Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #21
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Look at the door... see if it says Lippert (my 2020 Avalanche does) if it does call them..
It's definitely a Lippert. The SM called back within a few hours asking me to send him a photo of the door sticker, so I immediately got the impression some overt or covert recall may be involved here. But point taken -- if he says Keystone won't help me, I'll move on to call Lippert directly.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #22
Rinsrig

As an RV tech, I can tell you that we see these happen to the doors more often then we like, the problem is that the doors are too stiff for the metal they are using on the door surround. There is nothing inside the door for the frame to connect to (mostly hollow with foam insulation inside of it). There is no way to repair the door, and it will only get worse, to the point you may not be able to close the door. It will need to be replaced. Good Luck
Rinsrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #23
ChrisB

Well, looky there i have been here and done that already. This is exactly what happened to both doors for me. We identified the friction hinges as the culprit and spent two months talking to keystone, our dealer and lippert. All a huge waste of my time. We finally "de advanced" our hinges. And put the doors back together. Have not had a problem with them since. I documented the ordeal with pictures for other folks that had the same problem. Good luck its not to bad. Hope it helps
Old 10-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #24
LHaven

So apparently there is a Lippert recall out there, but not of my door lot. Lippert is willing to comp the door and decal, while the dealer charges me $350 for labor. Sigh. I'm being nibbled to death by dingoes on this rig.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #25
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Well, looky there i have been here and done that already. This is exactly what happened to both doors for me. We identified the friction hinges as the culprit and spent two months talking to keystone, our dealer and lippert. All a huge waste of my time. We finally "de advanced" our hinges.
Dealer replaced my door Thursday. When I went to pick it up, I noticed the hinge friction had been seriously reduced. I'll have to look at how to do that on my other door, which hasn't shown problems yet, probably because we so rarely use it compared to the other one.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #26
wiredgeorge

Glad to hear this issue was resolved and the camper is back to usable. Tough when you buy a new camper and have issues that fall into the twilight zone as far as who is to blame.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #27
MarkEHansen

I would like to know how to reduce that friction too. My door seems to be getting tighter...
Old 01-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #28
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The only problem with trying to get another dealer to work on it is the fact that any RV dealer doesn’t have to service a unit sold by another dealer. I would make your expectations known when you drop it off.
Here is where I disagree. I've never had a problem with one dealer or another working on any of my campers not purchased from them. Of course, I was paying for the repair myself and NOT attempting to do warranty work. And I wasn't red-neck with them either.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #29
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I would like to know how to reduce that friction too. My door seems to be getting tighter...
Just look at the hinge and you'll see the two parts that are attached to the door. Those are the friction part of the hinge. On mine I was able to use a screwdriver and hammer to open up the friction part of the hinge on both hinges just a wee bit and it now operates freely.

On mine it was just the top and bottom hinges that are friction hinges. The middle hinge is a regular hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200918_153207.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	31638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200919_191205.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	31639  
Old 01-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #30
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Just look at the hinge and you'll see the two parts that are attached to the door. Those are the friction part of the hinge. On mine I was able to use a screwdriver and hammer to open up the friction part of the hinge on both hinges just a wee bit and it now operates freely.

On mine it was just the top and bottom hinges that are friction hinges. The middle hinge is a regular hinge.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks. I'll take a look.