Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Steve S

Heaters and fires.

I understand that propane heaters can start fires, that's a given.
Is it possible for an oil filled heater to catch something on fire?
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The actual "oil filled heater" most likely would not cause a fire, but as with any electrical equipment, there is a "heater control circuit" and an "electrical supply cord" that our outside the oil filled reservoir.

Any electric item plugged into an outlet has the potential to short out, cause a fire and do significant damage. There is supposed to be an "operational circuit breaker" to protect the outlet from overload and "in theory" would shut off power in the event of any malfunction of the heater circuitry. However, this protection circuit does not always function as designed.

To answer your question: There is very little chance that an oil filled heater would cause a fire, but it is possible. I'd only use it where there are no combustible materials nearby, certainly nothing combustible contacting it and I'd be cautious of leaving it unattended while in operation. I wouldn't focus on a fire at any moment, but I wouldn't be completely without concern of the possibility.

Here is a link to one such fire:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ht=heater+fire

If you notice, this was not an "oil filled" heater, but the fire originated in the cord, which is a similar component to any oil filled heater. Caution is necessary, fear of the heater is not needed......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I suppose it's possible for any electrical item to cause a fire. Even a seemingly safe (not hot to the touch) device can malfunction.

Buy reasonable quality products.... Trust their safety features.... And have a smoke detector with a fresh battery.

What more can you do?

And this thought process of mine is not specific to an RV... At home we have space heaters.... Electric blankets... Heated mattress pads.... Etc....

It's not like a space heater is inherently dangerous simply because it's being used in an RV. It's just a small household appliance.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Steve S

Thanks for the replies
I bought my heater from one of my electrical suppliers that I've been dealing with for years and he said it was the best out there.
I plug it into the gfi and it sits between the bathroom and closet.
Dee is always harping at me because I kick the covers off while I sleep and this morning I noticed they were very close to the heater.
It has all these safety features on it and will shut down completely if it gets too hot.
I tested that one night by cranking it and putting it over a vent and sure enough it shut off and needed to be reset.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
hankaye

Steve S, Howdy;

The one that I bought for the cooler days, had a statement in the owner's
booklet that stated to keep it a minimum of 18" from easily combustible
items. It has the UL sticker and may have been made in China but carries
the Honeywell label. Yes it's oil filled as well.
Better Safe than Sorry.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Steve S

Very true, being safe then sorry is a smart thing
I have 2 of them in my shop to keep the chill off in the winter and they're covered in sawdust dust for the most time and I really should blow them off soon!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #7
mikell

I have an oil filled heater in the basement and it keeps the bedroom warm and the water works panel was removed just to help. -9 last night with no issues
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote