Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
C130

Big Rig Friendly Texas State Parks

Just bought a new toy hauler which is about 42-43 feet total length. We camp at Lake Livingston State Park a lot and would like some information or recommendations from those that have 40 ft plus 5th wheels. I have spot 57 booked on the lake for several occasions if anyone is familiar with that spot. It's plenty long enough and we've stayed at this spot several times. My concern is the road is very narrow with a drainage ditch across the other side. I didn't have much trouble with this spot with my previous 35 foot toy hauler, only issue I had last time was the person across from me was parked at the very end of his site which made it hard for me to get in.

We knew this would limit us in to some state parks but does anyone have any information on any particular state parks in Texas that will accommodate 40 foot plus 5th wheels? Lake Livingston has a few spots that state they'll accommodate this size but again getting in to them due to the ditches is the issue from what I've read online and from personal experience.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
bsmith0404

So far I've been to quite a few locations where some have complained about access. I personally don't get upset about having to work at it a bit, I actually get some satisfaction out of being able to finagle my trailer into the space. We recently camped at a location with some friends where I talked him back into a space that he didn't think he could get into. Afterwards he said it was a good thing I was there, if he had backed in with his wife giving directions it would have ended in a yelling match and ruined the entire weekend. It was tight, had to fold mirrors in a couple times to avoid trees. I've had some where I get out and checked my clearances several times, even with my wife and son communicating it all to me via cell phone. I've had some park owners cut off tree branches to avoid scratching my RV. So far I haven't found a space that I can't get into if the park owner/manager says a 40' 5er will fit. Moral of the story, if you like the location, take your time, plan it out and walk it before trying to maneuver, and then just enjoy the experience.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
dwkhumble

Texas campgrounds

Sam Houston state park, as some full hookup spots, that can handle you rig.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkhumble View Post
Sam Houston state park, as some full hookup spots, that can handle you rig.
Where is this park located? We've stayed at Huntsville while tent camping but not in the toy hauler. There's another park up by Lake Conroe I want to check out, think it's Cagle
Old 09-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
Javi

Well that didn't take long, congrats on the new TH...

There are plenty of SP that have pads 45 foot long, the problem is where to park the TV and the getting into the spot with a 40ft plus 23 foot of TV.. I don't know how many times I've had folks with short bed TV and 35 foot trailers tell me OH... you'll fit in there easily..

The other consideration has to be the availability of the few spots when you get there.. Most of the parks don't dole out the sites by length. I know when you go online they ask you the length but that's as far as it goes.. When you get there you may well find the only site available is 14 feet long.. And there is a pop-up in the 100 foot site.

Some of the parks we like that can usually accommodate 40 plus feet are Caddo, Goose Island, Mustang Island, Tyler, Tawakoni, and Whitney. Also don't forget about Corp parks, there are some real nice ones with full hook-ups and large pads.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Good points from Javi, we seldom use state parks even though they are cheaper, they are inconsistent on how they give out sites. There are a few exceptions, but I like to visit them first so I know the layout. With larger RVs like ours I prefer to stay with privately owned parks where the person you talk to for the reservation is the same person you deal with when you arrive and have to set up in a site. Yes a 40' RV and 25' TV take considerable amount of space. Sometimes even a 65' site leaves you hanging over a bit by the time you get to where your sewer connections reach without being stretched across the entire site. IMO, 65' is the minimum length, even then I've had some where I had to drop the tailgate and back the truck under the nose of the RV to stay out of the road.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
MBD

I usually don't stay at Texas state parks because most of them lack full hookups (sewer). I am also embarrassed to say that TPW has let almost all parks fall into a pitiful state of disrepair.

I have been to Cagle several times. It is a Corp of Engineer park and is a great place. Most spots will handle a 40' with no problem. You will definitely have to unhook your TV as the spots are back-in and not pull through.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #8
dcg9381

I've had good luck calling and asking.. Indicating that I'm in a "big" rig and ask what the options are. Usually I get a great response. That's 2nd best to doing a drive-through beforehand...

Some TX sites that have no one on-site, calling doesn't help.

And yea, I've had to back myself out of wrong turns where we couldn't make it...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
C130

The thing I like about Lake Livingston is you can reserve spots around the lake. I'm pretty good about being on their web site at midnight the day it'll let me reserve. I have what I consider one of the best spots for November and December. I book if I even think I might use it and cancel if my schedule doesn't work out. But, the lake spots fill up as soon as they are available to book. One issue is a lot of people don't use the spot they reserved and don't cancel. Every single time we go caming there are numerous prime spots that never get used. I guess I'll find out if I can fit in to spot 57 in a couple of months, hopefully no one will be around to watch the excitement!

Javi, no it didn't take long! I had a set price and said if I can buy a new one at this price I will, if not I'll wait for winter or try used also. I told two local dealers the price I was wiling to pay and was basically told I was crazy. It only took two phone calls and the second call resulted in an agreed upon price. It only took a couple of minutes to reach a deal. Dealer said it was their last one and it was costing them money to keep it on the lot so they preferred to move it. Dealer was great, very easy to work with from start to finish. I spent all day going through it and anything I found they immediately took care of it. We spent the night in their parking lot for one last check on everything then headed home.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
gearhead

I like Martin Dies State Park as well as Livingston. There is a COE park there as well.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
gearhead

Martin Dies

room for more...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00506.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	9459  
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #12
C130

Any experience at Cagle? I'm trying to find a spot close by in a couple of weeks since my daughter has cheer competition team practice on Sunday afternoons. Need to be able to drive her to practice for a couple of hours. It looks pretty nice and located on Lake Conroe. A spot (44 feet) just opened up but hoping one a little lager comes open.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
Bob Landry

A drive through in a Texas State Park, will give you an idea what you would like to have, but you can not reserve a specific site and the person behind the counter hands out sites first come first serve.For that reason, I have switched to using COE parks almost exclusively. Few of the Corp parks have sewer connections, but the careful use of water and the usually pristine conditions of the Corp parks make them a worthwhile choice.
TP&WD needs to send someone up to Arkansas to learn how to run state parks. Those people are at the top of their game.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
C130

Cagle is listed under the USDA Forrest Service parks and you can reserve a specific spot it appears. I need to drive up there as it's not too far away, maybe 45 minutes. Lake Livingston is a state park and you can reserve a specific site on the loop by the lake which is where we stay if we go. Lake Livingston was a trial run on the site specific reservations but they have done it for at least a year. Bad part is a lot of people reserve 10 months out or whatever the max is and never show up. There are always numerous prime spots not used every time we go.

One issue with Lake Livingston is they won't cut down some trees though they are right in the way and a big danger when backing in. Some block awnings or slide outs also. There's one very nice spot that backs right up to the lake and it has a tree right at the edge when you back in. Branch overhangs the pad and it shows signs that several people have hit it. Numerous complaints but nothing done about it. It a nice, long pad but one tree in the way. I've stayed at it a few times and it can be a pain to get it backed in all because of the one tree. I understand saving trees but not when people are damaging their RV's or can't get their slide outs out.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #15
MBD

I don't have the website handy, but you can reserve and pay for your spot at Cagle on the internet.

What type of information do you require about the campground?
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #16
C130

I wound up getting a spot at Cagle, pretty nice place with full hookups. Lots of space between each site, most I've seen. The only issue is you can only book via the internet 2 days in advance and anything less is walk up only. But, when you drive up they are unable to see if anyone's cancelled on the current date as they have no computers. They get a printout each morning and that's what they go by, no exceptions apparently. Two spots opened up on Friday and were available according to their website and after speaking with reservations. But, it's walk up only and as I said the person working at Cagle is unable to verify they were cancelled. I booked Sunday through Tuesday online then drove up. Luckily, they let me use one of their two spots they reserve for any sites that might have issues and normally don't let people book them.

Anyways, we like it here and it's very quiet. Nice wide road around campground and no trees in the way around the sites. The office has no way to take money either, you just drop off either cash or check and drop it in the box.

My concern was having a 42 foot trailer and getting in a spot. We really like Lake Livingston but they have some narrow roads with drainage ditches on each side making it very hard or impossible with large rigs or at lest that's my concern. Cagle does not have this issue. It's our first camping trip in our new trailer so still getting used to the length and concerned about where I can get in and out of.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:03 AM   #17
rjsurfer

On my way to Palo Duro today, if I remember correctly there are some sites that will fit big rigs. If I find out differently I will post back.

The only issue at Palo Duro State Park is getting down into the canyon 10% grades and sharp switchbacks.

I sure hope I don't meet someone coming up from the Canyon as I go down!

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #18
shmthaus

We have a 43' TH and wondered about the size of sites also. We found some long sites at Tawakoni, but not many.

Mother Neff has 17 brand new sites (opened in Feb 2015) and most of them can accommodate a long rig. A couple of them are double wide.

We drove through Tyler and couldn't find any that we thought would work. Also, the roads twist and turn and are narrow.

Eisenhower has a couple of pull through (curved pads) that can fit us, but it was hard to level. The first site caused our driver side wheels to come off the ground about 3 inches. I didn't have boards to drive up on. I had to use lynx levelers under the driver side levelers or they wouldn't extend all the way.

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
shmthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:45 AM   #19
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
On my way to Palo Duro today, if I remember correctly there are some sites that will fit big rigs. If I find out differently I will post back.

The only issue at Palo Duro State Park is getting down into the canyon 10% grades and sharp switchbacks.

I sure hope I don't meet someone coming up from the Canyon as I go down!

Ron W.
OK, we found plenty of sites for longer trailers here.

And the drive down/up the Canyon wasn't as bad as I remembered.

Lovely park.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote