Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 AM   #1
Jdaviso

Thinking about renting...

I was just wondering if anyone has rented their RVs out on sites like RVShare or Outdoorsy? What kind of experience did you have with it and would you do it again? Right now we are only using the RV about one, sometimes two, weekends a month.

2019 Passport SL 292BH
2017 Nissan NV 3500HD SL
2014 Ram 1500 QC 5.7L Hemi
2006 Gulf Stream Z26EXP (Sold)
1999 Coleman Westlake (Sold)
Jdaviso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 AM   #2
busterbrown

It only takes one bad experience with a "renter" to put an "expensive bad taste" in your mouth. Most of those who frequent owner and enthusiast forums will have personal pride and satisfaction in their coaches. Renting to the public would go against that culture.

Also, RVs are too fragile and too expensive to repair when things go wrong. Will you collect the $5,000 for the repair bill if the renter puts a hole in the side of the coach while backing up? How does comprehensive and collision insurance policies work with renters? Too many uncontrollable "disastrous" variables IMO.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 AM   #3
notanlines

You will find that the vast majority of members on here won't even let their friends or family tow their pride and joy, much less back up, hitch up, and leave for a week with them. No way, Jose!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #4
5J's

From these two posts I believe you have the answer to your question. Not sure it's what you're looking for but.....

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
Carrottop

We have been RV'ing since the early 70's and our father told us never rent or lend your RV. He likened it to this "Would lend or rent out your wife? Then the same rule applies to the RV. All of us kids still follow this rule. My neighbor asked to borrow my class A when we still had one for a family vacation I politely stated that I do not lend or rent my rig and gave him the name of some rental agencies, he really has not spoken to me since. I think it would be more hassle than the small amount of rent you are going to collect. If you are still not sure watch the movie "RV" with the late Robin Williams that should convince you.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
travelin texans

If I thought I might try renting out mine I doubt that any potential renter would be willing to put down the HUGE cash down payment I'd require.
Even most rental agencies don't rent towables & for good reason, they'd show up with their Tacoma or their all powerful 1/2 ton & want to biggest 5th wheel on the lot.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I wouldn't even start to consider renting my RV out; or my car, truck or any of my other houses. People anymore have absolutely no respect for their "stuff" or yours.

When renting it out you would more than likely draw those that want to try out the "RV" experience for the first time with their 4 kids having never been in an RV in their lives. RVs require not only specialized knowledge but also specialized procedures. When I pay out my hard earned money on a new RV that I KNOW I have to learn, I will do so carefully and slowly taking care to protect my investment. When Phil Bob and Mary Lou show up with the 4 kids for the weekend, that they've invested a couple hundred bucks in, they could care less how it works, how it's supposed to work or if it works when they leave - that is, and will be, your problem. Not for me!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
CaptnJohn

If I wanted to sleep where whoever did whatever and maybe brought bugs too I'd go to a motel, it is less expensive.
I did the motel stuff for days, weeks, months at a time when I worked. Now I want my own bed, fridge, and bathroom.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

What do you do when the "renter" brings it back, or tells you on Monday morning that the "electric thing" shut off power and the air conditioner wouldn't work, so he put it in bypass and Sunday the air conditioner stopped working and the TV stopped working and that "electric thing" won't go into bypass any more.... Oh, and the toilet is stopped up, but if you press the pedal and slide your foot off of it, it will slam shut, but now it's rocking on the floor and won't hold water. Oh yes, and there's something wrong with the slide, my son (14 YO) tried to bring it in so he could climb into the top bunk and it caught on the cabinet door, but it didn't break the door, just the handle, but the slide won't go out all the way now and it won't come in all the way either. Oh and just so you know, there's a rip in the awning. We opened it and saw the rip so we closed it and didn't use it all weekend. Can we get something off the rental fee since the awning didn't work?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:04 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

As a kid, a couple that were friends of my parents had the idea. To be able to own a motorhome, they would rent it out to make the payments. Use it when they could and it would pay for itself. It ended up getting used a lot, so much after 2 or 3 years it was trashed. Now at 62 I have realized most of my friends do not maintain anything up to my standards, we let some use our beach house just asking for 25 bucks a weekend to pay for water/electricity. Food left behind sofa, fleas, wet towels left on floor instead of wash/drying them. When we arrived we normally needed to clean up. Those were a few issues. At a point we said no more.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What do you do when the "renter" brings it back, or tells you on Monday morning that the "electric thing" shut off power and the air conditioner wouldn't work, so he put it in bypass and Sunday the air conditioner stopped working and the TV stopped working and that "electric thing" won't go into bypass any more.... Oh, and the toilet is stopped up, but if you press the pedal and slide your foot off of it, it will slam shut, but now it's rocking on the floor and won't hold water. Oh yes, and there's something wrong with the slide, my son (14 YO) tried to bring it in so he could climb into the top bunk and it caught on the cabinet door, but it didn't break the door, just the handle, but the slide won't go out all the way now and it won't come in all the way either. Oh and just so you know, there's a rip in the awning. We opened it and saw the rip so we closed it and didn't use it all weekend. Can we get something off the rental fee since the awning didn't work?
Exactly!
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
^^^This is how I imagine renting out my RV would work out.
I lent an angle grinder to two very close friends the other day to do some work on a dinghy in the vacant lot next door to my house. When they were through, they toddled off and just left the grinder laying in the long grass.

Most people don't even take care of their own stuff. When they're using someone else's gear it seems they feel like "Who cares?". Never again will I lend, rent or in any fashion let someone else use my stuff!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #13
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
^^^This is how I imagine renting out my RV would work out.
I lent an angle grinder to two very close friends the other day to do some work on a dinghy in the vacant lot next door to my house. When they were through, they toddled off and just left the grinder laying in the long grass.

Most people don't even take care of their own stuff. When they're using someone else's gear it seems they feel like "Who cares?". Never again will I lend, rent or in any fashion let someone else use my stuff!
Brings up the old saying " Don't really care I don't own a bolt in her".

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #14
Gegrad

Quote:
This to the 10th power. The exaggeration just made it even better and more truthful. We don't go #2 in the toilet because the poor design doesn't allow the solids to go into the heart of the tank, even with lots of water, and I still have occasional problems getting it empty. I can't even imagine letting some family who have never touched an RV toilet and the mess i would be stuck with. Talk about a messy situation!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #15
Customer1

If I was to do it the rental would be used only for renting. I would never rent out my personal RV.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #16
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I'd be looking for new "friends"
Well, it wasn't quite that level of transgression that I'd cast off some good friends, but I'll never lend them anything again.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:00 AM   #17
GMcKenzie

I remember being asked if My trailer could be used for for staff at a charity event. I said sure and pulled it down, set it up and left a note not to use the toilet (no water in the trailer). When I picked it up someone had crapped in the toilet. Of course it wouldn't flush.

Never again, so renting would be out.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:31 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

When we lived in Denver in the early '70's, I had an RV repair business and took in consignment motor homes to sell. We rented motorhomes to the public for a VERY SHORT WHILE..... I don't believe we ever got one back from a rental that we didn't have to put most of the rental fees back into getting it ready to put back on the sales lot.

As for people using the toilet, we put a printed tape banner to put over the toilet bowl (you could still open the seat to see the condition of the toilet) that said, "Please do not use toilet" I don't think a day went by where people were looking at the motorhomes that we didn't find a cigarette butt, a Kleenex, or human waste in at least one or two of the toilets. I know people can read, so it wasn't that they "didn't know". It was simply because the rules applied to "everyone else, not me".... And to think we consider "back then" as being "the considerate generation"... I'd be very fearful of trying that with today's crowd of "me people".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
kjohn

Can't imagine renting or lending our RV. I have a beater 99 Ford F250 that I use to go to work in the Spring and Fall. I'd lend that one out.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #20
larryflew

I'm one of those that won't lend it to my nearly 50 year old sons so I can't answer personally but our winter neighbor in AZ only uses his class C motor home to winter there and rents it through an agency during the rest of the year. He has done this for a lot of years and says the overall experience has been great and the rig was paid for years ago. The agency keeps his rig, cleans it between users and inspects for damages etc. He has only had one problem and that was a lose fitting water leak that the agency didn't see and he had to repair when he was in Az.

Again, I won't do it but............