Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #1
Modersical

Newbie in AR

Hello, all!

I have had a tad of experience years ago, while in college, helping my dad get his trailer to and from the lake on a number of occasions. Today, I am semi-retired, and have recently acquired a 2014 Keystone Outback 310TB; to pull behind my Nissan Titan XD.

One of my first orders of business is to learn about the back wall of this unit (thickness & insulation?), so I can install a wireless backup camera. I am looking at the Voyager WVOS43.

And then, I need to figure out a safe ramp extension to enable me to load my Goldwing into the forward hold; with the notion being, a longer incline means I don't "high-center" at the top of the ramp, and topple over with embashment, injury, and damage. I understand I should be able to fit it in, barely, by cocking the front fork/wheel toward the corner.

Any suggestions toward finding existing forums that have solved these problems will be greatly appreciated.

See you online & on the road.
David
Modersical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Modersical

I guess I do have a lot to learn! I thought I was posting this to the new member thread. Oh, well. I'm signed up, and hope to have good communications!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
Jeepshots

Welcome to the forums from Central Arkansas!! Lots of good info floating around here - just grab a chair and start poking around. Congrats on the Outback, and good luck with the Goldwing!
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here!
Some have added a plywood extension to the end with a piano hinge. If you cut it narrow it'll hang inside when the door closes and be out of the way. Then you add a support under the longer ramp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Modersical

Thanks guys! Jelling more ideas around in the noggin! I don't reckon anyone has determined the angle of incline & length of ramp that is needed to prevent high centering? Have to experiment some with my 10' trailer to determine for sure. Not much clearance underneath road bike . . . Similar I guess to Wings and Harley's. If you want a notion of what I'm trying to prevent, go to YouTube & look for video of "10 most embarrassing attempts at loading a bike"! If you have a wicked sense of humor, you may laugh between your sobs of grief. ��

It seems the biggest mistake is using a ramp too narrow to put your foot down if it does high center, or if you stop for any reason; because you will stop when you high center, and if your butt is 4' or so above the ground, most of us will not be able to get your foot on the ground and keep your precious modersical from toppling!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I walk my bike up while riding it to load. My Impact has a beaver tail do no fear of high centering it. That said, u still come up off of the seat to add extra clearance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags