Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Tdesrosiers

Battery question

Hi, I was wondering what people do with their batteries in the winter. The temperatures will get below freezing, most of the winter. Should I remove it from the camper and bring it into the garage? Thanks for the advice.
Tdesrosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Pull Toy

I'm sure you will get several good ideas, but speaking for myself, I leave it in the camper with a "battery tender" connected. Some members do remove their battery and move it indoors. If you choose this option, be sure to put a piece of scrap plywood under neath if you are storing on cement.

The battery tender floats the voltage and tops off your charge as needed. It is a controlled charging environment, and actually is far superior to the older style trickle charger. I also have one dedicated to my lawn tractor for winter storage. Walmart makes a cheaper version of the original "Battery Tender" brand, but I stick with the original. Last I knew they were still American Made.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdesrosiers View Post
Hi, I was wondering what people do with their batteries in the winter. The temperatures will get below freezing, most of the winter. Should I remove it from the camper and bring it into the garage? Thanks for the advice.
If unable to leave it plugged in to shore power removing them would be the best option in my opinion.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Canonman

I remove ours to the garage and use a "Battery Tender" to keep them charged. Charged batteries won't freeze. $35 or $40 for the Battery Tender is money well spent to increase the lifespan of your batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7995.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	470.2 KB
ID:	30459  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
Rick

You don’t need to place your battery on wood for fear of discharge-
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....e-floor-drain/
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
LHaven

I don't do it to avoid battery damage -- I do it to avoid floor damage. Made the mistake of leaving a tended battery on a tile floor; when I finally picked the battery up, the tile underneath was all bleached, fried, and ruined.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Towards the end of the year I'll pull the battery and put it in my garage. Trailer is not stored at my house so keeping an eye on the electrolyte level is easier at home. I will pull it late in the year when I know I won't be "messing with" the camper until the weather warms.

I store the battery on the garage floor close to the overhead door. I have rubber mat about 18" Sq. that it sets on. Not for freezing concerns but out of corrosion concerns. Batteries create gases that are corrosive when being charged so that protects the floor.

I maintain the charge by connecting a 3 Amp battery tender about every 3 to 4 weeks and check the electrolyte at that time. The tender has a program that helps keep the "plates clean" during the different charging cycles. I have an SAE plug attached to the battery's terminals with ring terminated wires. That makes better contact than alligator clips and doesn't spark when connecting.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery