Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
game warden

Reese hp or hensley

Last trip before we close her up for winter and it was windy going to campground.i am towing a 303tg with a f-350 srw crew and 8 ft bed 6.4 liter.sway was horrible and i`m white knuckles when trucks are passing even with out the wind.i see some like the reese anyone towing with this hensley? Ouch is it $$$$ 3000.00 plus but it sound good with whatever the weather or who`s passing you on the road.i have a draw tight its what the dealer sold me on and i have one friction on it.any input ??
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by game warden View Post
Last trip before we close her up for winter and it was windy going to campground.i am towing a 303tg with a f-350 srw crew and 8 ft bed 6.4 liter.sway was horrible and i`m white knuckles when trucks are passing even with out the wind.i see some like the reese anyone towing with this hensley? Ouch is it $$$$ 3000.00 plus but it sound good with whatever the weather or who`s passing you on the road.i have a draw tight its what the dealer sold me on and i have one friction on it.any input ??
You can buy the Hensley (factory reconditioned) for under $2K.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Paddler

I towed a 35 footer with an Equal-i-zer hitch and a GMC 2500 D/A short bed without sway concerns. Mind you, it didn't pull as nice as a fifth wheel but we never had an uncomfortable tow in 4 years of ownership. The Equal-i-zer will not compensate for a grossly over-matched tow vehicle but will probably work very well for your setup. Cost under $600.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
game warden

Thanks for all the advise.i called my dealer today to ask about the reese set up ...ouch $1000.00 installed.the dealer recomended just adding another friction on the left side to see if it got the results i was looking for.so i think i am going to try this first and go from there.
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by game warden View Post
Thanks for all the advise.i called my dealer today to ask about the reese set up ...ouch $1000.00 installed.the dealer recomended just adding another friction on the left side to see if it got the results i was looking for.so i think i am going to try this first and go from there.
I just did that, added the 2nd friction bar. Have yet to tow with it but I hope it will be the answer to to the slight sway problems that I've incountered.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
LeeMedic

The nice thing with the Hensley, there is never any sway under any condition. No friction stabilizers needed. Pure comfort towing, and for only $800 more. What is peace of mind worth to you?

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
SLIMSHADIE

I bought my Reese DC at etrailer.com for roughly $600, shipped to my door. I did have to setup, but it only took a couple hours. It wasnt hard. They have several different videos to watch for help. My last trip was the windiest I've ever drove in 3 years, but it did a great job. No white knuckles, just pay attention and slow down a notch.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
SteveC7010

Your DrawTite is made by the same company that makes Reese.

Your DrawTite is made by the same company that makes Reese. Draw Tite also offers the Dual Cam sway control which can be added to your existing weight distributing system. It is all the same stuff with different names and part numbers on it.

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/pro...ID=1655&part=0

(For those that might doubt the above, bring up the Reese and DrawTite websites side by side and start comparing items. They are all owned by Cequent who also owns HiddenHitch and several other brands.)

FWIW, one friction sway control manufacturer recommends that friction control is only useful on trailer up to 25' in length or so. Longer trailers have too much fulcrum power on the hitch for the friction controllers to work properly.

For trailers as large as yours, the preferred sway control is Reese (or Draw Tite or Hidden Hitch) Dual Cam, the Hensley Arrow, or the Pull Rite system. There are merits to each. The Hensley and Pull Rite are significantly more expensive but they do work. There is endless debate about which of the three systems is best. What I have never heard is anyone claiming that their <fill in the blank> did not work as expected.

Since you already have an investment in a DrawTite WD system, it seems to me that adding the Dual Cam to your existing gear would be the most cost effective approach.

One other point. Many dealers and trailer shops will give you trade-in credit on individual pieces of your hitch system. For example, if your trunnion bars do not have the detent needed for the Dual Cam, they might well take them in trade on the proper bars needed. And, they might have used components to offer to you at a reduced price. I have purchased used hitch system components many times and never had a problem with any item.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
SteveC7010

I also noticed that the Dual Cam package is on sale at etrailer.com right now for $194.95.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote