer the following questions, that would be great...

- Is the outside kitchen standard or an option?
- With the outside kitchen, does the unit have triple or quad bunks?
- What does the outside kitchen consist of? Is there a plumbed sink, stove and refrigerator?
- The unit I'm looking at comes with an RV-Q Grill. IS THAT THE KITCHEN??

Clarifying these things would be a great help.

Dave
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
CampDestinations.com

Hi Dave - I am surprised that the Keystone website doesn't show any pics of the outside kitchen OR the bunks on that side of the trailer when you visit the "Bullet" brand photo gallery.

In fact, doing some quick searches turn up a lot of Bullet 286QBS trailers on the market, but none are pictured with an outside kitchen as far as I can tell.

So I'm not sure if it's option or a mis-configured floorplan listed on the website. I suppose it might be new for 2012? Is there a dealership nearby where you can take a look?

From looking at the floorplan, it's somewhat similar to what we have in our Passport 3220BH. I was able to find some pics from that model on the keystone website. If it's possible to get the kitchen in the Bullet 286QBS trailer with double-bunks on the kitchen side, then it would probably look something like these.

The first pic shows the 3220BH outside kitchen. It's small, but allows for double bunks on that side.

http://www.keystone-passport.com/med...itchen_600.jpg

The second pic, on the left side of the photo shows the 3220BH bunk configuration over top of the outside kitchen area.

http://www.keystone-passport.com/med..._Bunks_600.jpg

So it is possible to get a small outside kitchen AND double bunks on the same side.

Hope this helps...

Wes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
CarKath

I found this picture of outdoor kitchen. (attached)

here is link to where I found........dealer site......... http://www.lakeshore-rv.com/cf/shopm...productid=2689
Attached Images

Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
f6bits

When I look at them at RVT.com, I don’t see any indication of an outside kitchen, except one that has it on the floor plan. Honestly, in the pictures on RVT, none of them look to have an outside compartment door as large as the one CarKath references. It’s possible that west coast and east coast versions differ.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
CampDestinations.com

Good find CarKath. That does look identical to the kitchen on the Passport. Contains a small electric-only fridge, two-burner gas stove with quick-connector just below the skirt on the trailer, and a plumbed faucet, but no drain. Instead of a sink there is a pan that can be removed and dumped. Faucet has hot and cold water and ours came with a quick-connect coil extension hose. I guess this could be used to wash things off outside the trailer?

sdayman, I saw the same as you with the smaller outside doors on all the pics I found. I'm wondering if this isn't a change for 2012. The majority of photos out there are for 2011 models.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the pix that Carkath found, it does appear that there is a small version of what has become known as the "outside kitchen" However, when looking through the rest of the pix of that trailer on the website, something hit me about the bathroom. On ours, the toilet is set much the same as that trailer, but our countertop is square and I built a door for the storage compartment that sits right next to the toilet. On this one with the recessed, curved countertop, that would be much more difficult. Why worry about it? Well, if you have little boys (and many big boys) using the toilet, whatever is in that area will most likely get "splashed" in the process.... Not sure about you, but I really don't enjoy using "moist" towels after I shower.....

Just one more "designer innovation" that doesn't meet "practical application"

When will they use these things and learn how to design them??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
5arnolds

I personally believe that the quality of Jayco and Keystone is very comparable....according to consumer's digest, they actually give Keystone an edge over Jayco.

The Jayco 29L has a full fledged outside kitchen with a sink w/drain (but you lose a bunk) as compared to the Keystone Bullet 28QBS (a bin sink that has no drain), but I question whether I need as much kitchen as the Jayco has on it. If I can compromise on the size of the outside kitchen but still has cooking/cooling capabilities and gain the quad bunk in the process, it might be worth have the smaller outside kitchen. On the other hand, we are a family of 5, so I think having 3 bunks (as the Jayco has) is a big deal either.

I guess it comes down to personal preference...a decision we'll have to make. I really don't think we can go wrong either way.
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
CampDestinations.com

When we bought it was a similar decision, but we were choosing between the Keystone and a KZ-Spree 321BH. The KZ-Spree had a great outside kitchen, with real sink and even a microwave, but we'd have to give up that extra bunk. Camping with 5-6 people most of the time, we decided we needed the bunk more than the outside kitchen. We've only camped about a half-dozen times, but so far, we just haven't really needed the outside kitchen much. Although the outside fridge is handy. Depending on the trip, either our alcohols go there, or the kids drinks go there and keep some of the traffic out of the camper. Otherwise it gets more use as a show-piece when camping. Your use might be different.

Good luck making your decision.

Wes
Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
KanTC

Welcome 5arnolds,

The letters 'QB' in the model number typically indicate 'quad' bunks.
The 5th photo on the 286QBS floorplan page shows the 4 bunks.

http://www.keystonerv-bullet.com/ind...t&model=286QBS

The outdoor kitchen wasn't available on the 2011 286QBS, but appears to be a standard
feature now, on the (new release) 2012 models. The link CarKath provided has good
photos of the bunks, and the outdoor kitchen... and I agree, the kitchen looks to be
the same as the 'first' photo Wes (CampDestinations) provided & then described for you.

The RV-Q Grill is an option on the Bullet, but N/A on the 286QBS now (as per this Dec 2011 flyer)

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/doc...2011_web_o.pdf

The 2012 model year brochure isn't yet available on the Keystone website.

Good luck with your decision,

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
cumminsdad08

outside kitchen??? you mean the fire pit??
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #11
gwbillett

We just bought a 308BHS Bullet and it has a outside kitchen. We wanted the extra bunk where most only have one bunk on the kitchen side. Basically the smallest dorm fridge, a sink with no drain and a 2 burner stove. The sink and stove slide out. There is a shelf above that part with a 2 plug outlet. The small fridge just plugs in to additional plug and only works off of shore power I believe. We have not taken any trips in our new camper yet but I think it will serve the purpose just fine.
gwbillett is offline   Reply With Quote