Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Ken / Claudia

I got lucky with a dump valve problem

Just wanted to share my problem and fix.
Last trip, when closing the black dump valve the rod bent. I have cable/flex wire coming out of the bottom cover and that connects to a aluminum rod with the T handle and the end. Upon inspection I found the rod had ripped about 2/3 the way around the cable and just barely hanging on. I opened the valve and wrapped tape around the connection point of cable and rod so I could close the valve for a temp fix to get the trailer home.
Thought about ordering replacement parts and or full new valve with handle and do the job myself. But, there is a independent RV sales and repair business 5 miles away.
I took them photos of the rod and bottom of trailer to them. My luck, they have a tool to crimp rod onto cables and new rods in stock. Yeah, I thought about that also, but unsure if my normal vise pliers would do that job.
12 bucks for parts and 1 hour labor bill and all is good. I did not need to mess with a black tank valve tear down.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

ANY day without the need to "open a black tank" is a WUNNERFUL day to all RV'ers.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote