Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2015, 04:36 AM   #1
Movin' on

Disaster on Day One!

After weeks of work with modifications, packing, etc. the DW and I (the dog & cat too) finally started out on our 2nd snowbird adventure. We were heading to Fredericksburg, TX to spend Christmas there and enjoy the town and the people for a week before heading on to where ever our little hearts desired.

So, we start out everything is going well. We were talking about how excited we were to be doing this again, when someone going way too fast for wet pavement loses control on I-68 while passing us and well, I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story. Looks like we'll be spending Christmas in WV.

Fortunatly we were only 23 miles from home and were able to pull it back there. What would happen if we were 1000 miles away? What do you do?
I'd like to hear from others who have been in similar situations far from home and what they did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	9811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	9812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	9813  

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:58 AM   #2
old timer

Thats sad, when pulling we are sitting ducks. Hope the person had insurance.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
squeak93

That had to be scary! I've had a couple of "close" calls so far as some folks think you can stop on a dime when pulling just like they can. So they speed up to pass, cut you off, then jam the brakes to turn so they didn't have to wait that extra 10 seconds following you. All while talking/texting in their rolling phone booth.

Maybe I'm getting old (just in my early 30's lol) but I'm super protective while driving/pulling as I've always got my wife, two girls and dog with me.

My paranoia/greatest fear is someone causing a wreck and the trailer magically coming uncoupled and coming through the rear of the cab and causing severe harm to my daughters.... It's crap like that which keeps me up at night....

Oh and I'm glad you're ok OP. That looks like a significant amount of damage on the inside. I'd be extremely nervous about hidden damages.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
hankaye

Movin' on, Howdy;

Sorry to hear that your plans were ruined.
I-68 is an interesting stretch of highway.
What caused the damage to the curbside of the RV ?
Was the "stoopid human" passing you on the Right-hand side?
What did Trooper Bob have to say and anyone cited?

Hope the rest of your Holiday Season works out better for you.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin' on View Post
What would happen if we were 1000 miles away? What do you do?
I'd like to hear from others who have been in similar situations far from home and what they did.
Glad you're OK.
We had a major mechanical breakdown 300 miles from home, 900 miles from our destination (Class-C). About 1 dealer in 10 can handle a class-C. After holing up in a hotel for 3 days, waiting on a dealer to get parts - they indicated the repair would take more than 2 weeks.

We rented a Tahoe and a cargo trailer, packed it up, and continued on our way.. I got the Tahoe at a discount rate from the dealer, ended up putting 2400 miles on it in 3 weeks.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I was heading off deer hunting in Oct. with the TT traveling I 84 around 5am.
Almost no traffic, I was on CC at 65mph. A vehicle slowly overtakes me in the left lane. That's fine with me, no other traffic anywhere. The car passes me and switches into the right lane about 12 inches from my front bumper. Unbelievable how some people drive. The driver put his life and mine in danger. I rarely due anything unless in a patrol vehicle but, this time, I put the lights on bright and keep on the horn until he speed up and was a safe distance. There are way to many people driving who do not care or understand what danger they are to others on the roads. And after stopping them or investigating crashes they caused, some still think they drive great. The common statement is I always drive this way. Yea, that I do believe.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Movin' on, Howdy;

Sorry to hear that your plans were ruined.
I-68 is an interesting stretch of highway.
What caused the damage to the curbside of the RV ?
Was the "stoopid human" passing you on the Right-hand side?
What did Trooper Bob have to say and anyone cited?

Hope the rest of your Holiday Season works out better for you.

hankaye
All the damage is on the traffic side. We were in the right lane at the interchange of I-68 and I-79 southbound which is notorious for accidents (flawed design). Speed limit there is 50 but the lady in the GMC Yukon was obviously going way too fast and the road was wet. Didn't see her until I heard tires squealing and then she was bouncing off the concrete barrier and headed straight into the side of the Cougar. Hard to believe you can get "T-boned" going the same direction.

The lady Trooper said "it's close to Christmas and she (the other driver) has kids, so I'm not giving her a citation, just a warning."

Oh well, it could have been much worse, so I'm very thankful. Now we get to go shopping for another 5ver....this one is definitely totaled....frame is bent, the whole rig is somewhat twisted. Hopefully the insurance company will agree.

Thanks to all for your replies. It's nice to know my Keystone family cares.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
notanlines

Most certainly this close to Christmas and she has kids makes all the difference on why she didn't get a citation.......did I miss something?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

Glad you are OK and sorry about your trip being ruined along with your 5er.

I would have asked the trooper to give her a citation. I would certainly call and write his superior and let him know I was disappointed and would voice that to the governor! A citation may have given her reason to think of her kids and others in the future.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
jsmith948

Well, I've heard of the "good ol' boy's network", I guess this was the "good ol' girls network? Bet that "she bear" would have cited a man? Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
hankaye

Movin' on, Howdy;

Sorry, I got myself turned around looking at the 1st photo I got stoopid
myself as I was thinking waste drain was on the curbside dhooo!

Like the others have mentioned, she should have received a citation, don't
know how the laws read in Wva, but it may be a reason for the insurance
co. to disallow the claim without the fault not being firmly placed, as it would
with a citation.
I've been through that interchange many times in a big truck. Not an nice
experience on a nice day either.

Hope your Holidays are safe and enjoyable.

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Regarding to cite or not.. Police have the right to take action such as a cite or arrest or warn on most things. But, I was trained when someone is the cause of a crash that damaged another's property or injured someone. They get a cite or arrested. 30 years of working nearly every holiday and about 20 of that traffic enforcement getting yelled at by the person receiving it for writing cites on or near Christmas was a given. It's just part of the job. This crash should have had a cite issued.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin' on View Post
The lady Trooper said "it's close to Christmas and she (the other driver) has kids, so I'm not giving her a citation, just a warning."
I hope the trooper didn't cause any trouble for your insurance company collecting from hers. If she wasn't cited, she probably won't be "at fault" from an insurance perspective. Holidays or not, that seems like the wrong thing to do by the trooper.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #14
Movin' on

They have Geico Insurance, and the adjuster is scheduled for Monday morning. I've already been "interrogated" on the phone by Geico. Our conversation was being recorded, and I was very careful in my choice of words. Kind of obvious they are trying to get me to say something that would cast blame on me. I don't think it worked.

We are assuming (and I shouldn't assume anything) that since Geico is talking to us and coming to look at the Cougar, that the other party is insured, and that Geico is accepting some degree of responsibility in this.

I guess we'll find out on Monday. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks again for all the replies.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:45 AM   #15
jsmith948

The Geico adjuster's job is to save the company money. I would pay for a copy of the police report in order to see which way the officer on scene slanted the report. Since she didn't cite the other driver, she may well have written the report in such a way as to be harmful to you. I would also be wary of any further communication with the other driver's insurance company. I would turn this mess over to my insurance company and let them fight it out - that's what you pay your premiums for. Considering the possible costs to you in increased premiums/ loss of coverage/ being sued by the other driver, etc, I think I would seek the advice of a lawyer. That cop did not do you ANY favors! JMHO

Added on edit: I do not mean to suggest legal action on your part, just protect your interests - I'm not a fan of suing at the drop of a hat - but, and this may come as a shock, but the other driver may have lied to the cop. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:23 AM   #16
JimQ

Sorry to hear of your accident and I am glad everyone is alright. It is a good thing the other party that caused the accident received a written warning. Why? It puts them at fault. Here in Massachusetts, there is no appeal on a written warning and it puts that party at fault for the accident. If there was an actual citation, the party could file for an appeal, resulting in a hearing where a clerk or judge could throw it out. So, a written warning after an accident serves a purpose! Hope you have a Merry Christmas despite this unfortunate accident.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:05 AM   #17
old timer

Always take pictures of the other car and person driving. I wouldn't talk to Geico just refer them to your insurance guy. Let them hash it out. She should have gotten a ticket. She was a danger to herself and her kids. Looks like you too.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #18
hankaye

Howdy All;

Here in N.M. it sounds strange but anytime, ANYTIME there is a child
involved in any situation where there is a Law Enforcement officer involved
even a traffic accident the person who is at fault (determined by the LEO),
also is charged with Child Abuse. So, had that accident occurred here in NM,
the Mom would have been charged as stated above. Strange how the
legal systems vary from State to State ...

Old 12-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

It's a shame your trip was ruined. Thankfully you and yours escaped without any serious injuries. The other driver should have been charged; it is inexplicable to me how the trooper could just "overlook" what they did, particularly with kids in the car.

If you've never been to Fredericksburg you should plan on making the trip at another time. It would have been neat for you at Christmas but other times of the year are neat too...and lots of hill country to explore beyond there.

Hoping you have great Christmas holiday and that you get the RV replaced without a lot of hassle. As has been said, I think I would let my insurance company do the talking and take the lead on protecting your interests. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #20
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The other driver should have been charged; it is inexplicable to me how the trooper could just "overlook" what they did, particularly with kids in the car.

If you've never been to Fredericksburg you should plan on making the trip at another time. It would have been neat for you at Christmas but other times of the year are neat too...and lots of hill country to explore beyond there.
The other driver didn't have her kids in the car, just her husband. She kept saying my kids are at home waiting for me. That's what the Trooper meant too, "she has kids at home."

Anyway..... yes, we have been to Fredericksburg before, that's why we were going back, and when we get back on the road we still are going there. Got to have some of those Fredericksburg Pecan Company treats! We felt very welcome and comfortable everywhere we went in Texas. The only problem with Texas, it's just too far from one side to the other. just kidding of course.