Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2015, 05:36 AM   #1
deltadude

Florida Keys

Last year the wife and I did a road trip for a month with our car from our home in CA along HWY 40 down into Memphis then Nashville and worked our way down the coast to Daytona Beach and across to Siesta Keys and then up around the redneck Riviera to New Orleans and then home via HWY 10. We have since bought a trailer and would like to spend a few weeks in the Florida Keys this November. We downloaded the RV Parky app and have been looking at that for places to stay. Can anyone give us some recommendations? We have a 25' bumper pull so we should fit in most parks.
deltadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
Hoef

Deltadude... Not sure if you've been to The Keys, before, but if you haven't, you're in for a treat!
Having lived there for ten years, before moving to Bradenton, some handy tips include:
1- Most of the Keys use the mile marker system, coupled with "ocean side" or "bay side" to locate a place (e.g.- "I live at MM74.5, bay side").
2- Each area (Upper, middle, lower and Key West) has its own unique "flavor". Recommend that you don't make the mistake that many do and zoom past everything else to get to "Key Weird". Each area is pretty cool, in its own way...
3- DO stop at some of the smaller restaurants and shops.
4- Don't rush things...there is a great deal to be taken in.

Sorry that I can't, specifically, address campgrounds, but, hey, I lived there...no need to, back then.

Hope you enjoy your journey... Hoef
Hoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
dhn

When we planned our 4500 mile trip to Yellowstone we used this site: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/ to get reviews of campgrounds.
We also used Google Earth/Maps to get a lay of the campground, and some had street view to see what the campground looks like. Hope this helps.

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

We used to spend a month each year at mi. marker 33 ( Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge ) Cleanest bath house I have ever seen. Has it's own marina for boat rentals or charters for fishing or diving. Great place to relax but only 30 miles from the wild life in Key West. HERE is a good link to campgrounds in the Keys.

This is good advise from the above link:
We strongly advise campers and recreational-vehicle owners to make reservations in advance at one of the following parks or campgrounds, particularly during the winter.

Recreational vehicles and campers are not permitted along U.S. 1, the Overseas Highway, after 11 p.m. Camping in public parking lots is discouraged and barred in many areas of the Keys.

Also remember in most places it is one lane in and one lane out. School zones are 15 mph and enforced.

It is like another world ..... you will enjoy it, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:27 AM   #5
deltadude

Thanks for the info. We are really looking forward to this trip.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
cathcartww

We are pretty familiar with most of the campgrounds in the Keys, and even though November is not the "height" of the season, it is probably pretty busy. I think you may have to piece together reservations from several different camggrounds. The State Parks, for instance, pretty much book up 11 months ahead of time. If you have any specific questions, let us know ....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:06 AM   #7
buckeyebobhockingcamper

keys campground

we haved stayed at jolly roger rv park in grassy key(marathon) for the last 2 winters and will be back this winter.after examining all of them we chose this one and love it!!!!they also do passport america for 5 days which is unheard of in florida winter.marathon puts you in the middle of 100 mile stretch of keys.very friendly staff,clean showers,nice dock to watch sunset etc.campgrounds are sparse in the keys and state parks VERY hard to get into.ours is booked full for 3 month stays now!call and make reservations or you wont get in . knights key has no pool and no sewer hookups,sunshine key is very nice,fiesta key not as nice.i wouldnt recomend key west as they are really tight and expensive.if you want to see lots of lobsters,pelicans,occasional manatee and relax in a laid back atmosphere,jolly roger is my recomendation,but reserve now!!any questions about dining,beaches etc in keys ask me and i will help. buckeyebob
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
chris199

We visited the Keys last Christmas for 2 weeks. Stayed at the KOA. Enjoyed it! Mile marker 11 I believe. Stay back by the mangroves...more space and privacy.

Lots to visit.and see on Key West proper. Be sure.to take in Truman's little.white house. He stayed there often during his 7 yr 9 mo as President. Advise also taking a fishing charter for a few hrs if you have a group and are into fishing. Take your catch to a local restaurant and they prepare it for a reasonable charge. We took ours to the restaurant on the other side of Rt 1 from the KOA. I'm not a fish eater but WOW that was good. The best fish I've ever had!

Have fun! Wear sunscreen!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:47 AM   #9
deltadude

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We just returned from a 4 day cruise. We took the grandkids on their first cruise. We decided that a run to Florida might be more than we should take on seeing as how we've only been out twice so far with our new to us trailer. Instead, we are going to take it down to the San Diego area and stay there for a couple weeks. Maybe next year try the Keys.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:18 AM   #10
SloMo

The DW and I stayed at Boyd's Key West for a week last month and loved every second of it!!! My review is in the RV Parky app.

Maurice
'09 Suzuki LTZ400 Limited
8 Year Army Vet
SloMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:22 AM   #11
340_Formula_S

I stayed at Sunshine Key RV Resort on Big Pine Key. It is the first campground after you come off of the seven mile bridge. Nice campground, gated and has a well stocked store. There is also propane and fuel available.

Elko, Va.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins High Output
2012 Cedar Creek 36B2
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
kmc58

We have stayed at Grassy Key Campground and also the Sugarloaf KOA

www.grassykeyrvpark.com
http://koa.com/campgrounds/sugarloaf-key/

Both were very nice but I liked the KOA the best
kmc58 is offline   Reply With Quote