Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
glenalt

Insurance Question

I was wondering where everyone get their insurance for their 5er? I just got an adjusted premium from State Farm. They base it on the MSRP which is over $36,000. They sell all over for $23-27,000. It raises my premium by about $150 a year. The interesting thing is that if it got stolen or burned down they wouldn't pay me the 36 grand but would look for a replacement which can be had for the mid twenties price. So I'm paying for ten thousand dollars of coverage which I would never get. Anyone have any suggestions?
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Richard6959

Like the commercial.... the better question is why do you have that insurance?

If your a veteran, go with USAA.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

State Farm, at least in Michigan doesn't offer a competitive RV policy. They offer a "pittance" for total loss coverage, no towing, no roadside repair for the RV, limited reimbursement for any personal property loss and if you have a breakdown on a Sunday evening, you'll be stuck until your agent gets to the office on Monday morning.....

You might want to look at Good Sam insurance (usually underwritten by Progressive) or look at Progressive insurance. Both offer a "true RV" policy that covers RV specific items such as the large amount of personal property contained in most "RV homes", towing for the RV (not just the tow vehicle), replacement with a new similar model in the event of a total loss in the first "specified in the policy" number of years (this varies by company and policy). One of the nicest is the availability to put your liability portion "on hold" during periods of non-use such as over the winter when it's parked behind the house with a cover on it or in storage and not being used. If this applies to you, you can save about half the monthly premium charge during months of non-use.

You can do much better than an auto insurance company by shopping around. While I've listed two, GS and Progressive, there are a number of other companies that offer RV specific insurance coverage that is much more comprehensive than State Farm.

There are a couple of threads on the forum about this topic. Do a forum search for "insurance" and you should find them. There's some good information in them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
GaryWT

My insurance is with the truck and the same company. Actually could not tell you what I am paying.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
floatflyer

Try Nationwide Insurance. It never hurts to shop around a bit.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
Desert185

After shopping around, to include Good Sam, I went with Hartford (AARP) for a premium of only ~$400/year (multi vehicle discount with no violations, bruises or dents in the driving history). I then joined Good Sam with travel insurance at a big discount offered when I bought a few accessories from CW during an online sale.

As a side note, I quit AARP, telling them I didn't agree with their political policies. Oddly, they renewed me for three years at their expense. The card does provide a few discounts here and there, to include the occasional meal at Denny's when other, better options are not available. What the heck...I kept the cards. AARP. Those are benefits I can use as I slide into real retirement.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
After shopping around, to include Good Sam, I went with Hartford (AARP) for a premium of only ~$400/year (multi vehicle discount with no violations, bruises or dents in the driving history). I then joined Good Sam with travel insurance at a big discount offered when I bought a few accessories from CW during an online sale.

As a side note, I quit AARP, telling them I didn't agree with their political policies. Oddly, they renewed me for three years at their expense. The card does provide a few discounts here and there, to include the occasional meal at Denny's when other, better options are not available. What the heck...I kept the cards. AARP. Those are benefits I can use as I slide into real retirement.
They did the same thing with me. I wrote them a request for a refund of unused time on my membership explaining the reasons why I felt I could no longer support the organization. They sent me a complete refund of that year's dues and a free membership for the next 3 years as well. My guess is they are losing members and want to keep the "number of people represented high enough to still claim the "biggest retirement organization"... I sent the card back and declined their "gift" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

If you haven't made a decision on insurance try Geico. When we purchased our RV earlier this year I called most every insurance company (except State Farm since I knew that was a lost cause) to price and compare. Geico has a section devoted to RVs and their plan carried most of the things Good Sam did. Good Sam had a couple of higher coverages but it was on little things like personal liability; 1k vs 3k for GS and 5k vs 10k for personal belongings (these are from memory), but, their rate was significantly lower. Roadside assistance came with it but I bought Good Sam as well. They also give you a new, current model year RV if yours is totaled for the first 7 years. I just tacked it on with some of my other vehicles.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
mcsearch1

I have Progressive. It's reasonably priced and I did have a claim that was processed quickly and professionally.
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Brantlaker

2X on Progressive I have them for all of my Toys they send an adjuster to the repair shop they settle on a price to repair and wight a check on the spot. they did this on my last TT,Boat and HD. Last Spring I had a blowout on 5er and 3 days later had a check for $11,000.for the repair. When I was working in my last Dealership they paid my Body Shop right a way.Nice and easy to do business with.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
mazboy123

insurance

just start calling around.

each company is sooooo difference.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #12
Pmedic4

Insurance and what you are requesting/buying

I also found like MAZBOY123, what you get from one insurance company may be quite different than what you get from another. If you have a loan on your RV, you will probably need an insurance plan like a homeowners policy, that covers the RV when your not using it. Another insurance policy, such as Coach-Net will provide coverage for when your moving the RV from site to site, but won't pay anything when your in a campsite or in storage.

The best example I can give you for this is when looking at the Coach-Net site, if you look at the descriptions, you'll see this under one of their optional 'provided services' - most importantly, not included in the roadside assistance policy:
RV Insurance
Members can save up to 5% with National Interstate Insurance Company. Policies are offered for motor homes, bus conversions, fifth wheels, stationary or travel trailers and pop-up units. Since an RV is really your home on wheels, National Interstate's specialty programs combine many of the features of an auto policy with those of a homeowner's policy.
I have to imagine, someone paid cash for their dream $50,000 RV and had purchased a good policy for Roadside Assistance, only to have major damage when there was a fire while using it at the campground They probably got it towed to a repair facility, but the repairs weren't covered by the Roadside Assistance policy.

I have found some policies that cover both types of situations, but in my experience, it appears to be less expensive to buy both types of coverage separately. Someone may have some great inexpensive policy for all around coverage, but I haven't found that to be less expensive the 2 plans covering for both types.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

State laws and insurance regulations pretty much control the type of policy and the coverage allowed to be sold in that particular state. What's available in one state may not (probably isn't) available nationwide and in Canada.

In some states, an RV is "covered" by the towing vehicle insurance when they are hooked up, by the home owner's insurance when parked on a pad at home and by the "RV insurance" when at a campground. In that situation, the RV insurance would likely cost much less than in a state where "if it has a license plate and registration, it must have independent insurance coverage".... Example: In Michigan, my farm tractor is covered by my home owners insurance while in the pole barn or when being used on my property, but my Cougar or my boat and trailer are not covered when parked side by side with my farm tractor in the pole barn. Reason: The RV, boat AND trailer both require registration so they are "independent vehicles" the tractor does not require registration, so it is covered.... That's per State Farm...

What works in one state may not apply to where you are living. Fortunately, almost all insurance coverage extends past state lines when travelling, but I've no doubt that there are exceptions to that as well.

No matter what insurance you buy, make sure it covers your particular needs, otherwise, you may find yourself with a significant loss that isn't covered.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
zuley

A couple of people have made mention of their insurance company cutting a cheque right away to the repair facility. This was looked upon as a good thing. In reality it is not. I've been in the automotive business for 30 plus years in Canada. My focus is dealing with collision repair facilites and insurance companies from the dealership perspective. Allstate in Canada was notorius for cutting a cheque to the collision shop at the time the appraiser wrote the estimate. All well and fine until additional work was found once the shop started to tear down the vehicle for repair. Allstates position was you have been paid for the repair in full, good luck. Numerous other providers played by the same rules but Allstate was/ is certainly the worst. Having said this there is not a collision shop out there who does not find additional work required once the repair is started.
I would not accept any sort of a payout to the repair facility until the work is completed fully. Otherwise you might be on the hook yourself for any additional hidden damage.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
CPE

insurance

I have National General Insurance (GMAC replacement Company). I had all insurance with State Farm initially then went with trailer insurance GMAC through G S. --State Farm suggested them they are half the cost and you can suspend liability when stored and get almost half your premium back! State Farm gives no credit when vehicle is stored (not driven). I can post phone if ok to do that here.
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote