Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #21
gearhead

^^^Yes sir those turdukhens are to die for. Wife says HEB Grocery in Beaumont has a pretty good selection of Cajun specialties. Not sure if all their stores have it.
For camping I will grill the usual...burgers, steaks, pork chops. If we are doing a lot of travelling everyday we keep plenty of frozen stuff. I like to freeze shepherds pie to get my meat and veggies. We use a lot of paper goods.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #22
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Steve S, no, the idea was not mine. I saw the pictures on line somewhere and it just looked like something kids would get a hoot out of. With thanksgiving around the corner I will tell you something that was my idea. I partially pre-baked a Cornish game hen and then slid it into the turkey's larger cavity, and smoked/roasted the bird to completion. When I had all the family around (and the kids up front) I started to slice the bird and then used a spatula to slide out the game hen and said "Oh, look, she was going to have a baby!" I got a lot of laughs, groans and whatever until my daughter (who was about 28) said "Oh, Daddy, that's so sad...." She caught herself just then and turned red as a beet, but she has taken a verbal beating about it every holiday since.
K you have my full attention now and yes I would love to to pics and instructions on how you do this I've never heard of doing anything like this before and this really sounds cool!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I use Jimmy dean sausage. Layer potatoes and veggies on it. Then roll it and wrap it in bacon lattice. Cook on BBQ wrapped in foil.

Been known to make them at home. I will post pics with step by step instructions.
Pics and instructions would be great Chuck
Old 11-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #24
koko

We make a lot of food at home and freeze it before we leave to use when we don't have time to cook. We do this especially when we're going to be gone for a couple of months. We make large quantities of breakfast burritos wrapped in foil and freeze them - just throw in the oven - for use when we're in a rush to get out of camp in the morning. Also bring frozen biscuits and bring gravy that we prepare and froze at home. We bring homemade soup that we freeze in containers-for-two and lasagna or spaghetti sauce that we make at home and freeze for a quick meal when we get back late from sightseeing or we're somewhere that doesn't have a great restaurant we want to try (we're from a town that has few restaurants, so we're restaurant-deprived). Of course, we also bring foods that we cook on site, but it's nice to have some frozen homemade options; and because they're frozen, they don't spoil and last the whole trip.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #25
Steve S

Another thing that I was going to mention; I've read many times that people don't like to cook bacon inside as the smell lingers. Here's what I do: I cook a whole package of bacon on a tray in the oven then when it cools off I put the bacon in zip lock bags and freeze them. When I need some bacon to go with the eggs I just nuke what I need for a few seconds and bingo there's no smell
Old 11-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #26
B-O-B'03

My wife is a fantastic cook and she will usually make a big pot of her "white lightnin'" chicken chili and freeze it in portions.

With the outdoor kitchen and cast iron griddle, for the WeberQ, we do most of our cooking outside, unless it requires a microwave or oven.

The wife makes an awesome shrimp and cheese grits, I grill burgers, steaks, chops and am in charge of breakfast.

Nothing is better than camp cooked food

I think we eat better camping than at home, maybe that is just part of the camping thrill.

-Brian
Old 11-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #27
notanlines

John, (and the rest of you) when you start talking about restaurants and food in Louisiana it is like a whole 'nother world!
Let's start with crab cakes at Hurricane Hole in Grand Isle, move on to shrimp (BIG shrimp) on your grille when you stay at Beaudreaux's cabins/motel just south of Golden Meadow. When you simply can't eat another bite and it's time to head home, slide by Restaurant des Familles outside of new Orleans on the west bank (Marrero I think) for anything on the menu. In the morning be at Mother's on Poydras for the very best breakfast anywhere on the planet, probably crawfish etouffee and then on up I-55 towards Memphis and stop at Middendorf's for gumbo and catfish atchafalaya. Better get it to go because there is no way you could eat before you get home. Yep, we spend a lot of time in Louisiana, particularly south of I-10. Brenda and I might live in the city with the very best pork barbecue and ribs in the world, but nobody cooks like Cajuns!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #28
roadglide

We have containers frozen left overs from the crock pot just like at home . I recently set up a 1000 Weber grill and see my self self's cooking a lot more out doors. I cook most meals and my lady cleans up. We use a lot of paper plates I hate to see my GF cleaning any more then she has to. Jim feel a trip to Louisiana
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #29
LuvsPalmTrees

We cook just like we do at home, except pretty much everything is cooked outside. I have made some things in our oven (cinnamon rolls, biscuits and corn bread) but mostly everything is outside. Instead of my oven being my bread box it is my microwave. Having a full kitchen is great but we prefer to cook outside. When we camp in the fall (late October) in Michigan you may have to cook inside sometimes.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #30
Javi

This is from November 12 while camped at Goose Island SP in Rockport, TX
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boil.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	9727  
Old 11-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #31
theeyres

It depends... if we only go out for 4 days, or so, we tend to take stuff we've frozen, like stew or soup, and keep it easy. It's too much work to pack food, spices, etc. to eat like we do at home. If we go out for a couple weeks or more then we pack the stuff to eat like we do at home. Like others, we do a lot of barbecuing...but we do that at home, too.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:42 AM   #32
crash

We cook everything outside with either the grill, crock pot or my can cooker
Attached Images

2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #33
Murphsmom

We do have one other favorite that is easy to do. I use a box of DaVinci tortellini and dress it with Kraft Tuscan House Italian. Some chopped leftover chicken mixed in it makes a good main dish. Add in some grape tomatoes and cucumber, and you have a complete meal.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #34
HANGAR

We actually eat "better" camping than we do at home. If we're going to take a week-long trip, steak & lobster is an automatic. Boil the lobster briefly and then toss it on the grill with the steak.
HANGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #35
michael_h

we're leaving Nov26 to go camping, we're having turkey, cranberry, string beans, sweet potato's, pumpkin pie. We cook most everything outside on a small Coleman combo grill-stove, but this time we're cooking a small bird night before at home and warming it up the day of. Other than that we basically cook when camping like we do at home, anything from spaghetti to BBQ
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #36
Hideout17

I bought a charcoal grill on sale a lowes for 49$ and love it. Has taken a little time to,understand how to use it effectively. Taste is great always juicy, ribs steaks chicken etc. Anything i can google up i can make in our trailer....
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #37
randy69

I live in southern califorina. Camp mainly in the high desert. I have learned through the years. What type of Mexican foods to take camping. For bbq it would be marnated ranchera and debone chicken. Mexican style. Chorezo sausage. My home made salsa, and tortias. This stuff can be added to your beacon and eggs breakfast the next day. Of coarse I always bring ribeye steaks.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #38
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
John, (and the rest of you) when you start talking about restaurants and food in Louisiana it is like a whole 'nother world!
Let's start with crab cakes at Hurricane Hole in Grand Isle, move on to shrimp (BIG shrimp) on your grille when you stay at Beaudreaux's cabins/motel just south of Golden Meadow. When you simply can't eat another bite and it's time to head home, slide by Restaurant des Familles outside of new Orleans on the west bank (Marrero I think) for anything on the menu. In the morning be at Mother's on Poydras for the very best breakfast anywhere on the planet, probably crawfish etouffee and then on up I-55 towards Memphis and stop at Middendorf's for gumbo and catfish atchafalaya. Better get it to go because there is no way you could eat before you get home. Yep, we spend a lot of time in Louisiana, particularly south of I-10. Brenda and I might live in the city with the very best pork barbecue and ribs in the world, but nobody cooks like Cajuns!
Boy you got the Cajun going. We normally don't get around New Orleans very often, but I'm going to try Middendorf's sometime.
But we do Lafayette occasionally. Prejeans at 1-10/I-49 is decent, but seems to be sliding. Café Vermillionville on Pinhook in Lafayette had great gumbo last time we were there. I think that may be the oldest standing building in Lafayette. We usually default to Pappadeaux's in the Houston area. The only Landry's I will eat at is in Breaux Bridge on I-10.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #39
MotownJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANGAR View Post
We actually eat "better" camping than we do at home. If we're going to take a week-long trip, steak & lobster is an automatic. Boil the lobster briefly and then toss it on the grill with the steak.
Boy I'm with you there - better camping than at home per orders from the missus.

Tri-tip steak on the Traeger grill one night, salmon steaks on the same Traeger another night, smoked pizzas, smoked salmon snacks with wine crackers and cheese in the afternoons, egads, she has me eating like a king when we travel in the RV!
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote