Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2016, 05:59 AM   #61
NotyetMHCowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
What do you have your trailer brakes set for in you DIC? I think there light - medium and heavy settings or something like that. My defaulted to the lowest setting and after increasing to the highest setting I could lock up the tires on gravel at 7.5.

What is DIC? My truck is a 2006 so I don't think I have any further adjustments with my controller. I have read everything I could find about it hoping there was an additional setting. Is the "light, medium, hard" settings just for the newer trucks?
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #62
Tom N OH

Yes, 2014 & up, I believe.

2017 F350 CC LB SRW 6.7
2015 Montana HC 305RL
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #63
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
To the OP, have you performed the brake burnishing procedure as described in the Dexter Axle manual? We have the same 5er & I was also concerned about the lack of braking until we were on a longer trip about a month ago. I decided to try the burnishing procedure & it made a HUGE difference! I can now drag the tires on gravel quite easily & on pavement with a hard application. Still keep my 2012 F250's factory brake controller set on 10, though. Here's the PDF of the Dexter manual. Burnishing procedure is described at the bottom of page 16.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/614960...ric_Brakes.pdf
Filed in GoodReader for future reference.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #64
jje1960

Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
I've left it at the default (5.0) never really felt it necessary to change it, had to stop immediately many times....
Just this year we have noticed a degradation in the brakes, however after using them on the last trip they came back to what we considered 'normal'. I suspect that the electrical contacts just needed time working to get back to normal. We currently only use the trailer in the summer for a few trips.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 AM   #65
Titan Guy

I have been following this thread for some time and because there are so many variables, there is just too much to try to address in a post.
A couple of things. With electric brakes there are so many moving parts, potential wiring and controller issues, it is difficult to adequately troubleshoot a problem.
With disc brakes, we minimize all the moving parts and eliminate wiring issues from the junction box to the wheels. So when we troubleshoot a problem with disc brakes it's the brand of actuator, voltage from the controller to the junction box and the specific controller Year, Ford, GM, Ram Integrated and aftermarket controllers all operate a little differently and remedies are different but can easily be fixed.
My installers have installed over 200 disc brake systems, so there isn't much we haven't encountered.
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #66
Timon

There are several conversions kits for moving from drum to disk using electric over hydraulic. What I'm wondering if there is one that does electric over hydraulic disc with ABS?