Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2020, 05:45 AM   #1
TG10894

Corona Virus (Covid 19) Related Question

Roaming in southern FL for 4 more weeks this season. Starting to wonder if there is a chance I will be in an area that gets "quarantined" due to the number of cases, growth rate, etc. Some may say what's not to like about getting stuck in FL, but i really don't want to be stuck somewhere. Any opinions on this scenario? Anyone seen any definitive info on quarantine procedures is the US as it pertains to visitors? This could blow over in a few weeks, but I suspect it will get a lot worse before it gets better.
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

If anyone had that knowledge they would be calling a stock broker and getting very rich. If you fear getting "stuck" where you are then I'd suggest moving asap to someplace you wouldn't mind being stuck.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:05 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Stay out of current hot spots, Seattle, New York City. The others are a crap shoot and like Marshall said no y to predict it.

Best thing to do is to keep social distance and do your part to flatten the curve and slow down spread. And take it serious. This is hyped for sensationalism but is taken seriously by healthcare workers. Follow their lead if you want to know how to react.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Sucks to keep to yourself but for the time being it's what we have to do. Just keep hand sanitizer in your pocket and when you touch something that someone else may touch like shopping carts just whip it out. Funny part is you have to touch the outside of the bottle which almost defeats the purpose don't you think?
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Of course the coronavirus "pandemic" may explode but just for reference;

Per the CDC; for the 2018-2019 year influenza stats were 35.5M getting sick with influenza, 16.5M going to a healthcare provider, 490,600 hospitalizations and 34,200 deaths. This is a similar trend from previous years.

For coronavirus there have been 2,950 documented cases and 60 deaths. These are all U.S. numbers.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronaviru...ry?id=69602911

First quarter of 2020 is almost gone. If we take the above numbers and multiply them by 4 (a year) the numbers we would get for coronavirus are dwarfed, REALLY dwarfed by those of influenza yet the world is not tipping over on its ear, folks being quarantined, panic in the streets etc. Influenza has been with us decades and we deal with it - the same should go for coronavirus instead of this unwarranted, knee jerk panic. For coronavirus to have an impact like influenza it would have to EXPLODE exponentially many times over from the current rate - and then only be on a par with influenza...which we think nothing about. Hmmm, I wonder what IS actually driving this "insanity"....??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I just read using Toilet Paper may cause you to get it. You should toss all the hoarded TP if you did that last week.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
For coronavirus to have an impact like influenza it would have to EXPLODE exponentially many times over from the current rate - and then only be on a par with influenza...which we think nothing about.

You need to check your math and your research. The virus APPEARS to communicate just a fast and easily as the flu. The death rate from the flu as cited in your figures is .001%. (34,200 out of 35.5M)

The death rate from the novel corona virus as published by the World Health Organization is around 3.5%. That same population of 35.5M sick people could THEORETICALLY expect 1,242,500 deaths.

That's what we're trying to avoid. By reducing exposure to crowds, we can significantly reduce the transmission rate. No need to panic but let's use caution in where we go and what we do.

My 2 cents, obviously your milage may vary!
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
No need to panic but let's use caution in where we go and what we do.

My 2 cents, obviously your milage may vary!
And that there is the main issue IMO...Who to blame for the Fear and panic? This thread isn't the place to discuss it as far as I am concerned.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #9
Snoking

Dr Anthony Fauci one of the lead scientist from our government stated on Face the Nation this morning, if you think we are overreacting, that is what we should be doing right now.
"Fauci on coronavirus: "We'll be thankful that we're overreacting"
Old 03-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

My previous post was to cite numbers, not downplay anyone trying to be aware, responsible and take reasonable precautions. The numbers from the WHO have already been debunked but that isn't a conversation that we need to have in an RV forum. I agree with Chuck. We all have our thoughts and need to work through this in whatever fashion we feel is appropriate. It is a subject like politics and religion....no right or wrong and some are very passionate about it; not really for discussion here. With that said, I have said my last on the subject.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Just "MY" humble (or not so humble) opinion:

It doesn't matter to me if the death rate is 0.0001% or 90.0001%. If I'm the one sick, in a hospital ICU or the "morgue", it doesn't really matter to my family HOW worried any of you might be"...…

Sounds cold, I know, but COVID-19 is a "personal disease" that affects seniors with co-morbidities much more seriously than it affects younger people or healthier people. Since I'm an "old fart" COVID-19 MIGHT be something I don't want, so I'm taking all the conventional procedures to avoid contact. I wash my hands regularly, try to eat properly, get enough rest, don't get tired (unnecessarily or frequently), stay away from crowds, don't go around "petri dish people" (those that are sick all the time, have toddlers or young school age children). I also stay out of hospitals, clinics, restaurants, "old farts meeting places", etc. I've even decided to stay away from church for the time being. I've no doubt they'll get their money some way other than the "sunday morning collection plate" ….

So, for those who are in a "fill your pants" panic, I'd suggest a "chill pill"... be smart, not frantic. For those who are "immortal", good for you, stay away from me while you take those unnecessary chances. And, for those who are trying to avoid risks, the fourm is an ideal place for "communicating without contaminating"..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #12
Snoking

Thanks for a sane view of the issue. If millions die a lot of people will have to eat crow the rest of their lives. Chris
Old 03-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

John, since I can't find an "elbow bump" emoji I'll just wave.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I said I would not comment on this again, but, I've spent the last 2 hours listening to the doctor channel on SiriusXM (121) and I would highly recommend anyone interested in this to give it a try for a while. It has various segments but some are highly enlightening including psychiatrists that explain why folks are panic buying and "fear for the worst" without rationalization.

Their mantra, as should everyone's IMO, is to do the commonsense stuff of handwashing, covering your mouth if you are coughing, don't keep putting your hands on your face, and my favorite, stay at least 5' away from folks. Went to Walmart in the "city" this afternoon and it actually wasn't too hard to just stay away from folks. Sanitize your hands, if you can; seems everyone is sold out of it. You can use alcohol I suppose and make your own. Personally I stay far away from children - I have caught more colds and flu from my grandkids than I ever had in my normal life. Something else I would throw out that has worked miracles for me - my "wonder drug" so to speak - is vitamin C. I take 1000mgs every morning and if I feel like I'm getting sick I up it to 5000mgs a day until I don't feel sniffles, stuffy etc. I haven't been sick in at least 15 years since I've started the regimen...it has been unbelievable to me but I have been with folks that were exposed to the same things I have been, felt the same onset, began my increased regimen, didn't get sick and they did multiple times. I also take 400mg of vitamin E every morning. Took a long time to get my wife to believe me but I've got her doing it now and she is a believer as well. May not work for anyone else but has been a Godsend to me.

Like John, it matters not to me the death rate percentage, if it is me then it is me. Anyone else's worries over the issue is irrelevant. What I did or didn't do won't even be important at that point. What will happen is anyone's guess. Weakened immune systems, age, bad health, smoking etc. etc. (John outlined many things to help avoid it) will make you more vulnerable to the fatal possibilities...just like the flu.

We are on the front end of this thing but by all accounts if we do what we've been told (listed above as well as John's post), stop hoarding supplies so that everyone can have the needed commodities and use common sense this will pass. Today it was shared that this is a "weak" virus and can be killed easily in our environment - we just have to take those precautions. It is very much like the flu in that most cases are mild; the weak, very young and old are the ones susceptible. Minimize your risks/exposure. If you feel it appropriate, self quarantine. If you feel sick by all means PLEASE stay home.

One post said that if millions died a lot of folks would have to "eat crow" the rest of their lives. I'm not sure why. Millions have died from influenza and I don't know of anyone "eating crow". We just do the best we can and follow all the best practices; after that it's up to God.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I said I would not comment on this again, but, I've spent the last 2 hours listening to the doctor channel on SiriusXM (121) and I would highly recommend anyone interested in this to give it a try for a while. It has various segments but some are highly enlightening including psychiatrists that explain why folks are panic buying and "fear for the worst" without rationalization.

Their mantra, as should everyone's IMO, is to do the commonsense stuff of handwashing, covering your mouth if you are coughing, don't keep putting your hands on your face, and my favorite, stay at least 5' away from folks. Went to Walmart in the "city" this afternoon and it actually wasn't too hard to just stay away from folks. Sanitize your hands, if you can; seems everyone is sold out of it. You can use alcohol I suppose and make your own. Personally I stay far away from children - I have caught more colds and flu from my grandkids than I ever had in my normal life. Something else I would throw out that has worked miracles for me - my "wonder drug" so to speak - is vitamin C. I take 1000mgs every morning and if I feel like I'm getting sick I up it to 5000mgs a day until I don't feel sniffles, stuffy etc. I haven't been sick in at least 15 years since I've started the regimen...it has been unbelievable to me but I have been with folks that were exposed to the same things I have been, felt the same onset, began my increased regimen, didn't get sick and they did multiple times. I also take 400mg of vitamin E every morning. Took a long time to get my wife to believe me but I've got her doing it now and she is a believer as well. May not work for anyone else but has been a Godsend to me.

Like John, it matters not to me the death rate percentage, if it is me then it is me. Anyone else's worries over the issue is irrelevant. What I did or didn't do won't even be important at that point. What will happen is anyone's guess. Weakened immune systems, age, bad health, smoking etc. etc. (John outlined many things to help avoid it) will make you more vulnerable to the fatal possibilities...just like the flu.

We are on the front end of this thing but by all accounts if we do what we've been told (listed above as well as John's post), stop hoarding supplies so that everyone can have the needed commodities and use common sense this will pass. Today it was shared that this is a "weak" virus and can be killed easily in our environment - we just have to take those precautions. It is very much like the flu in that most cases are mild; the weak, very young and old are the ones susceptible. Minimize your risks/exposure. If you feel it appropriate, self quarantine. If you feel sick by all means PLEASE stay home.

One post said that if millions died a lot of folks would have to "eat crow" the rest of their lives. I'm not sure why. Millions have died from influenza and I don't know of anyone "eating crow". We just do the best we can and follow all the best practices; after that it's up to God.
AMEN Danny!
Common sense & simple precautions!
Fear & panic ain't helping!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #16
Snoking

Here is an interesting read.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca
Old 03-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

We still don't know how many people have "unreported" cases, so we don't know what we don't know. It's impossible to accept China's statistics, they have over-reported, under-reported, failed to report and double reported so much in the past 8 weeks, that anything they submit is subject to being factual or a flat out lie. Again, we don't know what we don't know.

Nobody that I've read or heard has suggested the "pass fail validity" of any COVID-19 test being used anywhere in the world. We don't know if there is a problem with "false positives" (inaccurate tests that indicate infection) or "false negatives" (inaccurate tests that indicate no infection). Every test will have a "failure rate" and we don't know if South Korea's test is valid, we are, however assuming it is 100% accurate, although we know that's not possible.

As for China, they are reporting containment and falling numbers of new cases. Are they testing them all? or are they (as China has been known to do) manipulating the data by only testing those they suspect are not carriers??? It's a simple way to demonstrate their process works to protect their citizens, even if hundreds are dying every day.... Again, we don't know what we don't know. I'd ask, how much do you "trust" China????

It's so very simple for any country that wants to "manipulate emotion" to create a "false crisis" or to create a "marked improvement" by misrepresenting the statistics that can't be verified.

I'm not accusing any country of doing that, but I wasn't born yesterday and I won't trust China or Iran at face value and having lived in South Korea, I have seen their "engineering standard where 50 story apartment buildings fall in the middle of the night from no apparent reason and I was in country when the bridge fell over the river in Seoul, killing hundreds. The government had no explanation for that failure either.... So, is their COVID-19 test any more accurate than their engineering studies ???

There's far more that we simply don't know about this virus than what we do know. It's a virus, nothing more.

Afraid? No
Worried? No
Concerned? Yes
Taking REASONABLE AND PRUDENT action to protect myself? Yes
Panic? Please don't, it's a waste of effort, breath and energy

That's about all any of us can do, at least until we know more of what we don't know......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #18
RWRiley

Forgive for taking the convo in a different direction but, DW and I were just talking that RV'ers might have the safest way to travel. Able to avoid public restrooms, restaurants, and hotel rooms. So we are thinking if we have to go somewhere, hookup the trailer and travel safe(er).
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #19
vampress_me

Snowbirds?

Curiosity question for those who are traveling in the southern states. Are the Canadian snowbirds worried at all about getting back north across the border? It came up because a friend’s son is at university in Winnipeg, and they are going to online learning for the rest of the semester. She’s worried about getting up there (and back) if the border is likely to be shut down. My thought was to not worry too much yet because of the number of snowbirds that are down here and will want to get home, but ...?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Lynette,

It's "business as usual" at the border checkpoints in Sault Ste Marie and Sarnia.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS