Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #21
koko

We try to keep it at about 300-350 miles a day when we're long-distance-destination bound. Much of this depends on road conditions, wind conditions, traffic conditions, stops made...We will "occasionally" have to go 450 miles; but we start to feel pretty rummy by the time we stop unless we're on good, low-traffic roads in perfect weather conditions. Wind and darkness are not our friend. We never go over 65 mph (tire safety issues) and usually are averaging about 55-60. We think that no one - young or old - can pull a trailer for 10+ hours or 500 miles per day (especially for several days in a row) safely when it's just one driver, and it has just as much to do with the safety of others as it does with how "we feel". Even before we retired, when we were pulling we had to fight to keep safety factors above "lets get there as quickly as we can".

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #22
gearhead

Back in the old days we would drive straight thru after work to Pagosa Springs for hunting trips. We had a cabover and would trade places every few hours. It's 1,000 miles and 19-24 hours depending if we took a mule. I've driven by myself to Walsenburg. These days 6 hours is my goal. Headed north or east we know where our first stop is and that's 5 hours for both.
When we had the Cougar XLite 3 or 4 years ago I pulled from Bristol TN. straight thru to Liberty...1,000 miles. Not wanting to, but the daughter was having a "relationship crisis" and DW wanted to GET HOME. The Ford 350 couldn't tell the little Cougar was back there. All was well until about 9pm and I came across the bridge in Baton Rouge to a massive truck wreck. All ended well with the daughter.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:30 AM   #23
larry337

Actually it's a total of 11 hrs driving and no driving after the 14th hour at which time a 10 hour break is required. And it doesn't apply to non CDL activities anyway. 500-600 miles a day is nothing for a truck driver. Just another day at the office so to speak. Everyone's pace and tolerance will be different. Personally I can cover a lot of ground in 24 hrs, stopping for short breaks, or letting my wife take over for a couple hours. I do a lot of the heavy lifting after dark. In my job I work nights driving semi. So I'm in my zone at night, I kind of get my second wind once evening sets in as that's what I do for a living. Obviously the answers will be all over the board. Different drivers, passengers, and agendas. Everyone requires different amounts of sleep to be able to function. Everyone has different energy levels. You just have to find your own comfort zone. For us, we don't plan stops. We drive till we get where we're going. If I'm tired, I find a place to park and we climb in the trailer and take a nap. Or we sit down for a meal somewhere and take an hour break. I realize we're the exception to the rule, most people wouldn't be able to keep up with us. For me it's not rushing either, it's not stressful, it's just what I do. But one thing I believe in is stopping every 3 hours or so, 4 at most. I get fuel, use the bathroom, stretch my legs and resume driving.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:56 AM   #24
SADLY

In addition to the comments regarding "it depends" from many posters ahead of me...

I'll add one other thing that adds or detracts from the enjoyment....

SCENERY.... Many times driving through western Oklahoma I want to stab myself in the eye after just 4 hours because there is NOTHING to see/look at...

But drive between Oklahoma City and San Antonio (which may take 10 hours depending upon traffic) there's a little town every 20-30 minutes. So there's plenty of different things to look at.
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:48 AM   #25
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
bsmith0404

This is just from memory and I may be wrong but do I recall that you hauled/delivered RVs for manufacturers? That might make a large difference in perspectives.. If my memory is defective (anymore who knows) I apologize.
I did transport RVs, but I preferred the longer driving days before I started that. Maybe that's why I enjoyed transporting. The 11 hours driving per day allowed for truck drivers just seemed natural/comfortable to me (maybe the NHTSA got something right). I can only remember one day where I felt worn out at the end of the 11 hours, but I was in western CO headed to NM and was pushing to make it to Gallup for the night. I did 700 miles that day in the 11 driving hours (max 14 duty hours). The 11 hours was normal, but pushing to maintain at least a 63 mph average wore me out. Doing 600-650 in a day was just a nice relaxing day on the road.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #26
jsmith948

An interesting thread. For us, we plan on 375 to 400 miles per day. Back in the day, when I was an independent owner/operator, I would deliver produce in and around the Seattle area. Twenty hrs from Salinas to Seattle - 28hrs if coming from El Centro/Yuma. The scales weren't all computer linked back then. Many of us ran 2 log books so we could be sleeping in one and driving in the other. Did that for 5 1/2 years before I burned out and landed a driving job with a union company that adhered to the DOT rules.

Now, I have no desire to push. When I feel tired, we stop. Spent too many years and miles fighting fatigue.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #27
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
..... I can only remember one day where I felt worn out at the end of the 11 hours, but I was in western CO headed to NM and was pushing to make it to Gallup for the night. I did 700 miles that day in the 11 driving hours (max 14 duty hours). The 11 hours was normal, but pushing to maintain at least a 63 mph average wore me out. Doing 600-650 in a day was just a nice relaxing day on the road.
The reason you got wore out is because you WERE pushing yourself. I've been doing this long enough to not let the road or traffic win. I take what is given, I don't stress, I run pretty close to 70 if I can, but I don't worry about it if I can't. I'll get there when I get there and I learned a long time ago the actual travel time doesn't vary by much over the long haul. When you spend every minute of an 11 hour day worrying about time that's what wears you out. I'm not picking on you specifically, people in general just need to chill when on the road. You don't need to win every battle or fight for every position. Learn to relax and share the road, let some one merge in, don't tailgate, don't be afraid to lift off the accelerator for 3 seconds lol. The constant stress of "competition" is what makes people tired at the end of a long trip. I too am a union driver and I run legal in a semi. But on my own time My wife and I routinely knock off 700-1200 miles without an extended break. I'm able to recognize early signs of fatigue because I've been there so many times, so if I need a break, I'm not afraid to pull over. And if I feel good then I just keep going. Stress/traffic/time/the road only win if you let them get to you. You could say the tortoise and the hare thing, but I'm a fast tortoise lol, if that makes any sense. And I'm relatively courteous, I'll let someone over or move over for faster traffic, (sometimes [emoji1] )

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 02-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #28
Desert185

When I was younger I used to ride 24 hour motorcycle rallies for charity. This was before Iron Butt. My record was 1333 miles in 21 hours. Eat a fig bar or two when gassing up and go. I also did the Three Flags Classic a couple of years. Leave Mexico on Friday night and end in Canada on Monday morning. Three countries and five or six states.

I believe I am past that stage in my life.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #29
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADLY View Post
In addition to the comments regarding "it depends" from many posters ahead of me...

I'll add one other thing that adds or detracts from the enjoyment....

SCENERY.... Many times driving through western Oklahoma I want to stab myself in the eye after just 4 hours because there is NOTHING to see/look at...

But drive between Oklahoma City and San Antonio (which may take 10 hours depending upon traffic) there's a little town every 20-30 minutes. So there's plenty of different things to look at.
Good point. I'll add that having the right tow vehicle makes a big difference too. Having more truck then you need will make it much more pleasurable to drive. Having too little of a truck will wear you out much faster.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 02-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Good point. I'll add that having the right tow vehicle makes a big difference too. Having more truck then you need will make it much more pleasurable to drive. Having too little of a truck will wear you out much faster.
larry337 makes probably one of the most significant mentioned.

When the tail wags the dog and your day is spent worrying about the next passing semi, gust of wind etc. you will be dead tired long before you should be. Some folks write it off because they think they are having fun since they are out with the family and going camping with the RV....it's just part of it. It's not. It makes a world of difference to be able to drive down the road with one hand and not be worried, or take your eyes off the road and check out puppy etc. Great point.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #31
gearhead

^^I noticed the difference when I went from a gasser to a diesel. No more downshifting to 3rd to get up a hill screaming at 5,000RPM.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

After looking at the original post I think the OP is probably OK with his F350
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #33
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
After looking at the original post I think the OP is probably OK with his F350
I sure hope so, other than getting a dully which I don't want I bought a truck I hoped would be way more than needed to take that aspect out of the picture.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #34
larry337

Ive actually thought about this from a different perspective.

I know how to use a computer but that doesn't mean I'd want to use one all day long. My knowledge is limited so I'd be outside my comfort zone. That would lead to stress, frustration, and anxiety. I'd be mentally drained. I'd probably be physically tired from sitting in a position I'm not used too, maybe my fingers or eyes would get tired. I can't type worth a crap. Generally speaking, I hate computers. I'm sure after 6-7 hours I'd want to put a bullet in my head lol and there's no way I'd make it even close to 12 hours.

So to the OP I'd guess the answer is somewhere between 6 and 12 hours a day. Which means your trip is a 2 day trip. Me on the other hand might finish the trip in one marathon all nighter,or I might split it up. Just depends on different factors. I usually drive 65-70mph, stop every 3-4 hours for fuel, snacks, whatever and 1 longer stop for a sit down meal, my average speed for the day usually works out to be 10mph less than my cruising speed. So your 800 mile trip would take me roughly 15 hours. But then I also work for a living and my vacation's are usually destination oriented and not exploring trips. If I was retired it would be a totally different agenda.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 02-21-2016, 02:59 AM   #35
denverpilot

We are generally long-haulers since we're still working and time limited, but as a for-fun pilot, I have sat countless long hours in the seat and enjoy it. There's always something to be thinking about or checking (I like a lot of instrumentation on my truck, go figure), and if the weather and road are good, there's little fatigue or stress for me. I just like driving.

Now as a pilot the other thing I've learned is that when the weather starts downhill there's times when it just isn't worth being out there. Or it's going to be a slog that is fatiguing and you'd better plan a nice long stop somewhere for some rest.

Additionally I'll play little puzzle games in my head. Calculate how many minutes to the destination for example, to see if I'm still sharp or if the brain is on its own autopilot. If it's going out to lunch, it's past time to get off the road.

Additionally I've learned from the airplane stuff that you're going to have breakdowns and be stuck somewhere while the mechanics fix it. If the schedule can't eat those and survive, plans had best be in place to park the rig and bail out for home or wherever needs the attention and return to get the rig later. Stuff happens.

We have one annual trip that's about 1300 miles. We do it in "about" two days. Never above 65 MPH (tire limits and noise level in the cab if the dually which adds to considerably to fatigue for most people). We have had that trip fly by in two days and we've had it take four with a busted fuel pump in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska. We don't push it. If things go sideways we just slow down. And since DW doesn't like to drive, she feeds me snacks and what not and keeps me entertained with her witty conversation if we aren't listening to something. (Ha!)

It's really all about comfort and fatigue level and also a bit about whether or not you're the type who wants a reservation waiting at a stopping point or not. We make one and try to depart early enough we arrive before sundown. We know we have a loud diesel TV so we try not to pull in after dark in case folks are asleep early.

On the road we usually hook up electricity but we might forego the sewer and just use the tanks or the campground facilities. Depends on mood and whatnot.

A lot of variables in this. And I guess that's my point. I might start off shooting for a two day butt-buster and then take three or four. I also won't hesitate to pull late and snag a few hours of nap at a rest area when and where allowed. Some folks won't do that. DW also doesn't mind. We forego it if we have the dogs with us, they can barely handle the excitement of going camping anyway, rest stops keep them awake and restless and that'll keep me that way also.

As someone else mentioned, the right TV helps. Diesel, big fuel tank, dually... Really removes a lot of fussing around. You just go.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #36
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
The reason you got wore out is because you WERE pushing yourself.
Oh I know why it happened, constantly watching the clock, worrying about the log, trying to make up time if I lost some. Trying to beat the clock is stressful, much easier if you can just relax and go, but I had a family emergency going on (which added to the stress) and I needed to get home so I pushed for an extra 50-100 miles over normal that day in the same 11 hour driving time.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #37
gtsum2

What is a reasonable distance to tow per day?

I have done numerous 1000-1500 mile trips non stop in a car/truck over the years but with the camper We try and do 300-350 per day but we have small kids and want to get somewhere for the night and let the kids play, etc. have done 480 in a day once but try not to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 04:21 PM   #38
roadglide

Being retired 350 to 400 max. When I travaled in the old class a with my kids dureing the summer and having a month off for work . I would make the 2300 mile trip to michigan in 3 days .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #39
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I've done short days and long days and to be honest, I don't enjoy the short days at all. I did one trip where I only traveled about 300 miles per day, and took 4 days to go 1260 miles. To be honest, I got tired of setting up and tearing down. Didn't really have that much time to relax and enjoy the area. I've done the same trip in 2 days and spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. Ate at a nearby restaurant and put the slides out so we could sleep (wouldn't have done that if the kids weren't with us). I would much rather drive about 600 miles per day, make overnight stops as easy as possible and relax when I get to my destination. 600 seems to be a comfortable distance for me. I've done 700 mile days, but that seemed to be a bit of a drain.
I'm kind of with you. We're going to Maine this summer, 2200 miles each way. Last time, we did it in 4 days, which was too much. This time, I'd like to do may be 400 miles each day. Part of the problem, though, is finding good stops in the area that I want to start. Especially through the midwest.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:36 AM   #40
old timer

I did a 482 mile trip and that was about as far as i would like to go in one day. The roads here in Ca will and did beat the crap out of me.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote