Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #21
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post
Jim W

Are the tires you used called XPS Ribs? Light Truck Tires?

Do the truck tires handle sidewall loading well on a camper (such as in low speed sharp turns that put a lot of strain on the sidewall and bead)?
Sorry for the delay in answering you, I was camping with the grand kids and did not return until Tuesday the 17.

Yes; the XPRIBS are commercial truck tires that are rated as all position tires. This means they will work as the steered axle, drive axle and/or trailer axles. Michelin even stats that the XPRibs tires will fit RV trailers providing load and inflation tables for RV products.
Here is a link to the RV page for Michelin tires.
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche.../new-tires.jsp
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
Whitehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Yesterday, I ran my new Maxxi E's 300 miles and I will say it was like a night and day improvement on the way the trailer handled. A lot less chucking going over bumps and less side to side sway with the stiffer sidewalls of the E's. I am so glad I made the switch.
I would not have accepted the D's I'd I were in your shoes, but I guess you didn't have any choice. I bet you could get a decent $ for your new D's on Craigslist. I sold my 3 year old Towmax D's for $200 in one week. Just food for thought.
Steve
I think you should try selling them while they are new and then get your E rated tires. It's one less worry. Typically when 1 tire blows it can take out the other or your fenders. Those typically cost a few thousand & a lot of camping time to fix.

Those D tires are popular on smaller RVs & boat trailers. You shouldn't have any problem getting rid of them.

The other thing is to run them. Once you start seeing wear or cracking etc, which you will, you can call the tire mfg & see if they will give you credit towards the tires and then upgrade to the E rated Maxxis. This is what I did with my old D rated Carlisle tires
Whitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #23
SamG

Tires and Rims

I have a 2011 Raptor 3812TS that came with 16 inch rims, max load capacity 3,580, max psi of 80. Tires were Towmax 235/80 R16E with less than 5k on them. Well, I had my 1st blowout 3 weeks ago. Some damage to the RV but both Camping World and a local tire dealer said all of the tires were bad due to the tread separating. Claim has been filed.
What I did was bought a 16 inch rim to hold a max load of 3,850 with 110psi and went with the GY G614 that is H rated, 14 ply. Very expensive but wanted a heavy duty tire.
I am getting ready to put the other aluminum wheels on line. If you are looking to upgrade from 15 to 16 inch pls let me know. I would not settle for D rated.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
I have a 2011 Raptor 3812TS that came with 16 inch rims, max load capacity 3,580, max psi of 80. Tires were Towmax 235/80 R16E with less than 5k on them. Well, I had my 1st blowout 3 weeks ago. Some damage to the RV but both Camping World and a local tire dealer said all of the tires were bad due to the tread separating. Claim has been filed.
What I did was bought a 16 inch rim to hold a max load of 3,850 with 110psi and went with the GY G614 that is H rated, 14 ply. Very expensive but wanted a heavy duty tire.
I am getting ready to put the other aluminum wheels on line. If you are looking to upgrade from 15 to 16 inch pls let me know. I would not settle for D rated.
We decided when we brought our Fuzion home to improve the tires. The 360 had 235/80r16 Carlisles. The only choice after some research for the same size tire would have been the g614s. Decided to go with 17.5" wheels and Goodyear G114 tires. Load range H. Not for the load capacity, but the strength. Watching a 5th wheel "turn" with the truck at almost 90 degrees in certain situations and the tires scuffing more than rolling, especially with a triple axle, makes you wonder what forces are put on the trailer tire's construction other than the ones from rolling down the road.

Goodyear may have done something new to the G614. When I was researching them they were 12 ply with a G load range. The size was 235/85r16 but the same diameter as the 235/80s. Maybe the G614 needed an upgrade?
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #25
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Sorry for the delay in answering you, I was camping with the grand kids and did not return until Tuesday the 17.

Yes; the XPRIBS are commercial truck tires that are rated as all position tires. This means they will work as the steered axle, drive axle and/or trailer axles. Michelin even stats that the XPRibs tires will fit RV trailers providing load and inflation tables for RV products.
Here is a link to the RV page for Michelin tires.
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche.../new-tires.jsp
Jim W.
Interesting-
they have a speed rating of 75 mph.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
Interesting-
they have a speed rating of 75 mph.
Normally the Michelin XPS Rib tires have a Q (99 MPH) stamp on them. However, Michelin derates them to 75 MPH for self propelled RV use. I'm sure if you email them they will tell you they are also rated for 75 mph when on RV trailer axles.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #27
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Normally the Michelin XPS Rib tires have a Q (99 MPH) stamp on them. However, Michelin derates them to 75 MPH for self propelled RV use. I'm sure if you email them they will tell you they are also rated for 75 mph when on RV trailer axles.

CW
CWtheMan- I just spent about 25 min reading your blog- VERY well written, and now I'm more scared then ever about my trailer tires.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #28
alien_scones

A spare tire, TMPS system, road assistance plan like AAA and/or Good Sam, and a stash of cash should keep your worries at bay.
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote