Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
bill&fawne

Question Sat. Cable,,, Help !!

I have a 2013 Summerland 3030 BHGS. In the TV compartment there is the standard over the air antenna hookup,, then above that there are two hookups, one for cable and one for sat. I know the top one is for cable, since I have used it many many times.
My question is this,,,,, I was told that this TT is prewired for sat. TV. Does anyone know where the cable for sat. Goes? The cable for the campground cbleTV goes one way the cable foe sat. Goes the other way. I have looked high and low to find where it ends up and have not found it( I don't want to tare apart anything).
Ok,,, will this work? I am planning on getting a Tailgater for Dish Net. I am sick of over the air TV as I need to adjust the antenna all the time because of the darn digital signal just won't stay clear. Can I just run it thru the cable TV jack on the outside of the TT.
Any help I can get would sure help.

Hope

2013 Springdale Summerland 3030 BHGS
bill&fawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
MarkS

On the outside of your trailer, near where you connect cable, is there a second connector? On my trailer, that is where I connect my Tailgater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
bill&fawne

There is just the one for cable TV. Sure wish it was that easy ,, lol. I do have a email sent to Keystone for help with it, but thought it would be faster here, seems to me RVers are a lot faster and more reliable.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
MarkS

On most trailers, there is a cable loop. A plate with two cable connectors and a loop of coax connecting the two. One side of that goes to the outside connector. You can connect the Tailgater there.

It might be easier to just run the coax to the Tailgater through a window.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 10-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
greynomad

Tailgater

Its good thing I checked the forum before I posted a thread about the cable.
The only outside hookup I have is for the cable and nothing else. It looks if I will have to run the cable through a window for the Tailgater to work, damn.
My originally question was if anyone knew of a hole or access point to run the cable inside the RV but after reading the posted comments,,, ahhhhhhhhhhh
Since I am on has anyone had reception problems with the Tailgater in remote locations?
greynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
game warden

I have no reception with my tailgater, if there are any trees around even if I think they would not interfear with reception. I have a sat connection on my 303tg never used it but I do run the cable thru the window for now but plan on making my own connection up for it later. Would love to hear from someone without stealing your thread about the dish perm mounted on the roof.
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
MarkS

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynomad View Post
Since I am on has anyone had reception problems with the Tailgater in remote locations?
I use mine in the Rockies, but if you think about it, everywhere is remote from the satellites. The only time I have reception problems is when there are obstructions. If you have a smart phone, there are apps that help you check for where the satellites are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by game warden
Would love to hear from someone without stealing your thread about the dish perm mounted on the roof.
If you are having reception problems, a portable dish is much more flexible than a perm mounted roof one. I have found moving the dish a few feet can make a big difference. You can't do that with a perm mount.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
warsw

Quote:
Its good thing I checked the forum before I posted a thread about the cable.
The only outside hookup I have is for the cable and nothing else. It looks if I will have to run the cable through a window for the Tailgater to work, damn.
My originally question was if anyone knew of a hole or access point to run the cable inside the RV but after reading the posted comments,,, ahhhhhhhhhhh
I just added another outside cable hook-up through the wall just behind the TV. I got the through the wall bulk-head cable kit at my local RV dealer for about $12.00. I connect the park cable to the cable connection that was already on the trailer and connected the tailgater to the new one I installed. Works great.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
greynomad

Satellite hookup

Since I have a Bullet 284 RLS, there is no exterior hookup for satellite. What I did was run the cable through the power cord outlet then fed the cable in a round about way to the Dish receiver. Works fine
Old 10-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
KJcachers

Quote:
Since I have a Bullet 284 RLS, there is no exterior hookup for satellite. What I did was run the cable through the power cord outlet then fed the cable in a round about way to the Dish receiver. Works fine
I have 2013 bullet 246rbs with a cable hookup on the back by the tail light. It's my understanding I can use this with a sat dish if I turn off the antenna amplifier inside the coach where the cable comes out to hook to the tv. You don't have an outside cable connection at all?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
bill&fawne

I'm all set now,,,, theTailgater got here,, all I had to do was hook up the cable right to my cable TV jack on the outside of the TT. Works fine ,, all my troubled thoughts were for nothing. From unpacking the box to watching DISH Net took about 40 minutes. About 25 minutes of that was on the phone setting up my account and being activated. Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #12
greynomad

I tried that using the outside connector for the satellite, does not work as it is only for cable network. As I said before running the cable through the power cord access point has worked fine.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Exsailor

more cable questions

I would like to ride this horse a little more, have a look at the attached picture from inside my TV cabinet. The bottom connection works for the antenna but when connected to cable I cannot get any one of the 3 to work. I have just 1 cable connection in the panel outside. Am I supposed to use this grey cable to "loop" between these connections?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable photo.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	4536  

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
Roller4Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsailor View Post
I would like to ride this horse a little more, have a look at the attached picture from inside my TV cabinet. The bottom connection works for the antenna but when connected to cable I cannot get any one of the 3 to work. I have just 1 cable connection in the panel outside. Am I supposed to use this grey cable to "loop" between these connections?
Loop the grey lead to the connector on the same plate.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
mazboy123

Sat TV

It should be basic. just connect the sat to the cable connection, turn the amp. switch off and the rest would be how your sat. company tells you to set up your tv.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #16
vikedrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill&fawne View Post
I'm all set now,,,, theTailgater got here,, all I had to do was hook up the cable right to my cable TV jack on the outside of the TT. Works fine ,, all my troubled thoughts were for nothing. From unpacking the box to watching DISH Net took about 40 minutes. About 25 minutes of that was on the phone setting up my account and being activated. Thanks for everyone's input.
I am looking at buying satellite for my raptor, how is the tailgater powered?
vikedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #17
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikedrvr View Post
I am looking at buying satellite for my raptor, how is the tailgater powered?
It's powered through the cable.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
Jim Dow

Tailgater Hookup - Montana High Country

Look for the TB4RV.com article entitled Rewiring Your Coacch for Satellite Use.

I made this mod and use the single cable hookup for my 5er to get Tailgater service to both the main TV in the livingroom and the bedroom.

You do have to rewire the coax to accommodate the power amp for the antenna. I recommend getting a coax tracer unit from Lowes/Home Depot to know how the coax is routed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coax Tracer.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	4841  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote